Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 04:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2010, 22:33 

I have a problem with my Eyefinity setup, when ever I try to play a game, it crashes to the desktop or reboots.

I can setup the windows desktop just fine in CCC across all 3 displays. Or just fine may be a bit simplified, the miniDP to dual DVI does give some problem. The monitor isn't always recognized correctly, but reconnection the miniDP connector usually solves the problem.

When only using one display, I can play games just fine in full screen (2560x1600) without any problems.

When using two displays setup in CCC as Eyefinity, I can start the games and play for some time, and then the computer reboots (5120x1600). This happens with both monitors on DVI or mixed DVI and miniDP.

When using all three displays, games that I can run on one monitor, either wont start or reboots the computer. Strangely I can run Dirt and Eve Online in windowed mode just fine, but as soon as I switch to full resolution (7680x1600), the computer reboots.

What I have done so far:
I have tried the 10.2 and 10.3 drivers. I have tried uninstalling the drivers completely and reinstalling them. I have tried running the Apple converter from an external USB power source and the motherboard, I have tried switching cables, I have tried switching the monitors to different ports, I have tried adding the monitors in one at a time and all at once, My last bet is to exchange the Apple adaptor to the approved Accell one, but I have no flickering or other strange behavior when using the adaptor, so havent done this yet.

I am at my wits end, can any of you help me with some insight into what I may be doing wrong?

My hardware setup
Dell 730x:
- i7 3.6GHz
- 6GB RAM
- Intel 160GB SSD
- Sapphire 5790
- Catalyst drivers 10.3 beta
- Apple active mini DP to Dual DVI
- Windows 7 64bit
- 2x30" Dell 3008WFP
- 1x30" Dell 3007WFP

Regards

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 00:51 

Can you play at all in full screen or does it crash right off the bat. I have been having a problem with BFBC2 crashing to desktop and also have had it hard lock and go to BSOD with a atikmpag.sys but have yet to get a response in my thread which I find odd having ati reps around that no nothing or have no suggestions.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 07:32 

Thanks for your reply, I also read your thread on your problem, can you play other games or is it ll games that crashes for you?

With no Eyefinity, I can play with no problems at all. With two displays, I can play for an undefined length of time, sometimes minutes, at other times I quit beore the system does. With three displays, instant crash to desktop, a single BSOD or the game wont start.
I have considered yanking out my main disk and do a clean Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit instll to see if that might help, that should alleviate any OS problems. Also considered the PSU, but its 1000W, should be able to cope.
Regards

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 15:50 

Do you recall the BSOD you got. Sounds like similiar problems as I am having. Although I can still play games with 3 screens. And it does not always happen but....

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 23:08 

Problem solved :rockout

I did the last thing I could think of, I reinstalled Windows 7 and Eyefinity now works fine. Or rather, it works with Need For Speed Shift and Supreme Commander which I have used for testing. I used a Nvidia graphics card before and even though I completely uninstalled the display drivers to their default state, something might still have been lurking in the registry hindering Eyefinity, but not one display operation. Well who knows, but know it works.

Advice for people using the active Apple mini displayport converter, remember to always shut down the computer completely before restarting. Doing a restart on my system, borks the displayport display and it defaults to its lowest resolution and requires a disconnect from the graphics card to get reognized properly again.