Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 02:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 04:25 

Why, oh why can't we get a working 5040x1050 with WHQL driver Nvidia releases? I'm primarily a pc gamer, and I'm always picking up the newest games. Of course the newest games often require new drivers to perform well, especially with SLI. Getting top gfx card performance is essential when you're trying to drive resolutions that high, so 182.50 is just not an option any more.

Speaking of 182.50, this was the last driver I had the PowerDesk software actually install correctly with the correct modes (I think I might have had to do some workarounds even then though). It sounds like many others are in the same boat. How long ago was that? Yes, I've tried the 190.56 betas, and they work- sort of. The mode randomly gets cleared on reboots, the PowerDesk software doesn't recognize that the NV panel has them installed, or vice versa, etc. Basically one issue after another when I just want to boot up and play. Again, they work, but not the way Matrox intended, and not without frequent annoyances. So 2 of my 3 24" screens sit powered off 99% of the time. I've just moved on to the 190.62's anyway from the headaches. Come on Matrox, is it THAT hard?

How is it that Matrox can get specific support in products like Burnout Paradise, but they won't even get their sh!t straight with Nvidia? If your product requires another company's product to function, at all, wouldn't you make it a priority to set up a working relationship with that company? Seriously? How many months of WHQL drivers (or the just about all the beta's) have gone by with zero apparent effort on the part of Matrox to get this settled? Now that EyeFinity is here, ATI has effectively gone for the throat of Matrox, you'd think they'd be a little more willing to get things worked out with Nvidia.

As it stands now, I have very little patience left with my TH2G and have gone from talking it up to friends, to actually recommending against it when someone inquires about how to get a 3-screen setup. I picked up a 3D Vision Kit and the Samsung 22" and have been getting my gaming immersion that way. I found a nice monitor arm and a way to have both the TH2G and the 3d Vision on my desk at the same time, but had that not worked out, the Matrox setup would have been on Ebay.

I understand that some of you out there might be happy just playing older games, or living with a fraction of the performance the newer drivers give on some setups, but I'm guessing a product like the TH2G appeals to the hardcore pc gamers- the group that's always on the move with their tech and setups. 6 months in the world of gfx drivers is an eternity that most of us aren't willing to wait for. Maybe it's not all Matrox's fault, but they ultimately are the people I bought my expensive product from. I'm not going to ATI again, so there's really no other option left but to continue waiting, or just call it quits. The latter is looking more appealing everyday.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 07:07 
Insiders
Insiders

Have you heard about a little thing called EyeFinity?

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009, 17:56 

I have a feeling it is nVidia's fault more than Matrox's. I suspect that nVidia may be going to release a card of their own that does triplehead, like ATI's new offering. Maybe that's why they are not fully supporting TH2Go. This is only a guess though.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009, 18:45 

5040 x 1050 works fine with latest Nvidia divers in Win XP. New Ex Dell XP disks sell for very little now, just picked one last week and have XP installed on a second Hard disk. Not the best solution but it works.