Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 17:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 16:53 

OK,

So I am pretty much fed up with waiting on ATI to "fix" Trifire+Eyefinity , so I have made the decision to abandon my single 5970 and move to a pair of 5870s (the most powerful combo I can find). I really want -and need- the extra horsepower for Eyefinity resolutions.

SO...

My issue is, does anyone have any opinions on whether to :

go stock 5870x2 (and Overclock, of course :D )
or
go 5870 6 edition x 2 (I can't seem to find much overclock info on these...anyone?)
OR
my initial, "Enthusiast" reaction...2 x ASUS Matrix ROG 5870 2GB.

I would probably have ordered the ROGs already, if it weren't for the review on this very site, that showed 5x1 portrait and it REALLY got me thinking... Now I am trying to figure out if I am willing to give up the POTENTIAL of a 5X1 vs. the premium features of the ROG. (the more I read, the more I think I should at minimal go for the 2GB variety... since I game 99% of the time in Eyefinity)

Opinions, feedback, suggestions? I have read the review here, at HardOCP, Guru, and the like... it had helped, but I am still on the fence with the whole "6" issue- and if I'll ever even need that.

Of course, I DO have a TRI capable mobo, so I could always add the 6 card down the line... :wink:

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 18:18 

I'd go 2x Eyefinity6.

For the ROG thing... I really like ASUS, like their boards (Actually buying nothing than ASUS mobos since more than 10 years), had various ASUS graphics cards and they still offer nice little software tools with them.
But: Are those cards really worth the extra money? Especially as they only offer one DVI, instead of 2. You have to use an HDMI => DVI Adapter instead. This makes the card for Eyefinity pretty useless, I guess. Especially when compared to the Eyefinity6 edition, where it is easy to connect a TV for watching movies, besides your Eyefinity setup etc.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 19:39 

Huh tired of waiting?

ATI Driver 10.x or 8.74 driver pack fix most issues with Tri-fire and eyefinity...

I have been playing Mass effect 2, just cause2, metro 2033, Far cry2 and many more with eyefinity with 5970 and 5850 with no issues (ONLY ON 10.x DRIVERS)

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 21:09 

I have seen a handful of reports that it is working better now.

BUT, it seems for every one that says "yes, it works!", there are 3 that say, "not so fast, not for me it doesn't". I am not willing to plunk down 3-700.00 MORE dollars, only to find out I am not one of the "lucky ones".

A pair of 5870s clocked to the max seems like the best firepower for Eyefinity at this point.

(It would be nice if ATI -A:addresed it, and -B:said if/when it would be "officially" supported...)

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2010, 03:49 

Mass Effect 2.
Will it run on Eyefinity?

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2010, 13:27 
I Donated
I Donated

Huh tired of waiting?

ATI Driver 10.x or 8.74 driver pack fix most issues with Tri-fire and eyefinity...

I have been playing Mass effect 2, just cause2, metro 2033, Far cry2 and many more with eyefinity with 5970 and 5850 with no issues (ONLY ON 10.x DRIVERS)

What do you mean you have been playing Mass Effect 2 with Eyefinity? Are you saying all the menus and gameplay FOV settings have been fixed? I updated my drivers, and 5760x1200 is still messed up...

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2010, 18:53 

on mass effect 2?

there are some issues but that is not ATI's fault thats the game dev's fault for beng an arse, they refused to impliment eyefinity

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2010, 20:17 
Insiders
Insiders

send me a link to these so called perfect 10.x drivers

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2010, 02:22 
I Donated
I Donated

on mass effect 2?

there are some issues but that is not ATI's fault thats the game dev's fault for beng an arse, they refused to impliment eyefinity

Ah ok, so you mean Mass Effect 2 is still exactly the same as before with Eyefinity. Sorry, I thought you had meant that these new drivers had somehow changed the FOV issue.