Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 06:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 May 2011, 13:15 

Hi there,
I'm considering an EyeFinity for a media installation, but seems that people with most experience are to be found in the gaming community :)

I need a setup with 5x1 portrait + 1 extended, which should be possible due to the FAQ. But: all of my screens (ok, in fact it's projectors) need VGA.
At the moment I am considering an EyeFinity with 6x mini-Displayport. Any chance to achieve this wihtout any kind of flickering or visual errors? The resolution per output is pretty low: 1280x800 (but in portrait so 800x1280).
Do you have any recommendations for adapters?

Thanks for your help,
Philipp

PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 20:28 
Insiders
Insiders

I used Monoprice's VGA adapters on my 5870 Eyefinity 6 edition (I'm assuming this is the card you are using).

I could easily setup my system with those.

One thing to keep in mind is that if the projectors have any resolutions higher than 1280x800 it will want to use those for eyefinity.
You will need to make an edid mask to use the native resolution if that's the case.

PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 23:29 
Insiders
Insiders

I would initially only buy one of the projectors then test it's ability to handle portrait mode. Projectors are extremely temperamental with temperatures if orientated in a configuration other than landscape upright or landscape ceiling mounted mode. It would be a tragedy to buy all those projectors and realize they can't handle the temps imposed by portrait mode. That being said, if it's a success please keep us updated on the build in the projector subforum here.

PostPosted: 07 May 2011, 15:30 
Insiders
Insiders

Have you given thought to your screen design and the projector pre-warping utility you'll use? I'm needing more people to send requests into Immersaview for them to implement 5x1P capability on NTHUSIM.

PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 14:56 

thanks for your answers!

@suiken_2mieu
* i was thinking of using a 5970 card, but did not make a final decision yet. I do not need best 3d features, but a lot of memory. so I still have to check out some more models I guess...
* so you are using these adapters: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5107&seq=1&format=2 ? and you can use them for all 6 outputs? because in another thread i read that you have to use active adapters to get all 6 outputs to work.
* 1280 x 800 is the max resolution of the projector, so edid shouldn't be the problem

@BHawthorne
* yes I know that you are not allowed to mount every projector in portrait mode, but some are physically supporting it.
* sorry, I guess I don't fully get your second post. but I'm programming the distortion and soft edges etc myself with VVVV: http://vvvv.org

PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 01:24 
Insiders
Insiders

thanks for your answers!

@BHawthorne
* yes I know that you are not allowed to mount every projector in portrait mode, but some are physically supporting it.
* sorry, I guess I don't fully get your second post. but I'm programming the distortion and soft edges etc myself with VVVV: http://vvvv.org

Yep, the problem is actually finding concrete information on which ones work and which ones don't. If you find out a model that works good for you over time I'm sure others will like to know what to buy to achieve portrait mode. In my personal experience I think the BenQ W1000 might work for portrait mode. We tested one mounted portrait for 8 hours straight with no issue.

Even if you do use something else, it'll help to send a request to Immersaview to let them know there are more people out there that want 5x1P NTHUSIM capability. :wink:

PostPosted: 18 May 2011, 20:35 

hey another VVVV user ! awesome, I'm still really new to the VVVV world, but giving it a try. mostly use Resolume Avenue and IRmapio, been working good for me for the past year..

anyway if you guys need projectors that can be mounted on there sides, I have 3x panasonic PT-D5500u's and they support vertical mounting, as they are water cooled. there is a fan adjustment in the settings that needs to be specified when mounting vertically. Plus these projectors are meant for 24/7 duty, I have a fourth machine that has 35,000 hours on it, and it's still working.. thats a couple of years of continuous use! plus these machines have interchangeable lenses, and are fairly inexpensive if you get them used on Ebay. might be an option to look into hundert, as I doubt any 800x600 projector will support vertical mounting.

PostPosted: 18 May 2011, 23:49 
Insiders
Insiders

thanks for your answers!

@suiken_2mieu
* i was thinking of using a 5970 card, but did not make a final decision yet. I do not need best 3d features, but a lot of memory. so I still have to check out some more models I guess...
* so you are using these adapters: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5107&seq=1&format=2 ? and you can use them for all 6 outputs? because in another thread i read that you have to use active adapters to get all 6 outputs to work.
* 1280 x 800 is the max resolution of the projector, so edid shouldn't be the problem

*The 5970 does not have more than 3 ports unless you're using the eyefinity 6 version (Black Edition?).
*Also yes, that was the adapter I used. Now, LeonHikari has them and they're still going strong.
*That's good.

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 11:49 

hi guys,

the projectors we'll probably use are Optoma. I'm not sure about the model though.
In general almost every manufacturer gives you details about the warranty if you hang them vertical. But in most cases you have to ask :/

when it comes to multiscreen we'll probably not use the EyeFinity as it looks now, but tripleheads. but thanks for your help!

philipp

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 17:51 
Insiders
Insiders

hi guys,

the projectors we'll probably use are Optoma. I'm not sure about the model though.
In general almost every manufacturer gives you details about the warranty if you hang them vertical. But in most cases you have to ask :/

when it comes to multiscreen we'll probably not use the EyeFinity as it looks now, but tripleheads. but thanks for your help!

philipp

Well tripleheads are nice, but they don't do portrait. Bear that in mind before your purchase. Otherwise, TH2Go is more lenient on what resolutions they can output.