Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Sep 2024, 05:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2010, 17:11 

Hello everybody! I'm new to these forums and am having an issue with Multiple Monitors, but mainly DisplayPort. I apologize for the long-windedness of this post.

I had just ordered 2 Hanns G 28" monitors (HH281), a Sapphire ATI 5970, and Active DisplayPort adapter. After plugging them all in and updating drivers, I noticed that any display I plugged in to the DisplayPort was fuzzy @ 1920x1200 (Which is the monitor's native resolution). I plugged in the same monitor to DVI, displayed perfectly fine. Any resolution lower than this worked fine (including 1920x1080). Doing some researched, I checked what the monitor was displaying in it's information, it was only showing up with 960x1200, which would explain the fuzziness. (See here for exactly what was happening to mine http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=130172). I took my Active DisplayPort adapter to a different PC and Monitor system, it worked just fine @ 1920x1200.

After this, I found these forums where I found the post about updating monitor EDIDs (http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=17635). After doing this, it completely shut off all my monitors and I was forced to reboot. Now every time I enable any monitor on DisplayPort, it shut off all the monitors again. I've tried copying the EDID from one of the monitors to the DisplayPort one, still shuts off, but I know that the EDID is correct. I've even tried creating a new one from scratch, still same issue. I've uninstalled Catalyst 10.3 and tried 10.2, 10.2, and 9.11 drivers, all same issue. The only way I can actually get a monitor plugged into DisplayPort to turn on, is to boot up with it unplugged, plug in the Active Displayport Adapter, then the monitor into the Adapter. If I try to update the driver or plug in a 3rd monitor to DVI, shuts off monitors again. Thank you so much for your assistance, PC specs are below.

Windows 7 64-bit
Sapphire Radeon 5970
AMD Phenom II 965
3xHanns G HH281 28"
4GB Corsair XMS DDR3 RAM

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2010, 22:16 

This is a swing from left field, as I know little (generally and about EF LOL) Is there enough power from the USB outlet to the DP adaptor ? (dependant on where or what you have it plugged into)
Reason I suggest this is I had a problem with a USB powered set of headphones and G25 conflicting when plugged in. Either one would work on boot up, but not both at the same time. Problem turned out to be that my MB couldnt supply enough power to all USB requirements that were plugged in at the same time to my MB.

Solution:- Purchased a powered USB hub and routed a few things through it and all worked fine.
Hope your solution is that simple, if not, I am sure some one on these forums will have some valuable advice. :D

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2010, 22:39 

This is a swing from left field, as I know little (generally and about EF LOL) Is there enough power from the USB outlet to the DP adaptor ? (dependant on where or what you have it plugged into)
Reason I suggest this is I had a problem with a USB powered set of headphones and G25 conflicting when plugged in. Either one would work on boot up, but not both at the same time. Problem turned out to be that my MB couldnt supply enough power to all USB requirements that were plugged in at the same time to my MB.

Solution:- Purchased a powered USB hub and routed a few things through it and all worked fine.
Hope your solution is that simple, if not, I am sure some one on these forums will have some valuable advice. :D

Thank you very much for the response! I remember seeing this suggested as well earlier. Unfortunately, I do not have an external USB powered HUB to use. I am only using 2 USB ports on my Motherboard(ASUS M4A79T Deluxe) (keyboard/mouse) but I will try using PS/2 and see if this is a problem.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2010, 23:17 

Others will know better, but the adaptor might just be drawing too much power from the same source, although a mouse and keyboard shouldnt effect it I would think, but never the less a $40 powered hub could still be worth a try, albeit a long shot. G/L

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2010, 00:40 

Good news, I figured out one of my issues. As far as the monitors turning off when I plug in the DisplayPort adapter. I was using the incorrect Catalyst drivers (was using the ones for the 4870x2). Still trying to figure out Monitor fuzziness issues, but really close. Keep you updated

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2010, 16:00 

Here is some more Details about the issue. Currently the middle monitor is connected with DisplayPort. Whether grouped with Eyefinity or not, whenever a change is made to the monitor (Resolution, signal type, plug/unplug) it will either disable all my monitors or give me wacky colors. In order to boot up my PC, I need to have the Active Displayport adapter unplugged otherwise will freeze. The displayport adapter works just fine until I make a change to the monitor. Thanks.

Here's a picture of the monitor after I make a change: http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r360/ruscfox/Blurry2.jpg
Here's a video of the issue happening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvk2vwbTmhM

Thank you so much again!