Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 10:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 05:00 

Okay, literally right after I finished posting that the patch downloaded and proceeded to throw all my changes in the bin. It left me back at square one with me being totally unable to adjust any settings. After playing around with it for the last hour I have set it back the way it should be, but its a crappy fix that will hopefully be dealt with on the next patch.

NOTE: This only applies to those of you whose settings have now reverted and are again unchangable. I'll describe how I got mine working again, unfortunately this is no guarantee that it will work for you.

The falloutprefs.ini file in my Steam userdata folder is now totally ignored, so I only need to work with Fallout.ini and FalloutPrefs.ini in the My Games folder.

FIRST: Start the launcher. Everytime I start the Fallout launcher it actually overwrites these two files with some sort of default file, even if Fallout.ini is set to Read Only. The FalloutPrefs.ini file seems to maintain all of the correct settings, but the Fallout.ini file appears to be the one actually setting values like iSafeX and bEnableEyefinity, and this file is being overwritten with the default values.

After the launcher is started, I complete all of the changes to the two files described in my previous post.

Once this is done, I COPY both files, and paste them somewhere that can be accessed easily.

Then I can play Fallout NV with no problems, gamble, pillage, ignore that stupid Caravan card game, what have you.

Now when I quit, I see that the FalloutPrefs.ini file has been overwritten again, no big deal. However, the next time I start the launcher it will once again overwrite BOTH files. The idea here is to start the launcher, then overwrite the copies of FalloutPrefs.ini and Fallout.ini with the ones you previously copied. Every time. Lame. Functional, but lame.

I'm starting to think this is a combination of awful Bethesda errors and Steam acting insane, anyone with any insight into this would be highly appreciated.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 05:23 

Okay, literally right after I finished posting that the patch downloaded and proceeded to throw all my changes in the bin. It left me back at square one with me being totally unable to adjust any settings.

Man that sucks,,, and is strange.
By strange I mean, today is when I made the changes. The patch came yesterday. I have had no problems with the settings sticking. They are now just like they were earlier today when I fixed it.
Not sure what would be causing yours to change and mine to remain???
I only have the 'My Games' Fallout.ini set to Read Only. The two FalloutPrefs.ini are open.
Just to make sure nothing funny was going on, I did restart the game using the Launcher and all is still fine like it should be.
In Steam > Library > Fallout: New Vegas > RMB > Properties > Updates: is set to Always keep this game up to date.

I hope you can soon figure out what is happening, especially since you are the one that posted a fix that has (so far) worked for me.
At least there is hope, since my game is settings are sticking (again, so far).

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 05:36 

Well I am having the same problems. I have no idea how to fix this, but your method of opening the game...then changing the files when the splash screen is up does work. My FallouPrefs seems to stay the same, but Fallout.ini changes every time the game opens...tried offline mode with the same results, so it seems pretty clear this is from the patch they just released. It saves a bit of time to just create two Fallout.ini files and rename them after the splash screen...very lame though. Nice job on finding the "fix"

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 06:17 

I can't say that I am surprised that FO:NV doesn't run properly in eyefinity, it is after all developed by Obsidian. They are a truly B grade gaming outfit that have made a name for themselves developing inferior sequels to other developer's titles. I was surprised that Bethesda would risk their good brand by turning over the development of NV to these guys with their track record.

You're kidding right? You do realize that Obsidian was founded by ex-Black Isle Studio guys, right? You know, the guys who made the original Fallout games? In terms of talent, you won't find a studio with more Fallout veterans anywhere. If anything, Fallout 3 is the less 'legitimate' Fallout game of the two.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 10:01 

Is there anyway of editing the (.ini) files or some other fix to allow using only the middle monitor on an eyefinity setup? Have to disable eyefinity now in order to play, which is very annoying each time you want to start up the game.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 10:28 

[quote]I can't say that I am surprised that FO:NV doesn't run properly in eyefinity, it is after all developed by Obsidian. They are a truly B grade gaming outfit that have made a name for themselves developing inferior sequels to other developer's titles. I was surprised that Bethesda would risk their good brand by turning over the development of NV to these guys with their track record.

You're kidding right? You do realize that Obsidian was founded by ex-Black Isle Studio guys, right? You know, the guys who made the original Fallout games? In terms of talent, you won't find a studio with more Fallout veterans anywhere. If anything, Fallout 3 is the less 'legitimate' Fallout game of the two.

No mate I'm not kidding. Kotor 2 (Obsidian) inferior to Kotor 1 (Bioware); NWN2 (Obsidian) inferior to NWN (Bioware); Alpha Protocol (Obsidian) = garbage. I don't care who founded Obsidian, their track record in recent years is poor.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 15:45 

Is there anyway of editing the (.ini) files or some other fix to allow using only the middle monitor on an eyefinity setup?

The only quick way I can think of offhand is to switch between Extended Desktop and Eyefinity, with Windows Key + P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOHRPunVHVI

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 16:01 

Hmmm... FNY works fine for me (after some edits in the inis). Ok, texts on pip and terminal are terrible to read, but nonetheless I have a lot of fun right now ;)

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 16:02 
Editors
Editors

No mate I'm not kidding. Kotor 2 (Obsidian) inferior to Kotor 1 (Bioware); NWN2 (Obsidian) inferior to NWN (Bioware); Alpha Protocol (Obsidian) = garbage. I don't care who founded Obsidian, their track record in recent years is poor.

Agreed. Obsidian might have a good pedigree, but their performance is, frankly, appalling. I haven't even completed KotOR2 as it's unbelievably buggy! (Always get stuck in Jedi Enclave because Atris thinks I've still not done something, even when I have done it...) this is the UK retail version...:( doesn't matter which patch I use...

And NWN2... let's not get started on that. It took dozens of patches for that game to start performing decently...

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 16:06 

Once this is done, I COPY both files, and paste them somewhere that can be accessed easily.

But you know that you need to overwrite the falloutprefs.ini from SteamUserDataYOURSTEAMID]22380Remote with the falloutprefs.ini from your myGames-Dir after you edited it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next