Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 May 2024, 04:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2007, 19:16 

I´m thinking about purchasing a second th2go, with 3more tfts, mainly for watching films/tv and some older games with no support of extra FOV.

I know the theory: a single card, with a th2go in each output and vertical spanning, but I would like some photos if anyone tried before.

It would be about 52', a bit more than with only one th2go, but double the area, and I don´t really mind about the gaps, they don´t bother me at all.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2007, 22:27 

Matrox of course says this won't work, and I've heard talk of a few people wanting to try it, but to date I know of no one who's actually seen if it works out all right.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 00:25 

The most probable obstacle is the matrox software. How will it react with 2 usb devices to talk to. 2x the same driver is easy, 1 program, 2 devices? probably not.

Theoretically you should be able to get away with:

plug th2g no1, open software, configure, close software, unplug th2g no1.
plug th2g no2, open software, configure, close software, unplug th2g no2.

Software tends to not like 'more than one' like for example, nvdia's custom res. dialogs only save to the first of my 3 monitors, no matter what I do. That's because when I test a new res. before being allowed to save it, it resets to first monitor being selected.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 00:55 

First time I installed it, I did configure with matrox software and so on. Months later, I formatted my system and made a clean installation. This time I did not installed any Matrox software and th2go works just fine, windows simply see the th2go as a big plug´n play monitor, not as a weird device with drivers needed.

I suppose I would have only to plug the second th2go, let windows see it as another plug´n play big monitor, and then configure screen spanning in control panel.

I don´t understand what do you mean when you talk about 2 usb devices. 2xth2go would be similar to have an extra monitor in the 2nd output. No drivers needed.

In fact, a couple weeks ago I had a fourth 7' touchscreen monitor attached to my second output. Only needed drivers to be able to use touchscreen (through usb), and did word just fine (even I installed a pivot software utility to use with the touchscreen).

My concerns are more on the side of the extreme resolution that is possible.

Software tends to not like 'more than one' like for example, nvdia's custom res. dialogs only save to the first of my 3 monitors, no matter what I do. That's because when I test a new res. before being allowed to save it, it resets to first monitor being selected.

I´m not planning to use any custom res, so I dont see any problem here.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 02:01 

Last part was an analogy, nothing to do with using th2g's.

I don't have a TH2G, from my understanding you plug it via usb to what configure it? or just for power?

If there's no config and it just takes whatever input you give it, how does it know to do 1280x800x3 or 1280x1024x3 etc?

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 09:30 

I don't have a TH2G, from my understanding you plug it via usb to what configure it? or just for power?

Analog th2go has not usb at all, and digital th2go has an usb cord only for power (analog has a power brick).

If there's no config and it just takes whatever input you give it, how does it know to do 1280x800x3 or 1280x1024x3 etc?

Just like any monitor when you plug it the first time to windows. For windows there is only one monitor out there. It knows, after it detects it, what resolutions are supported and what resolutions not.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 12:49 

Oh ok, sorry for misunderstanding it's usb use, that's what happens when you try to be too helpful ;).

Since there's not config related issue that I can tell, I don't see why using 2xTH2G wouldn't work, maybe ask matrox before though?

I asked them about using a DH2G with a horizontal span to get triple 1920x1080 out of 2 outputs, so far they don't seem to read the text you send em.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 13:04 

Oh ok, sorry for misunderstanding it's usb use, that's what happens when you try to be too helpful Wink.

No problem 8) . It´s great to find people willingly to help.

Since there's not config related issue that I can tell, I don't see why using 2xTH2G wouldn't work, maybe ask matrox before though?

In the old matrox forum, this question was asked many times, but asnwer was always ´no tested & no support´ --> maybe works, maybe not. I think it should work but who knows...

I asked them about using a DH2G with a horizontal span to get triple 1920x1080 out of 2 outputs, so far they don't seem to read the text you send em.

I don´t think that is possible. DTH2G only can manage 1 input at a time (analog or digital), it cannot mix two inputs and then split into three outputs.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 13:22 

The TH2G can't do 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 times 3 because a dual-link just doesn't have the bandwitdh to do so.

I was thinking of the following config:
EN8800ULTRA dual-link output 1 -> directly to monitor 1 at 1920x1080
EN8800ULTRA dual-link output 2 -> DH2G, configured as 2x1920x1080 into monitor 2 and 3.

Then in nvidia's control box span horizontally between output1(monitor1) and output2(monitor2+3). To get 1920x1080+3840x1080 = 5760x1080.

I've played around with it, and about the only problem I'd encounter is nvidia's software only allows up to 2560x1024 for a horizontal span. Anyone know how to add other resolutions to that list?

I wish they made a TH2G v2 that uses 2 ports to each send 2880x1080 to the box, stitches em together for 5760x1080 and splits it 3 ways to the 3 connected monitors. They of course would have to talk to ati and nvidia for allowing horizontal spans of that size though.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 21:52 

The Digital TripleHead2Go does not just use the USB cable for power. It also uses it for device detection and configuration. You can change the 4 available modes (resolutions and refresh rates) available, activate/deactivate bezel management, etc., with the USB connection.

Because of the USB issues, this might work out better with 2 analogue units.