Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 16:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2009, 10:43 
Editors
Editors

Just some future planing on my part, wondering what the popular vote says is the best monitor size & type for a triple wide setup.

Don't just vote on the poll, post your experience and why you picked what you picked. I would like to get a discussion started to talk about the pros & cons of each setup choice.

Also think outside the box, you can pick say 3x17" and say its the best because its very cheap, it doesn't have to be the best just because it looks/performs the best. Thats why I need reasons to go with the votes.

I really like the look of these 24" Asus monitors: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236048

Never heard of anybody using 16:9 for a triple wide setup though, nice thin bezels and not too expensive.

I am also concerned with the resolution options, I know to do the full 1050 vert res it has to be 57Hz, lets hope the TH2GO gets an upgrade down the road to allow more modes & more refresh rates.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2009, 19:01 

the TH2G won't do 1900x3, not sure whether you care about that.

I like the widescreen x3 setup, native resolution. 20" or 22" - at 3x22" I'm actually turning my head more than I'd like to see the outside sections of the outer screens. Perhaps I need to sit farther back. :)

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2009, 19:16 
Insiders
Insiders

3x1280x1024 because its the highest resolution that gives the least amount of hassle. It would take a lot of convincing to get me to go 3x1680x1024 with all the problems I've heard about just on these threads.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2009, 21:11 
Editors
Editors

See the thing to keep in mind is you can have a larger res monitor than what you run, just you will be at the mercy of the monitors internal scaling.

The main reason to go with say 3x 24" is for those things you have to do that do not support or can not work on 3 monitors.

In my case that would be watching movies, and games that do not go triple wide.

You have to again weight out the cost vs reward to have the bigger monitors.

That actually brings up a good question. Kind of like a KVM switch can you toggle the TH2GO from triple to single monitor on the fly so you can use your main monitor @ full res with ease?

If not I would definitely add that to the wish lish for the next version with Matrox.

I also have faith that the modes that are currently so/so to run like triple 1050 will get easier and better to run given time.

Pro
> more space taken but more immersion
> bigger/better single monitor use

Con
>uses more space
> cost more
> maybe problems with the 57hz issue if you go 16:10

Even though I have not liked the Dell models in the past due to a band of issues, they are on the approved list for 1050 @ 57Hz and you can get them cheap when on sale. So 3x Dell 24" is a good way to go probably if your into 24".

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2009, 21:35 
Insiders
Insiders

You don't need a KVM switch to run TH2GO resolutions in games and native monitor resolutions on the desktop.

Video card one: TH2GO (1280x1024 on desktop and TH resolutions in game)
Video card two: Side monitors

Of course this method requires two inputs in the back of your monitors.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2009, 21:41 
Editors
Editors

You don't need a KVM switch to run TH2GO resolutions in games and native monitor resolutions on the desktop.

Video card one: TH2GO (1280x1024 on desktop and TH resolutions in game)
Video card two: Side monitors

Of course this method requires two inputs in the back of your monitors.

I guess I worded that bad.

I mean can it toggle from just one monitor at full native res (1920x1200) to 3 monitors (XXXXx1050) on the fly so you can use your prime monitor @ full res without having to bypass the TH2GO

I used the KVM because it came to mind when I was thinking of toggling things on the fly, but of course you toggle computers not screens on the KVM :P

I just think its a good idea, Matrox could have just one of the 3 outputs labled as "center/main" and that would be the one that can be used in single monitor high res mode.

If somebody was really rich they could really make use of something like this with a 3x 30" setup.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2009, 22:23 

3x1280x1024 because its the highest resolution that gives the least amount of hassle. It would take a lot of convincing to get me to go 3x1680x1024 with all the problems I've heard about just on these threads.
What he said

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2009, 22:34 
Editors
Editors

the TH2G won't do 1900x3, not sure whether you care about that.

I like the widescreen x3 setup, native resolution. 20" or 22" - at 3x22" I'm actually turning my head more than I'd like to see the outside sections of the outer screens. Perhaps I need to sit farther back. :)

I was under the impression for most games you only look at the center screen and just let the side two be more depth. Lots of titles are so warped there due to the FOV that there would not be much to look at.

Other games like WoW or a Flight Simulator though I can see how you would have reason to look on the outside monitors.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2009, 23:42 

I picked (3) 20" 1680*1050

I went that route with my set-up. I already had 1 so I only needed to buy 2 more LCDs. Aside from that I thought is was a good balance of cost, a high widescreen res, and would run at native res.

The downside was a smaller LCD for single screen apps and its not as sharp as I would like with the included PowerDesk software running @ 57 hz.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2009, 23:55 
Editors
Editors

I picked (3) 20" 1680*1050

I went that route with my set-up. I already had 1 so I only needed to buy 2 more LCDs. Aside from that I thought is was a good balance of cost, a high widescreen res, and would run at native res.

The downside was a smaller LCD for single screen apps and its not as sharp as I would like with the included PowerDesk software running @ 57 hz.

As long as the res is right that should be the only thing that effects the sharpness. the 57hz refresh rate just means in a second you get 3 less frames sent to the monitor, and that should make little difference at all especially for a LCD.

Have you run the monitor directly with no TH2Go to see if it looks the same? as now I wonder if there is more behind the scenes there than just a refresh rate change.

Edit: just got back from dells site both of the 20" monitors on sale are the 2009 model and both are TN panels... Ewww.

It may be quite a challenge to find 3 good 20" monitors that are not a TN, with good bezels and good quality for a decent price.

Best buy right now is the 22" 2008WFP for $200
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-6107

Still its TN also,

Man also new odd resolutions, they have a 23" 16:9 2048 x 1152 monitor in stock.