Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 09:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 16:26 
Editors
Editors

If you want to try GTX460 Surround, providing I can have the cards back, I might be able to lend you a couple of 1GB GTX460s? Depends when you want to do it, as I've got plans for 'em and an SLI-capable AMD hexacore. :rockout Either the Crosshair IV Extreme (if I feel like blowing £250+ on a mobo) or one of the 980a Asus boards for £90... reason for this? I want to test Surround out further on an AMD system (stock and overclocked)...

Nice! :D I wonder how the AMD's compare. I've preferred Intel the last 4 CPU purchases (since my first C2D), due to lower heat and therefore I can lower noise. :)

I want to buy a single card for troubleshooting drivers and functions for members (resolutions etc) and also if Nvidia comes with some new features. Thanks though, it would have been a great offer if just to test surround. :D

MLAA seems to be a possible solution for Eyefinity AA, since it doesn't have high bandwidth requirements according to AT:

MLAA is not a new AA method, but it is the first time we’re seeing it on a PC video card. It’s already in use on video game consoles, where it’s a cheap way to implement AA without requiring the kind of memory bandwidth MSAA requires. In fact it’s an all-around cheap way to perform AA, as it doesn’t require too much computational time either.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3987/amds-radeon-6870-6850-renewing-competition-in-the-midrange-market/3

According to Catalystmaker it will be backported to 5000 series in the future:
http://twitter.com/obiwantoby/status/28409832380

Here's more on MLAA from Rage3d:
http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/video/amd_hd6870_hd6850_launch_review/index.php?p=4

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 16:41 
Editors
Editors

Well, I showed how they behave on a stock Core i7 CPU... am doing the Core i7 Overclocked runs as soon as I get time to sit down for a couple of days... so for fairness (and to really check that AMD CPU systems are no worse for gaming) I want to try with an AMD rig.

Well, that and after overclocking a Foxconn Blackops I'm sick of Intel chips for the time being and want to try AMD out again... good times were had overclocking my Opteron 170. :D

Can only hope that MLAA is as good as it sounds.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 16:47 
Editors
Editors

Well, I showed how they behave on a stock Core i7 CPU... am doing the Core i7 Overclocked runs as soon as I get time to sit down for a couple of days... so for fairness (and to really check that AMD CPU systems are no worse for gaming) I want to try with an AMD rig.

Well, that and after overclocking a Foxconn Blackops I'm sick of Intel chips for the time being and want to try AMD out again... good times were had overclocking my Opteron 170. :D

Can only hope that MLAA is as good as it sounds.

I understand the feeling. I miss having both Nvidia and ATI cards. All I have left, is an old 7800GT I salvaged and have as spare. Need a new Nvidia card and especially now that I am using Champix to quit smoking. Almost no sleep and need something to do. :P

MLAA sounds good, but its launch and everything sounds better then. It might be good in some games and others not, but if its cheap to use and uses little memory bandwidth, I think its just what people need for Eyefinity. :)

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 19:30 
Editors
Editors

I understand the feeling. I miss having both Nvidia and ATI cards. All I have left, is an old 7800GT I salvaged and have as spare. Need a new Nvidia card and especially now that I am using Champix to quit smoking. Almost no sleep and need something to do. :P

MLAA sounds good, but its launch and everything sounds better then. It might be good in some games and others not, but if its cheap to use and uses little memory bandwidth, I think its just what people need for Eyefinity. :)

Haha, aye. Good luck on quitting smoking.

I'd like a 5000 series card to play with, but all the ones that are worthwhile are too expensive! ;) (That and AMD don't do bezel management on EyeFinity unless they're all the same monitor... :( hopefully the 6000 series fixes that!)

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 22:45 
Editors
Editors

Haha, aye. Good luck on quitting smoking.

I'd like a 5000 series card to play with, but all the ones that are worthwhile are too expensive! ;) (That and AMD don't do bezel management on EyeFinity unless they're all the same monitor... :( hopefully the 6000 series fixes that!)

Its hard o stop smoking, even with pills. Worst part is that the sleep rhythm is totally broken and I sleep only a couple of hours at night.

Hopefully the Semiaccurate article was correct regarding monitor requirements, but I got the feeling the hub had something to do with it.

Btw, MLAA is now hacked for 5000 series:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=331108

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 10:24 
Editors
Editors

Its hard o stop smoking, even with pills. Worst part is that the sleep rhythm is totally broken and I sleep only a couple of hours at night.

Hopefully the Semiaccurate article was correct regarding monitor requirements, but I got the feeling the hub had something to do with it.

Btw, MLAA is now hacked for 5000 series:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=331108

I know, mate; I've had several friends try to quit over the last couple of years... one managed it when she got pregnant, but as soon as her son was born and she went back to work, stress pushed her back into smoking again. :( (Also, the whole 'getting pregnant' thing obviously won't work for you... ;) :mrgreen: )

Hacked drivers. Awesome. My experience of hacked drivers is not a good one, by and large.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 11:48 
Editors
Editors

I know, mate; I've had several friends try to quit over the last couple of years... one managed it when she got pregnant, but as soon as her son was born and she went back to work, stress pushed her back into smoking again. :( (Also, the whole 'getting pregnant' thing obviously won't work for you... ;) :mrgreen: )

Hacked drivers. Awesome. My experience of hacked drivers is not a good one, by and large.

Hey, Arnold managed to get pregnant in a movie, so there might be hope yet! :D

The hacked drivers isn't anything major. Only a .inf hack. :)

Thanks to brain_stew at B3D, we have a slipstreamed edition for 5000 series:
http://www.mediafire.com/?5h6cpooivo4sbox

Did a test in ME2 and the results were good. Need to test performance hit though. Could only capture in a window with windows snap tool:

Looks like some pixel blend effect which targets spesifically the edges. :)

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 12:17 
Editors
Editors

Admin Edit: I have removed the information to the MLAA tool at the request of AMD. The tool has not been released for distribution, and is covered by NDA. Whomever originally distributed the tool is in violation of their NDA, and the WSGF would also be in violation for knowingly providing the link.

I appreciate everyone's understanding as the WSGF complies with our NDA, and continues to build a positive relationship with AMD. The WSGF is was not the source of the leak, and Tamlin would not have posted the link had he known the tool was covered by NDA.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2010, 16:58 
Editors
Editors

WSGF was not a source of the leak. I never asked Ibrin for the tool and my source wasn't even aware that it was still under NDA.
I've removed it elsewhere as well, now that I know its under NDA. :)

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2010, 18:08 

That's where all me posts went! Well that answers why the "AA-who-must-not-be-named" didn't work as well as it should have, if it existed in the first place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next