Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 02:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2007, 13:12 
Editors
Editors

mbeede did some testing ... look here ...

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/7391

:D

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2007, 07:50 
Insiders
Insiders

This would be great if it was possible, I'm really interested in replacing my middle monitor with a widescreen.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2007, 17:46 

[quote] With SoftTH you can have different resolutions but SoftTH comes with a performance hit.

My question is --- how big of a hit?... Are we talking just a little extra cpu work.. Or are we talking really making the cpu chug to keep up?

To me-- if its just a little hit on the cpu-- who cares.. With penylin(whatever they are called) coming up.. and some of the guys running 4ghtz on air with those things-- cpu hits arnt what they used to be...

Any thoughts on that paddy? anyone else?It's not a CPU hit at all. It's a GPU hit, and a hit across the PCI-Express bus as large amounts of graphical data get transferred from the rendering card to the card with the tertiary output, while the frame buffers stay synced. The hit is the overhead in using two cards to display what is really a single image. GPUs in SLI are directly linked and their is no frame buffer to sync, which is why they performs this task better (plus of course there are two GPUs rendering one scene).

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2007, 00:04 

hey buddy,

I actually do exactly what you are proposing to do;
I have a 20" w/s centre monitor with a 17" on either side. I actually have my monitors wall mounted on double arm brackets, which mean they can be moved all over the place.

To overcome the resolution problems I do the following:

Most of the time I have all 3 monitors connected to 2 graphics cards via DVI cable. the graphics cards are currently a 7800gtx and 7600gs. It stays in this mode whilst i'm working/browsing etc.

When i want to crack into a game, I use ultramon to change display profile so that these 3 dvi outputs are disabled, and the 2nd output on my faster card outputs via vga to the triplehead, and all screens change input. I've set up my middle screen so that when it has a vga input of 1280x1024 it doesn't stretch it out, and I then pull my side screens to cover the black gaps on the side.

I can't think of a better set up for myself, and if you want photos I'm happy to dig around for my digicam

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2007, 02:52 

Yeah, richy, bust out the photos. And you need atleast two for your little transformer you've got there.