Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 21 Aug 2024, 01:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 16:07 

Hello,

After recently setting up my 3x1 Eyefinity, i tried playing various games. Most of them run well except a few.
So far i encountered this issue with two games:
- Need for speed: The Run
- Syndicate

The issue itself is related to the general lighting.
- In NFS The Run, whenever the sun is on screen you basically get blinded and see little to nothing except the sun itself. (when facing away from the sun, all is ok).
- In Syndicate its the same issue however not that acute. The lighting gives the impression of continuous fog/blurr, as if there was the sun shining in everytime you see some lights. In dark or darker places with no lights its all ok.

In both cases i tried to play with the settings, but without any luck.

An interesting observation:
In World of Warcraft, everything was ok with Eyefinity except the health-bars of any target. WoW by default would render the health bars for a 16:9 setup, using the width of my Eyefinity resolution (6048) as the variable for the 16 in the equation. (so basically they were too huge (wide) for a 6048x1080 resolution as the game probably drew them for 6048x3402)

This is the only explanation i could find for this issue. Maybe for NFS The Run and Syndicate its the same situation? Probably the game's lighting is also drawn for 16:9 setup but using Eyefinity width as the 16's variable (so we get actual lighting rendering for 3x3 display setup)?

In theory, if that were true, the game renders the lighting for 3x3 Eyefinity setup, but only displays the middle row of displays, concentrating the lower and upper rows into it. If the actual resolution would be displayed (6048x3402) the lighting effect would probably be the same, but being a larger resolution surface the effect would be much smaller.

The problems with NFS The Run and WoW were present in 11.12 and now in 12.1 drivers
(when 11.12 was live, there was a note on the preview page of 12.1 that the issues with NFS The run were to be fixed, although it did not happen)
I just installed Syndicate on 12.1 drivers.

I own an Asus DirectCU II 6950 2GB card, on an i5-2500k system based on z68 chipset.

What you guys thing about this issue? Anything i may have missed settings wise?
Have you faced similar problems in other games?

redrat.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 16:35 
Administrators
Administrators

Issue in Need for speed: The Run is caused by the Frostbite 2 engine, Battlefield 3 had the same issue, its not a hardware or driver issue so there is no easy way to fix it.

From what I can tell the lighting in Syndicate is a deliberate thing done to help give across its theme, ie a Clinical Corporate run future, just watch the first 20 seconds of Gametrailers review and you'll see there is no difference between PC and console versions, ie it was a design decision: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-syndicate/727013?

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 04:03 

Thx for explaining :)

redrat.