Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 21 Aug 2024, 12:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2009, 00:30 

Hi,

Got my Sapphire 5970 OC today. Looked forward to connecting it to my 3 dell 24 inch monitors for eyefinity. I have 2 dell 2405's (with just VGA and DVI) and a brand new dell 2408 (with DVI, HDMI, VGA and displayport). However the 5970 has MiniDP rather than DP.

The Sapphire box contained a MiniDP to DP adapter so I used this along with a standard DP cable (that came with the Dell 2408) to connect up.

AND........ nothing. Just a black screen.

So I connected another monitor using DVI and had a popup from ATI CCC saying

"The system has detected a link failure and cannot set the requested resolution and refresh rate on your DisplayportTM display. Your display might not support the requested resolution or there may be an issue with the cable connecting the display to your computer".

Anyone seen this before? Can I just confirm that I dont need any special active adapter for this?

If its cables, anyone know where I can get suitable cables in the UK? are there any MiniDP to DP cables out there or will I always have to go via an adapter?

Thanks

Rich

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2009, 11:18 

so if I get this right:
-the computer is off
-you connect only the 5970 => mini DP => DP cable => Dell 2408 Display Port (no other screen/display connected)
-boot the computer back up and nothing's but a black screen ?

if you connect the 2408 through DVI what happens ?

Is the Dell 2408 equipped with automatic dectection of the signal source ?
(my Hyundai LCD needed to be setup with the correct input manually)

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2009, 11:27 

Hi,

Got my Sapphire 5970 OC today. Looked forward to connecting it to my 3 dell 24 inch monitors for eyefinity. I have 2 dell 2405's (with just VGA and DVI) and a brand new dell 2408 (with DVI, HDMI, VGA and displayport). However the 5970 has MiniDP rather than DP.

The Sapphire box contained a MiniDP to DP adapter so I used this along with a standard DP cable (that came with the Dell 2408) to connect up.

AND........ nothing. Just a black screen.

So I connected another monitor using DVI and had a popup from ATI CCC saying

"The system has detected a link failure and cannot set the requested resolution and refresh rate on your DisplayportTM display. Your display might not support the requested resolution or there may be an issue with the cable connecting the display to your computer".

Anyone seen this before? Can I just confirm that I dont need any special active adapter for this?

If its cables, anyone know where I can get suitable cables in the UK? are there any MiniDP to DP cables out there or will I always have to go via an adapter?

Thanks

Rich

I managed to get this cable from the US. delivered in 3 days.

http://estore.circuitassembly.com/products/Mini-Displayport-to-Displayport-Adapter-Cable.html

Have not got my 5970 yet though, so no idea if it works.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2009, 12:37 

so if I get this right:
-the computer is off
-you connect only the 5970 => mini DP => DP cable => Dell 2408 Display Port (no other screen/display connected)
-boot the computer back up and nothing's but a black screen ?

if you connect the 2408 through DVI what happens ?

Is the Dell 2408 equipped with automatic dectection of the signal source ?
(my Hyundai LCD needed to be setup with the correct input manually)

Yes thats correct

5970 -> DVI Cable -> 2408 works fine.
5970 -> MiniDP - > MiniDP/DP Adaptor -> 2408 black screen.

add a second monitor via DVI and I see the displayport failure error.

regarding Automatic detection - no - theres a button at the bottom that lets me cycle through the inputs. When I get to the displayport one (and the DP is connected from the 5970) the dell has a black screen and keeps on going into power save mode (as if theres nothing connected)

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2009, 19:24 

well your not the only person having display trouble i am also found this thread

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=122932&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

i know its a 5870 but the 5970 is 5870x2 but anyways i been talking to a guy from powercolor and he had this to say in an email.

Dusty,

Yeah I was actually reading this thread yesterday.

I’m in communication with ATI about the issue, hopefully they can shed more light on if whether it’s a driver issue or not.

It’s still tough to tell since this card is extremely new.

Thanks for this information.

thats all he told me so hopefully he will get back with me and let me know if its a driver issue or the graphics card itself. im also using a dell monitor get a black screen once in a while and it says display driver failed and the same thing happens with the mini display port.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 01:17 
Editors
Editors

You need an active DP -> DVI adapter for Eyefinity to work.

Try using a DP-DVI adapter then DVI-VGA dongle if you have it and connect it to VGA of the screen. It might work:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=17468&start=0

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 17:30 

You need an active DP -> DVI adapter for Eyefinity to work.

Try using a DP-DVI adapter then DVI-VGA dongle if you have it and connect it to VGA of the screen. It might work:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=17468&start=0

Hes using miniDP -> DP ;) Not a legacy connection.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2010, 08:39