Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 20:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 05 May 2010, 12:52 

Happy to report that these 10.4 drivers appear to have solved the DP>VGA issue, where the display on the adaptor would require unplugging/plugging in order for the monitor to be detected correctly (otherwise it would get locked at 640x480). I've only installed these drivers the other day, but already in the half a dozen or so boots I've done, I'm yet to see this problem appear. Use to be that it would happen at just about every boot.

I've always been told this was a hardware issue, but I somewhat suspected the drivers had a hand in it too. Previous driver releases have slowly reduced the occurance but never completely removed it. Fingers crossed it's all good!

Edit: I think I just jinxed it. lol. I did a reboot just to check, and it did it again. :( It's weird, it's like the driver update for a while either resolves the issue or reduces the occurance, then slowly it gets worse again. Like I said, previous drivers appeared to have reduced the occurance, but then they too slowly went back to it happening just about everytime. Oh well.

PostPosted: 05 May 2010, 13:15 

Is anyone getting horrible tessellation performance compared to fermi cards. I just don't understand it. My cards with 10.4 are performing no where near the results of fermi in benchmarks like Heaven 2.0

Just curious why my cards are performing weaker then fermi cards in tessellation? Will this improve over time or is it a driver bug? Anyone else notice this.

Heaven is just a benchmark, and was originally tailored (1.1) to the 5800 series cards because there was nothing else on the market for DX11, then the Fermi cards came out and it was "retooled" (2.0) for those cards. Fermi has a lot more capability when it comes to tesselation, but unlike ATi's solution, it is not dedicated. In real life, Tesselation isn't highest on the list when it comes to rendering in games. While ATi can keeps constant amount of tesselation that doesn't impact any other function of the card, NV can show off with "benchmarketeering".

This has been discussed in many ways in different places, and sometimes turning into instant flamewars from their forum "fanboys".

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 00:36 

I got an AC->USB adapter (PS3 to be exact). The screen blanking appears to happen less often, but it will stay blank more often, until i unplug and plug back the DP cable. Good thing I don't have my case crammed behind a bunch of stuff.

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 02:46 

I'm using the 10.4 betas and havnt had any problem, but all this talk is making me afraid of the real thing.

Is anyone happy with the 10.4s?

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 02:50 
Editors
Editors

I'm using the 10.4a and are not experiencing any problems so far. Didn't want to use the 10.4 WHQL since catalystmaker said the 10.4a is newer.

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 12:20 

For the heck of it I tried to upgrade to the 10.4 from the 10.4a and it didn't upgrade anything (every bit of it is older).

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 12:25 
Editors
Editors

Its newer. :) I think Catalystmaker should know this:
http://twitter.com/CatalystMaker/status/13071004273

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 13:40 

I'm using the 10.4a and are not experiencing any problems so far. Didn't want to use the 10.4 WHQL since catalystmaker said the 10.4a is newer.

I'll try to give 10.4a a spin then!

PostPosted: 07 May 2010, 10:13 

Edit: I think I just jinxed it. lol. I did a reboot just to check, and it did it again. :( It's weird, it's like the driver update for a while either resolves the issue or reduces the occurance, then slowly it gets worse again. Like I said, previous drivers appeared to have reduced the occurance, but then they too slowly went back to it happening just about everytime. Oh well.

Just an update on this, it appears I jumped the gun a little in thinking the problem was still the same with 10.4. It looks as if it is now only happening when restarting, as every cold boot so far has still been flawless. One thing I noticed is that when doing a cold boot, I get display from the Left (DVI) and Right (DP>VGA) LCD with my Middle LCD (DVI) being blank during the boot before the Windows desktop comes up. However when I did a restart, it was the Left and Middle LCD which remained on (even during the following boot) while the Right DP>VGA LCD went blank.

Interesting. Either way, I'm much happier with my setup with these drivers.

PostPosted: 07 May 2010, 15:18 

Updated to 10.4a yesterday and have not had any problems since.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next