Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: 09 May 2010, 13:18 

Hello guys,

I'm new to this forum (although I read here for several weeks) and got my 3x1 configuration this week (tuesday, to be precisely).
I hate to see that the fisheye effect ATI seems to love so much is bugging me a lot. I can live with the fact that racing games have this effect,
but if you play World of Warcraft (for example) this fisheye effect is such a damn piece of shit, that I'd like to kick some ATI asses.

Same happens in Settlers 7, Bad Company 2 and I guess, every other game too.
So I wanted to ask, if there is a tool to disable this shiteye effect on some games. I tried googling "ati eyefinity fisheye effect disable", but as you might guess, no - i haven't found a solution for it now - so all I have left is to ask in this forum and I hope some1 in here can give me a helpful advice how to "fix" this bullshit.

Thank you for your help - I appreciate it.
And please don't tell me that the only way I can disable this shiteye effect is buying a triplehead2go ;/

PostPosted: 09 May 2010, 13:56 
Editors
Editors

I think you will find that this happens on any TH solution as it also happens on in 4:3 ... it is just not so obvious.

Take a look here ... http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=14082

PostPosted: 09 May 2010, 14:11 
Founder
Founder

You can also see it in motion here, in one of our YouTube videos.

PostPosted: 09 May 2010, 14:20 

ofc it's not that obvious and you often don't find yourself finding these edges - but tbfh:
If you play Settlers 7 (just for an example) the HUD is on the left and right screen, so you MUST sometimes focus on those screens and that's the hell.
I can live with a bit of distortion, but this distortion displayed from eyefinity is great when you play a racing game because this adds the feeling of the speed you're driving.
But if you take a closer look (in curves for example) and look to the left (as you would when you're driving normally) this distortion is just shit.

And all I ask is to fix those distortion in some games (as already mentioned - I'm not interested in fixing it in Dirt 2 for example).
World of Warcraft is such a game there these distortion will give you an headache.

So there is no solution to "resolve" this distortion? Or even to fix it to be not that hard distorted.

PostPosted: 09 May 2010, 14:38 
Editors
Editors

So there is no solution to "resolve" this distortion? Or even to fix it to be not that hard distorted.
Correct.

PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 02:19 

the best solution is to stair directly ahead and only use the side displays for peripheral vision... or mostly use them for that... took me a while to stop looking at the fisheye, but now I just stair straight ahead.

PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 06:44 

After a month you won't notice it.

PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 07:02 

And avoid RTS games in landscape.

PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 17:50 

The problem with the "fisheye" effect, as has been beaten to a bush in this forum a thousand times, is that our eyes natural perceive peripheral vision in that manner. When you stare straight ahead, the game looks like one solid picture because of this. If you look at the peripheral vision, the game looks distorted. Now, in real life if you turned your head to look at your peripheral vision, this wouldn't bother you because the item that was previously in your peripheral vision would now appear normal and the item to the side (that was previously in the center) distorted. However because the game is pre-rendered, and the game can't tell when you turn your head, the game can't properly render the side view only when you turn your head. The best solutions are to try to find custom HUD's (for example, I use a totally custom World of Warcraft UI just so I won't have to look at the side screens) and maintain your vision looking directly ahead. The only possible way ATI could ever fix this problem would be to make you wear some sort of device or glasses so that the game would know when your head is turning, although, by the time that this is a realistic fix, some sort of Virtual Reality will most likely be possible. Stop complaining about a problem that isn't ATI's fault, but the natural human body.

PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 18:10 
Insiders
Insiders

The problem with the "fisheye" effect, as has been beaten to a bush in this forum a thousand times, is that our eyes natural perceive peripheral vision in that manner. When you stare straight ahead, the game looks like one solid picture because of this. If you look at the peripheral vision, the game looks distorted. Now, in real life if you turned your head to look at your peripheral vision, this wouldn't bother you because the item that was previously in your peripheral vision would now appear normal and the item to the side (that was previously in the center) distorted. However because the game is pre-rendered, and the game can't tell when you turn your head, the game can't properly render the side view only when you turn your head. The best solutions are to try to find custom HUD's (for example, I use a totally custom World of Warcraft UI just so I won't have to look at the side screens) and maintain your vision looking directly ahead. The only possible way ATI could ever fix this problem would be to make you wear some sort of device or glasses so that the game would know when your head is turning, although, by the time that this is a realistic fix, some sort of Virtual Reality will most likely be possible. Stop complaining about a problem that isn't ATI's fault, but the natural human body.

You can use TrackiR in some games, and there are other head tracking programs that don't even need ir leds to work.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next