Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 23 May 2024, 14:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: future of th2g
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2007, 14:40 

hi every1, this is my first post. m planning to get th2g. but i hav some queries. plz clear me.
1. is the future of triplehead gaming bright?
2. i'll be using crt 17" monitors. will the black bars on the edge will ruin my experience using bezel management?
3. is there anyway 2 avoid these black bars even if i use bezel management. like increasing the fov even further?
4. is softth a better option for me?

help me guys. :? :? :?
i play lots of FPS and no racing or sims.

Post subject: Re: future of th2g
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2007, 16:47 

hi every1, this is my first post. m planning to get th2g. but i hav some queries. plz clear me.

I'd say yes. nearly every new popular engine supports it: cryengine2, U3, source (not new, but popular).

2. i'll be using crt 17" monitors. will the black bars on the edge will ruin my experience using bezel management?

i don't even see the bars, but i use ultra-thin bezel LCDs, so i don't know how they are if they are bigger.

3. is there anyway 2 avoid these black bars even if i use bezel management. like increasing the fov even further?

not yet.

help me guys. :? :? :?

depends on which games you want to play and on your hardware. you have a 8800ultra and another rather good GPU -> SoftTh might work smoothly.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2007, 19:31 

Absolutely. More and more games properly support ultra-wide fields of view.

I think so. I use my Digital TripleHead2Go with three 21" CRTs, and I don't use bezel management. The amount of image lost behind each set of bezels is 3 or 4 inches, which is too much. You can see for yourself, though. Bezel Management can be toggled on and off, so you don't have to use it.

No. When Bezel Managment is on the TripleHead2Go adds black to the outside edges of your side monitors and removes information from the inside edge, effectively shifting the image towards the center.

I don't think so. I'm not too familiar with SoftTH; can you perform bezel adjustments without losing image on the outside of the side monitors? If so, it might aid there but it still requires much more tweaking to get working and does not perform as well as a TripleHead2Go.

I wouldn't worry about your bezels. Sure they're big, but triplehead gaming is about the immersion, and bezels do very little to distract from that.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2007, 00:42 

The UE3 is not very well supported, but it always seems to get patched. Epic may in time fix native widescreen compatibility (which is the issue, its not just a TH problem), but nothing is certain.

Personally I think the bezel mgmt feature on the dTH2G is worthless. Why would you want to throw away information?

It's important to remember how the brain interprets vision. It actually stitches together the scenes you look at internally. So although there are bezels diverging the view, you actually notice it very little. Your brain just ignores it.

The only time it's an issue I have found is with subtitles. When they pan across the bezel it can be hard to quickly read. With racers, flight sims, shooter, even RTS', the bezels are a non-issue.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2007, 20:30 

I don't think so. I'm not too familiar with SoftTH; can you perform bezel adjustments without losing image on the outside of the side monitors?

yes instead of 3840x1024, you get something like 4000x1024 (depend on the size of the bezel you set...)

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2007, 00:55 

I'm pretty sure that's wrong.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2007, 08:27 

here a screenshoot of nr2003
triple 1280x1024 with bezel of 128
so the game is set to 4096x1024...