Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 10 Sep 2024, 17:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2007, 00:03 
Editors
Editors

:lol: ...

Most calibration tools require you to use your eyes and adjust your monitor/s to a graphic of some sort ...
Not really any diffrent to putting the same picture on each monitor and adjusting so they are all the same ...

Anyway ... I just dug out my old Parhelia disk and the software for calibrating your monitors was Coloreal.
I'll send Matrox an email to ask if it would work for TH2G users ...

From the readme ...

Coloreal Visual
===============

Path Product
---- -------
Coloreal Coloreal Visual

Use this program to fine-tune your monitor's color balance to
match other monitors and color printers, or to compensate for
different lighting conditions. For more information, see the
documentation included with this program.

Supports: Windows 2000/XP and NT 4.0

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2007, 16:14 

Hey All,

The Coloreal app that came with the original Parhelia card was a 1yr contract. After that we no longer supplied it on our CD’s. (I think that the company also went belly up, but I am not 100% sure about that) It was locked to work with the Parhelia only (or was supposed to be) so I am not sure if it would work with the TH2Go since the video card itself is not Matrox.

I have not tried it here at all.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2007, 03:19 

yep thats it Paddy, I remember it now... my set-up is off enough to niggle me when I see the slight change from one monitor to the next but not enough to start opening the window to throw something out...

Mine is noticable on start-up where the 3 are not the same black, but I know if I start playing about with the black there is a knock on effect with everything else, and you end up chasing your tail for hours trying to match everything and end up pressing the re-call button.

It is weird that Matrox didnt give us some sort of calibration util, It was a given that people would need to calibrate the 3 monitors?

For the money they saved from closing their forum they could have paid someone to make one. :roll:

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2007, 03:35 

Yeah all monitors vary from each one. Look at the dell 24"ers you could line up 5 of them in a row when they first came out

1 would have horrible backlight others would be find
1 would have horrible banding others would be fine
1 would have horrible ghosting and others would be fine
2 would have other issues such as stuck pixels

Just trying to put it in perspective that not all will be the same

Environmental causes such as the temperature and other things when they were made might cause it too

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2007, 10:30 
Editors
Editors

@ Richie ... thanks for the heads-up ... 8)
I wonder ... is this the same company ... with an updated programme ? ... http://www.ortery.com/colorealpro/colorealpro.asp
I can't see anyway (on the site) that you could download it or buy it ... :?

@ andybris ...
... and you end up chasing your tail for hours trying to match everything and end up pressing the re-call button.
Yeah ... been there ... :lol:
Although these days it doesn't seem to be such a problem for me ... maybe I have mastered my screens controls ... :lol:

@ packerfan ... I know what you are saying but my Dell 24" screens have ... remarkably ... been pretty close and no dead pixels ... :D
This is not the case with my Dell 20" screens ... although there are no dead pixels their colours are quite different and the viewing angles is no where near as good as the 24" screens ... :(

There is some FREE monitor calibration software here ... http://www.hex2bit.com/products/product_mcw.asp
I don't know if it is any good as I haven't tried it.

Post subject: Amazing!
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2007, 02:23 

Perhaps I don't have the delicate eye that you guys do. I bought 3 brand new Hanns-G monitors for my TH2G. All three of them are spot on for color. Sometimes I notice a slight difference in brightness but I chalk that up to just a different angle, as when I move my head a little it come into line.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2007, 14:11 

bought 3 brand new Hanns-G monitors for my TH2G. All three of them are spot on for color.

Which one did you buy?
Are you satisfied?

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2007, 00:33 

Hanns·G JC-199DPB Black 19" 8ms

I was pretty happy with them. There was one monitor that had a stuck pixel, but with some continued rubbing, I was able to get it going again.

The only downside I have noticed is that with a few darker colors. I can bearly see vertical lines. Annoying, but since I only see it for a few colors its fine (I only notice it with the steam color scheme).

I was mainly going for a cheap monitor with 8ms refresh rate or better. I was able to find a good rebate for them during the holiday season. Newegg for $180 or there is one from tiger direct that has 5ms.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2007, 20:07 

ut with some continued rubbing, I was able to get it going again.

I have never heard of that kind of trick :)

The only downside I have noticed is that with a few darker colors.

Yes, if it is going dark, the cheap lcds cannot compensate their price related disadvantages.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2007, 16:22 

Fixing a stuck pixel is possible, its not 100% guaranteed though.

In my case I had a blue pixel, would rub it out, then after the monitor would turn off/hibernate, it would come back, I would rub it out. This cycle continued for a couple of weeks, each time it would take a little longer to go away. I was getting close to just giving up, but every time I saw it and it bugged me I would get rub it out again. Finally one time I did it, it flickered for a long time, then went away and has stayed gone ever since (late January).