Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 02:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2012, 22:10 

Hey guys,

Newb to the triple monitor set up. I want to create a portrait landscape portrait setup that will be used for gaming, but my research results so far have been discouraging to say the least. I guess its a lot of work setting this kind of thing up. I recently learned about softTH but even experienced users of softh seem to say a triple landscape same monitors setup is the better way to go. I really like the look of PLP from videos I've seen though and want to see if I can get it to work without too much issues or money.

I recently heard about eyefinity 2.0 and its supposed to have more features? Its hard to find info on it, is this out yet? I'm getting the feeling that its still not supporting PLP setup though? Would it at least support 3 landscapes with different resolutions? Say two side monitors that are somewhat square and a bigger middle monitor?

Basically want to see what my options are for triple monitor setups and what guys recommend. Willing to spend money on the a single good vid card $600ish, and maybe up to 1500 bucks for the monitors.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2012, 11:43 
Insiders
Insiders

Okay, as of this posting, there is no way to get a hardware solution for PLP, or even miss-matched resolutions in gaming. So Eyefinity, Surround, TH2Go, and Mview are out the window.

The only way to get PLP to work is through SoftTH and Windowed Mode.

Eyefinity will let you run 3 monitors in landscape with differing physical resolutions, but each monitor will be sent the same logical resolution. So with 20" 30" 20" each monitor will receive 1600x1200 and that means lots of stretching on the 30".

Personally, I went ahead and bought 2 more 30" monitors after dabbling in PLP. Craigslist is awesome as I've found some 3007wfp's for as low as $275. You can also snatch them up on ebay for less if you find a post that says, "I couldn't get it to get past 1280x800, so it's for parts" as it's just them needing a DL-DVI cable.

Anyway, I'd recommended, a 3x1 Landscape setup, as it has the most support from games across the board. I've tried almost every display configuration and the is the easiest to maintain. Plus if you get monitors that can be put into portrait, you can play games that don't support eyefinity at all.

Cheers,
Sir.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2012, 11:51 
Administrators
Administrators

The sticky on the top of the homepage might also be of use to you: http://www.wsgf.org/article/displayport-dvi-mst-hub-plp-support

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."