Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 08:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 03:55 

Ok I am running 3 -24" Dell 2408WFp's giving me a total resolution of 5760x1200res.

The only two games installed on my rig are World of Warcraft and Team Fortress 2. My biggest issue with " Eyefinity " is the two side monitors have a stretched out or fish eye lens view, is seems sort of distorted when looking on either side display, and that bothers me a bit. Where the center/main screen looks perfect, very crips with detailed and correct size and everything.

Plus I don't like the game icons thrown onto either the left or right screen, I would prefer my main stats like character, ammo, and other important stuff to be on my main center screen.

So running this resolution of 5760x1200, are there mods, or any files to help me adjust this FOV = field of view ? And change some stuff to make it look normal ?

Thank you for any tips or advice you can help me with, I am newb to triple screen gaming, a virgin in this area. I have been building my own computers for almost 15 years, and had to jump back to ATI after seeing the reviews of Eyefinity, and I am happy I did, I just think it needs some tweaking, and possibly some updates to the ATI drivers, and or game companies like Blizzard, and Valve patching these games to show such extreme resolutions correctly in-game ?

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 05:14 
Editors
Editors

TF2 uses the HL2 engine it just is like that, WoW should look pretty good though.

Remember normally you cant see a FOV this large even in real life the result of expanding the FOV to great size like that is infact a fisheye like view.

As you play looking at the center monitor the side monitors wont look distorted and you will get used to it. Its NOT eyefinity causing the problem eyefinity is just giving you the resolution nothing more and nothing less.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 08:51 
Editors
Editors

Welcome to the multi-monitor club. ;)

Some links with info you might find useful:
Centered HUD for Team Fortress 2

Edge Distortion info:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/10894
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/videos/edgedistort.php

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 12:31 

TF2 uses the HL2 engine it just is like that, WoW should look pretty good though.

He is pretty spot on.. WoW is one of the main uses of my TH2go rig and and it does suffer from the fisheye effect. But it depends on the angle you are on, where you are etc. Sometimes you can really feel it while others it looks quite normal.

You adjust :)

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 21:11 

In WoW, when you are indoors, or the objects on the side monitors are closer to you the worse the effect is. Jump on a flying mount, or get into a wide open area and you barely notice it.

It all comes down to how the graphics engine of the particular game renders everything. Unfortunately most of the times you cannot do anything about it.
Just focus on the center screen, and let your brain mentally adjust it for you.

Also play with the angle that you have your outer monitors, sometimes that helps.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 18:13 

another option:

/script WorldFrame:ClearAllPoints(); WorldFrame:SetPoint("TOPLEFT", 1000, 0); WorldFrame:SetPoint("BOTTOMRIGHT",-1000, 0);WorldFrame:SetUserPlaced(true);

This script will set your viewport in from the sides some, so you'll have a black area on the left and on the right monitors, depending on what you change that "1000" and "-1000" to. Use that black space on each side for a map (Carbonite), chat windows (Prat), etc.

This script will restore your viewport.

/script WorldFrame:ClearAllPoints(); WorldFrame:SetPoint("TOPLEFT", 0, 0); WorldFrame:SetPoint("BOTTOMRIGHT",-0, 0);WorldFrame:SetUserPlaced(true);