Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 May 2024, 00:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2008, 15:26 

It seems off so tempting to wait till the 4870x2 comes out, so the GTX280s prices are cut.

If i could get one for $400 AUD i'd buy one right now. (And one store i know is having a special at $500 AUD).
Does anyone reckon they will have the same lifetime as that 8800GTX(? is this it) . I mean they are pretty much considered a bitching card now.
I would like to get around the same life the 7900 got, and (with tacking on SLI later on).

Talking about buying a GTX280 even has me all excited. Most games i play with on low visuals (i just love the multi screens so much i accept low textures), thinking about 3 screens and high vis. Well thats just plain awesome.

Also on the x64 note, Xp x64 was decent, just only very mainstream drivers could be used (eg nvidia etc). The emulation was pretty decent, and it sparked those games having x64 versions (far cry patch XD). Granted i haven't seen many more games like that anymore.

Back on video cards though, how much do you guys reckon the GTX280 will drop by when the 4870x2 comes out?. I'm a piss poor uni student, so buying the graphics card at the best time is what i have to do XD.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2008, 15:51 
Editors
Editors

The 8800 GTX was probably the high-end graphics card with the longest lifespan ever, but that's partly because nvidia didn't bother topping it really in nearly 2 years. This is probably not gonna be the same story today, because of Ati's aggressive pricing of upper-midrange cards. This is not exactly competition but it's effective. Nvidia had to adjust prices (not because "Ati can do the same for less money", the GTX280 is still heads and shoulders above the rest) and will have to implement DX10.1 soon (because it's a concern even to DX9 users...). :lol:

All this being said, chances are the GTX280 will stay on top for a while, and someone buying this card in the coming weeks/months shouldn't feel the real need of another graphics card update before quite a long time.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2008, 23:58 
Insiders
Insiders

The 280 has already dropped 150US (from release of 650 to 499 now) and some such as XFX, EVGA are even applying cashback to those who brought early and are noow a bit pi$$ed about the price drop! 30% ish!
There will def be another drop when the x2 comes out IMO, and maybe even a newwer card to compete. Same as always with PC parts ....you can always wait for something better/faster/cheaper but you have to tke the plunge at some point!

EIDIT>>those are RRP type prices apparently you can get them for 50 buck less online in the US

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2008, 01:10 

What I find annoying with nvidia and to a lesser extent ati is how they make way too many models, half of which are rebranded previous gen. based.

ex: the 9xxx nvidias are mostly retooled 8xxx.

The ones with real changes refresh fast enough already, we don't need artificially accelerated generation changes.