Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 08:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2008, 07:48 

Hiya,

I have built a surround gaming sci-fi home cockpit...
http://s481.photobucket.com/albums/rr174/hrw3go/?action=view¤t=HomeCockpit.jpg

The specs for my current system are in sig. I tried to find a thread or a web resource that speaks to my problem but I don't see one...

I have been somewhat successful in getting the Triplehead2go to work. Except for the PowerDesk SE application.

When I first installed it, there was the "first run" intro window that let me choose my mode. Then it started acting funny. The "right click" in the task bar icon wouldn't open a box, or would open a malfunctioning one. After some re-installs etc. I was able to adjust the bezel management when one of the "first run" screens decided to show up.

Then the PowrDesk SE icon stopped even showing up in the taskbar.

I've tried to re-install... no go. I've tried installing the latest software versions... no go. I've tried switching the USB port... no go. I try to click on the .exe to lunch it directly... a quick hourglass and nothing happens. However it is indeed listed as a running process.

This of course means I can't even get to the bezel management feature... a must for proper surround gaming.

I know the PowerDesk feature isn't impressive but it is necessary for a couple things about this product.

Any help really would be greatly appreciated...

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2008, 12:59 
Editors
Editors

Wow, that cockpit of yours is terrific :shock: Wood planks and car seats can do wonders in the proper, creative hands, heheh. And I have the very same... keyboard. :D (Saitek Eclipse, right ? Erm, except mine recently died actually. It sort of continuously inputs 3333333333s... I didn't even know a keyboard could die. Ah well.)

Seems like there's some compatibility issue with your system that's preventing Powerdesk from working correctly. And I think DFI mainboards have some kind of USB-related weirdness, can't remember where I read this, but iirc users had to turn off their PSU each time they shut down their PC in order for the TH2G to be properly initialized upon the next boot. Did you try that ? Also, do you have other apps launching at startup ?

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2008, 18:24 

Nice setup, AmeerNuub.

scavvenjahh,
Tried removing both 3 keys to see if that fixed it?

My eclipse has worked fine for years now, though I've recently had problems with it stop working (unplug/replug fixes that, could be a loose connection somewhere along the path or my switch).

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2008, 19:59 

Awe shucks... thanks folks! I guess I should have posted a separate thread for that. :oops: You know the problem though? That cockpit is one station of a five station home gaming pc network that belongs to an antisocial, misanthropic hermit!!! :wink: :lol: I use it for family fun night, but after all these years have never had anyone over to use it (I just don't know anybody, ergo the hermit thing).

The slide cage is rail mounted for full enclosure. Those are lighted spst momentary switches that will be programmable / map to keyboard, etc... I just don't have them hooked up yet. The seat is actually a gaming chair you can get at wm that hooks into the sound system. The cockpit has 5.1 surround as it is, but I split the rear channels to also go through the chair speakers on the left and right, and the extra sub in the chair back that gives a kind of "force feedback" since you feel most of the appropriate triggers through it.

scavvenjahh - ohhh gosh I know, I know. My foot rudder, stick and throttle, keyboard, everything is Saitek and is a total love / hate relationship. In my opinion they are the only serious choice for PC game controllers. Unparalleled design, layout, and programmability. But they are SSOOOOOOO hit and miss in terms of quality and dependability. When they work, they work great forever, it's just tough finding the working ones. I own three X52 flight control systems. I got kicked out of a Best Buy when trying to buy the last one because I wanted to open the one I was about to purchase and plug it in to one of their floor pc's to make sure it wasn't defective! It looked like a return that was just put back on the shelf. Fry's had no problem letting me do that, and they got the sale.

I just got the keyboard, though, and unfortunately read bad things about it. Stuff about the keys being "spray painted" and the paint coming off quickly, they keys getting sticky or no longer working, etc. So far, it's been fine for me, but again, I haven't had it for very long.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2008, 20:20 

About the issue...

I tried to reset the PSU, but no go.

The apps that run at start-up that I know of = nvidia system monitor, creative mediasource go, McAfee protection.

Like I say, the unit is working... the TH2G itself runs fine. The powerdesk programs even lists as a running process. Right now it is in 3840 X 800, can be changed using the windows or nvidia controls, and the TH2G gaming software runs fine.

I just need that PowerDesk utility to open for the important bezel management and other necessary mode tweaks.

I've even looked in the .ini text files for some kind of line to change the "firstrun=false" line to "true" just so I can get the panel to open and at least set up the BM, but I don't see any. :cry:

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2008, 01:52 

Can you say buggy buggy buggy?

The PD software has decided to show up out of the blue after all this time. It is working and has booted three times now in a row. Hopefully it won't disappear.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2008, 13:27 
Editors
Editors

I can see another love/hate relationship starting :lol:

[OT]
As for the keyboard, I had been (ab)using it for maybe 2 years. No real paint problem on the keys, just the Eclipse logo above the arrow keys getting partially erased pretty quick. Then all of sudden, the 333333 problem. I disassembled/reassembled it completely, to no avail. And here I am, back to a greyish PS/2 noname keyboard, and wondering if I should just buy another Eclipse, gather info to attempt to fix my old one, or try another product...
[/OT]