Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 20:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 3 Monitor Setup Help
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2009, 06:12 

Hello All :)
I am new to the forum and have a brain buster for you.

I would prefer to run a 3 monitor setup with 2 EVGA GeForce GTX 260 896MB Video Cards using 3 Widescreen LCD Monitors if possible, the motherboard I will be using is the ASUS Crosshair II Formula AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard.

Okay, how I believe it should be hooked up is:

A: Plug in a left and right monitor into 1 card, then plug in the center monitor into the 2nd card?

OR

B: Run Both cards in SLI - and use the Matrox TripleHead2Go DP Edition that will run 3 22" monitors @ 1680X1050 Resolution?
The thing is, I would rather run 3 24" 1920X1080 ASUS monitors, which the Matrox TripleHead2Go DP Edition will not do.

C: Use the 2 EVGA GeForce GTX 260 896MB Video Cards in SLI to run off of the center 24" monitor, then for my left and right monitor, I plug both monitors into my existing 8800GTS OC2 card?

By running 2 video cards in a SLI configuration, the 4 DVI ports from these cards I will use 1 DVI port for the center monitor, then the 8800GTS OC2 card, use both DVI ports for the left and right monitor. Is that correct?

I believe I might get kick ass performance installing it that way, my 8800GTS OC2 card is very good- I can play COD5/CODWAW/Far Cry/FEAR at very high settings. Im just wondering though, if I am using 2 monitors on that card will I still get very good performance out of the two monitors?

The Maximum Digital Resolution on the 8800 is 2560x1600 and the maximum VGA Resolution is 2048x1536 so since the 24" monitors are 1920X1080 each, do you believe there might be a problem with the graphics card running with the 2 monitors? What would be the worst thing that could happen? Its slow or will not keep up with the center monitor?

I would like to know which of these ways would be the best at playing FPS games at high/Very High settings?

Which of these options would work the best for gaming on 3 monitors, A ,B,C or an alternative?

Btw, This PC will be used for gaming and home office- so i would like it to run games on 3 monitors and when i am not playing games i can take advantage of all 3 monitors while i work/browse online/chat/look @ youtube ect....

Any Help would be appreciated

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2009, 22:24 
Editors
Editors

:welcome
Moved to surround hardware and tech support. :)

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 09:48 

Why make things so complicated....

Just get a TH2G plug all 3 monitors into this, and run the 2 Video Cards in SLI, utilizing just the 1 availible port from the SLI rig.

Job done.