Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 17 Sep 2024, 21:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2010, 02:39 

I bought the new sapphire active display port to DVI adapter to replace the dell display port adapter. I was having problems with the dell one working with the newer ATI drivers. I was having problems with the display going black sometimes. After get the new Sapphire adapter I have not had anymore issues with the display going black with my 5850 card. I wish they had sold this adapter earlier. :D

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 14:59 

I got the Accell DP to DVI adapter and was testing it out for the first time last night and have to say everything looks great until I decided to put a window up on my third monitor which isn't the one hooked to the adapter and my screen went nuts and started to flicker but then when I jumped into a game it was ok maybe a little flickering but I couldn't tell by that point so I tried the AC USB charger adapter to see if that would help the issue but it is still happening. I will also try a different usb port tonight just to be sure its not that.

computer_man20037

edit - I wanted to include what my setup for my system is... I don't have all the exact numbers that you are asking for but here is rough sketch of what my system is:

PSU: PC and Power Cooling 750W
CPU: Phenom II 965 BE OC'ed @ 3.8 (Voltage: 1.43)
Memory: 4 GB G Skills Ripjaws
Motherboard: MSI 870A Fuzion
GPU: Sapphire 5850 Vapor-X + GTS 450 OC (Dedicated Physx Card)
Hard Drives: 90 GB SSD (OS Drive) + 1 TB (Steam Games, etc) + 1.5 TB (Backups, etc)
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DX

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 01:38 

What version of driver are you using. I found the 10.1 worked the best when I had the accell adapter. The 10.3 worked with the odd flickering. I tried the 10.9 but they flickered and they also caused a BSOD. Go to newegg and buy the sapphire active display port adapter. It has been working flawless since I started using it. I have a 5850 MSI card.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 22:19 

I am currently using the latest version of the driver 10.10 and I also bought the single link adapter from accell to see if that fixes the flicking issues cause talking to Sapphire Tech Support about it they said the flickering might be due to a bad adapter from what they have heard from other people that have had the same issue. I bought the single link adapter after reading in the forum in a different post that people switching to that adapter from the dual link one fixed the flickering issue.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2010, 19:39 

ok so i found the single link adapter works great and also the dual link adapter works great also but is a little under powered at times and when going into some games it disables the third monitor causing the game not to load all the way. I found out what my flickering issue is caused by.... its the monitor itself that is flickering like crazy so I am just going to hang on to it cause I don't see it in game only when on my desktop and once it goes try to find a replacement one that is better.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2010, 04:49 

I use the Accel single link DP-DVI active adapter and have experienced some flickering in a couple games so far. It seems to me that the issue is related to screen refresh though, rather than power to the adapter.

I initially had some problems in World of Warcraft, which were resolved completely by enabling Triple Buffering.

I also had some issues with Dragon Age: Origins, which I was able to resolve by forcing vsync in CCC.

All other games I've tried so far have been flicker-free, which further leads me to believe it's not related to the adapter, but rather graphics settings, specifically with the screen refresh.

Hopefully this can help some who are also experiencing these issues.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010, 13:38 

I wonder if Gigabyte's USB On/Off Charge feature they have on their newer boards would help with any underpower issues? I have a Gigabyte board with this feature, but I've never thought to look into it let alone use it before I saw this thread. I'll be getting an Active DP - DVI Adaptor next week as I've had enough of my DP > VGA adaptor.

From what I've read, it appears the motherboard has a chip which regulates power to the On/Off USB port so that it provides as much current as the USB device needs. This is so USB rechargable devices, such as the iPad, iPhone etc, get the required current to charge at full speed. As you probably know, a standard USB connection on a PC charges slower than the wall socket powered USB charger.

http://www.gigabyte.com/press-center/news-page.aspx?nid=875

The above link shows this in effect with with an Iphone getting just above 500mA and an iPad getting just below 1000mA. I wonder what an Active DP - DVI will do?

In any case, I hope to be able to test this out next week. I don't have a multimeter at home, but I do at work and I have plenty of Gigabyte boards to play around with. If I get a chance next week, I'll have a little play around and report what I find.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010, 15:10 

Since my upgrade to the Gigabyte HD 6870, I've tried the ACCELL ACTIVE Mini DisplayPort to DVI Single Link adapter and cannot even get a screen at all. I've tried with the DP connected monitor as the ONLY one connected. It doesn't even show a display at POST.

However, CCC detects that it's connected and I can even go through all the steps to create a 3x1 Group and even get a prompt for Bezel Compensation. The power indication light on the monitor glows properly indicating that the monitor is getting some kind of signal. If I Disable the monitor there's a "No Signal" message on screen.

BUT, I cannot even access the OSD Menu of the monitor. I get nothing else at all.

I've written Gigabyte and ACCELL as well as have given Amazon.com a heads up on this issue. (That's where I bought the adapter from.) It's been over 48 hours since I emailed them and only Amazon has responded.

This particular adapter is "ATI Certified" per a sticker on the box and has the correct FW revision per a sticker on the adapter.

My PSU is a 1000W unit and since the adapter plugs only into the MiniDisplayPort on the video card -- which is powered by TWO Six-pin connections, I have to assume that it's getting enough power. But, as stated, it doesn't even POST when it's the only one connected at start up.

Am very eager to get my Eyefinity back to working.

~Windows 7 x64 Professional~MSI X58A-GD45~Intel I7-950~6x2 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Triple Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Done with Vista~XP Pro on the way out, too!~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2010, 07:04 

Ok well so much for the Gigabyte On/Off idea. I did a bit more research and discovered that it will only work with known devices and therefore requires the USB device to be detectable in Windows. Only way it would work is if someone could write their own program to make use of this chip so you could specify what current you wanted the USB to output. But I can't see this happening since I don't think it is open source.

Oh well, promising idea from Gigabyte, but not suitable to be used by an Eyefinity dongle at this stage. :(

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2010, 07:36 

As posted here....

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203046#p203046

I finally have my Eyefinity working again and did it...again...with a DP->VGA adapter made by Monster. Only this time I also had to add in a Mini-DisplayPort -> DisplayPort adapter.

~Windows 7 x64 Professional~MSI X58A-GD45~Intel I7-950~6x2 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Triple Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Done with Vista~XP Pro on the way out, too!~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next