Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 15 Jul 2024, 16:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: TH2GO Resolution Problem
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2011, 17:10 

Hi all,

I have a TH2GO digital edition connected to 3 x Samsung T240 monitors (max resolution of each is 1920 x 1200) and I am having problems configuring the TH2GO it to run at it's maximum resolution which is apparently 5760 x 1080. It only allows 5040 x 1050 @59Hz. I followed someone else's post where they say to create a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel of 5760 x 1080@ 57Hz but it needs to Test this and fails.

Can anyone advise what I should try and do.

Thanks
D.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2011, 15:50 

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/resolution/resolutions.html

Due to bandwidth limitations of the DVI standard, a single DVI cable in order to support 5760x1080 must run at the vertical refresh rate of 50hz. About 97% of LCD monitors are not designed to support a refresh rate that low, usually they bottom out ~57hz.

Eyefinity and Nvidia Surround use 2-3 DVI cabling to achieve their resolutions, hence why they can reach high resolutions with high refresh rates.

It's a limitation of the DVI standard, Dual Port bumps it up a bit, but not that much more, and if you want to purchase a new DP TH2GO model plus new monitors that all support DP, well, at that point you might as well look into Eyefinity or Nvidia Surround and dump the TH2GO.

I run two 560Ti's in SLI feeding my TH2GO DE, I max out at 5040x1050 either at 57hz or 60hz. Here's the key, DirecX 11 (and beyond) won't allow you to run resolutions with a vertical refresh rate lower than 60hz. This is a MS design limitation of the DX standard.

So, this pretty much puts the final nail in the TH2GO coffin. As long as 5040x1050 is good enough, you can play DX11 titles and later (provided the 60hz mode is used). If you want higher, Eyefinity or NvidiaSurround is the only way to go.

I have a good relationship with a few techs over at Matrox, I've been a TH2GO user since '07 and communicate regularly with them. At this point, there are no definite plans to upgrade the TH2GO product line to get around the single DVI cable limitation.

A solution could be to use DVI ports, spread the bandwidth between two DVI cables and use the TH2GO to mux/demux them back to montiors. Again, it's a DVI bandwidth limitation at this time. You can only make a propeller driven aircraft fly so fast due to inherent limitation of the technology, DVI is in the same boat. To go faster, switch to newer tech.