Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 17:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 04:48 
Insiders
Insiders

Tried a very quick go last night and made a new record 20 mins. Marathon testing will happen tonight, in DX9, will report back

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 11:43 
Insiders
Insiders

Nope crash still there and DXP looks AWFUL and flickery. Followed your instructions to the latter, hope it works for others though

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 13:58 

Nope crash still there and DXP looks AWFUL and flickery. Followed your instructions to the latter, hope it works for others though

I had the same problem, i did not get any CTDs but the game is really "stuttery" and some large maps have tons of artifacts. At least if feels like we are getting somewhere.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 15:31 

Okay, I just finished 5 hours of gameplay with no CTDs. I'm not saying this IS a fix, hence why I'm posting here, to see if this may work for everyone else and get more people giving it a go.

I may be a bit verbose, however, I think it's worth it. This involves messing around with your DirectX files a bit, but, very minor impact.

Rig:
Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ (Intel X48 chipset)
Intel QuadCore 9450
2 Nividia 560Ti's in SLI (Using 1.5 SLI hack)
Nvidia Drivers 275.33
TH2GO DE
Resolution: 5040x1050
Forcing DX9 in BFBC2
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
BFBC2 latest version (Steam Installed)

BFBC2 settings.ini (Note the DXVersion is forced to 9):
[WindowSettings]
Fullscreen=true
Width=5040
Height=1050
RefreshRate=59
VSync=false
[Sound]
Quality=high
VoipEnable=false
SpeakerCount=5
[Graphics]
Effects=high
Soldiers=high
Vehicles=high
Overgrowth=high
Undergrowth=high
StaticObjects=high
Terrain=high
Shadows=high
Bloom=true
HSAO=true
MSAA=0
Water=high
MainQuality=custom
Texture=high
DxVersion=9
Aniso=4
Detail=high
RenderAheadLimit=1
Fov=65

Okay, I was looking around my BFBC2 folder and noticed some DirectX files in the install directory:

D3DX9_42.dll
D3DCompiler_42.dll
(more files for D3DX10 and D3DX11 as applicable for the DirectX version you are running)

I said, hmmm, that's odd, why are there DirectX files in the install directory, it should be referring to my system's DX install....hhhmmm. So, I removed all the .dll files to a subdirectory called "oldDX" except for binkw32.dll, this is needed for the BINK video portions of the game.

Ran the game, all is still good. I stopped and pondered for a moment and thought, why would the game be calling a specific version of a DX library, I thought it should be using the latest....hhhmmm.

So, I went to my DirectX install directory:

C:WindowsSysWOW64

and sure enough, found the following files with a 9/4/2009 date:
D3DX9_42.dll
D3DCompiler_42.dll
d3dcsx_42.dll

I said to myself, gee I wonder. So I renamed those files by putting an "old" at the end:
D3DX9_42_old.dll
D3DCompiler_42_old.dll
d3dcsx_42_OLD.dll

Tried to run the game, it wouldn't launch. Aha, I said to myself, the game is calling a specific DirectX library, an older library that is.

Since my DirectX has the latest (June I think), there is a later DirectX library, these files have a 5/26/2010 date, those are:

D3DCompiler_43.dll
d3dcsx_43.dll
D3DX9_43.dll

NOTE: MAKE SURE YOU RENAME YOUR ORIGINAL _42 files so you don't overwrite them. BE SURE TO RENAME THEM, DON"T COME BACK HERE COMPLAINING YOU OVERWROTE THEM, I WARNED YOU

I went ahead and made a copy of those three files and renamed them to the "_42" library so BFBC2 would pick them up:
Copy_of_D3DCompiler_43.dll renamed to D3DCompiler_42.dll
Copy_of_d3dcsx_43.dll renamed to d3dcsx_42.dll
Copy_of_D3DX9_43.dll renamed to D3DX9_42.dll

Now, BFBC2 will link to the _42 library, however, it's actually running the _43 library, just renamed to _42.

Launched the game, and played for 5 hours with no CTD. THIS ISN"T EXHAUSTIVELY TESTED, I"M NOT GUARANTEEING ANYTHING. However, I played for 5 hours straight, no CTD, so I offer this workaround to everyone else to hammer it more. If it works, great, if not, well, I tried.

If you want to try the same fix for DX10 or DX11, the same files exist, just with a DX10 or DX11 name change. Just do the same thing. I don't use DX10 or DX11 because it causes some scaling issues in game, DX9 works just fine for me.

If you do try this, be sure to post your results.

Hi cinoaz,

d3dx9_42.dll
It is because you will be missing written documents.
Step 1. You may acquire http://www.d3dx9.net/download-missing-d3dx9_42-dll/ listed here.
Step 2. Substance that submit for your system32 in addition to process directory. Additionally place it with your syswow
Step 3. Browse through in your System32(32Bit OS) or maybe SyWOW64(64Bit The gw990) Directory.
Note: The venue with System32 or perhaps SyWOW64 is
C:WindowsSystem32 (If you work with 32Bit Windows 7)
C:WindowsSysWOW64 (if you are using 64Bit House windows)
Step 4.Paste your d3dx9_42.dll in to that directory.
Step 5.Manage the action. It would deliver the results at this moment.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 16:16 

Well, it seems it sorta worked for some folks.

The problem still comes down to scaling. There is something about having to stretch the menus or center the menus across WideScreen resolutions that causes DirectX (and/or BFBC2 menu script) to go into Anaphylactic Shock.

If you cut down the resolution, no problems....stretch it out...bam!!! you get hit.

I also think that those using Eyefinity or NvidiaSurround are impacted moreso than I when using DirectX9. I use the TH2GO, so, my widescreen is more hardware whereas the other two are more software controlled and rolling back to DX9 may not be friendly with software solutions.

I found a .FBRB extractor, however the encode feature doesn't work properly. If someone could gain access to the Menu Display scripts, maybe, just maybe, there's a tweak in there somewhere to handle the in game menus.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 18:14 

No one has been able to fix it because it cannot be fixed. Think about it. If EA can fix it they would do it. That is common sense.

It cannot be fixed unless EA does it from the inside. Its been over a year with many complaints, still no fix. I do not think they will fix it before BF3. If you play BC2 are you going to get BF3? I bet the answer is yes. When BF3 comes out most ppl will move onto BF3 and BC2 will look empty and forgotten by the 3 screeners. I love/hate the game. I cannot play the new maps on rush, they ctd within 5 minutes and when it happens I hate it with passion. I no longer play them. I want a game that works for all I paid for.

The crashing is just to much to take and EA has obviously given up on the 3 screen fix. BF3 is out in a couple of months so I have given up on the fix for broken 3 screen maps

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 19:53 
Insiders
Insiders

It's some kind of a Frame-Buffer issue with these resolutions was the last word from a DICE rep on this.

They know what caused it and they know how to fix it... I've tested it for them and it works.

It's the crappy way they built this game that doesn't allow quick hot-fixes to be deployed easily, so they would roll them into r11, which has apparently been pushed aside by EA's whip-cracking for BF3.

At least they've acknowledged their patching system blows and will overhaul it to be more friendly to rapid deployment of small fixes on PC for the new game.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 20:31 

It's some kind of a Frame-Buffer issue with these resolutions was the last word from a DICE rep on this.

After my 2nd CTS I had a good idea it was related to the redraw of menus with these resolutions hence when I saw those directs files in the install directory I had that idea.

SX9, DX10 AND DX11 all handle things differently so it was a shot in the dark to try to change the way graphics are done to maybe sidestep the offending logic.

Yes I will be transitioning to BF3 much like w eryone else but there is still much game time to be enjoyed till then. Ill try pinging Dice again..not the first time I would be banging my head against the wall

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 20:41 
Insiders
Insiders

Yeah, It's pretty frustrating that this has gone on so long.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2011, 00:47 

BF3 looks so amazing! Have you seen that thunder run tank trailer? I can't believe that quality of the graphics. I think cod will be finished after BF3 is released. blops is finished. Only ppl I know that play that game are children. It is so boring. Same game modes that every other game has stolen. The general feel of the game reeks of old age plus it is dx9! and cartoony. Mw3 will need a whole new type of game modes and dx11 enhanced graphics in order to compete. If they don't employ a destruction system as good as frostbite then it will feel like rats running around in a maze. I still laugh at hiding behind cardboard boxes to block missiles lol

Just watched the MW3 trailer it looks terrible and they are ripping off BF3 falling buildings lol