Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 12 Sep 2024, 06:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 08:29 

So, I've looked over the requirements and waded through the 30 some page Eyefinity thread and while there seems to be Displayport to DVI adapter solutions, I haven't as yet seen the same for HDMI monitors.

Here are 2 adapters I've found:

http://sewelldirect.com/DisplayPort-to-HDMI-Cable-Adapter---10-inches.asp
http://www.ramelectronics.net/computer-parts/computer-cables/monitor-cables/displayport-cables/displayport-to-hdmi-adapter-dport2hdmi/prodPTC00006.html

Any reason these wouldn't work with a 3 HDMI monitor setup, one using the active Displayport adapters I've listed and the other 2 using passive DVI to HDMI adapters?

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 08:34 
Insiders
Insiders

The current way is to use the Dell/BizLink active adapter and put a passive DVI-to-HDMI adapter on the back of it. This was shown in a pic as to how they did it at the EyeFinity release. I don't believe AMD has signed off certifying any HDMI active adapters yet for EyeFinity.

So, a shopping list of 2 passive DVI-to-HDMI adapters and 1 active DP-to-DVI adapter (Dell/BizLink).

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 09:02 

Thank you sir, about what I expected. Actually, the shopping list includes monitors and while one in the running is a Dell 23in Displayport monitor, another is a 23in HDMI, hence the reason for the question. Perhaps by then AMD/ATI will have certified an HDMI active converter, but the ones I listed -seem- to fit the bill.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 09:17 
Insiders
Insiders

Thank you sir, about what I expected. Actually, the shopping list includes monitors and while one in the running is a Dell 23in Displayport monitor, another is a 23in HDMI, hence the reason for the question. Perhaps by then AMD/ATI will have certified an HDMI active converter, but the ones I listed -seem- to fit the bill.

Those don't look to be active adapters. There is no usb cable powering any active transcoding circuitry in those 2 you linked. Both listing do claim to be active adapters, but I don't think they really are. We've seen similar cases with passive DVI adapters so far that websites have been mislabeling also as active.

It's a case where someone will have to buy one and try it out as noone here has tested one of those particular adapters yet.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 15:11 

Fair enough, understood ... not in a position to be a guinea pig just yet.

The first one in the list looks to be the same as the one sited on the BizLink site.

BizLink offer several adapters, single DVI, Dual Link DVI (which has the USB power cable), HDMI and VGA.

Under the VGA model there is this quote:

"The DisplayPort to VGA cable adapter requires no external power. It is designed to use the power provided through the DisplayPort connection"

I guess I'm just hoping/wishing the same were true for the HDMI adapter because the much cheaper price point for that adapter would be welcome. They don't say the same thing for their HDMI adapter. They do say:

"this cable is engineered using advanced active cable technology for the highest performance and quality"

... and again, the BizLink and Acell adapter in the link -look- identical so I was wondering ... Ultimately, a statement from AMD would be the thing to wait for.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 15:24 
Editors
Editors

The adaptor needs to look like:

If it looks like:

It isn't going to work. No matter what they say, to be a proper active adaptor, it needs to have that box and the USB lead (or some other method of power)... like the top pic.

Post subject: Shopping List
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 17:41 

Look at the configuration in this picture.

If you are in the USA you can use coupon code, but it ends Sunday 4th(Today!!!): ZTQV568L16CMBH and get 25% off making it 75 bucks down from 100.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Cables/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=330-5521

Put a passive dvi to hdmi on the end of the dell adapter. And put 2 more passive dvi to hdmi on the DVI ports of the card and it will work from all the research I've done and I have picked through every bit info on this site and I ordered my Dell adapter last night.

Post subject: Re: Shopping List
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 20:07 
Insiders
Insiders

Put a passive dvi to hdmi on the end of the dell adapter. And put 2 more passive dvi to hdmi on the DVI ports of the card and it will work from all the research I've done and I have picked through every bit info on this site and I ordered my Dell adapter last night.

Actually, it's been confirmed you can use 1 dvi, 1 hdmi and 1 dp port out, so it means you'll only need 1 active DP-to-DVI and 2 passive DVI-to-HDMI. Just use the HDMI port out on the card for port 2, instead of the second DVI.

Post subject: Re: Shopping List
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 02:36 

[quote]Put a passive dvi to hdmi on the end of the dell adapter. And put 2 more passive dvi to hdmi on the DVI ports of the card and it will work from all the research I've done and I have picked through every bit info on this site and I ordered my Dell adapter last night.

Actually, it's been confirmed you can use 1 dvi, 1 hdmi and 1 dp port out, so it means you'll only need 1 active DP-to-DVI and 2 passive DVI-to-HDMI. Just use the HDMI port out on the card for port 2, instead of the second DVI.

Oh! Well that is good.

- Jay

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 08:31 

Thanks for info man! I purchased my display port from Dell.com today!