Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 16:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008, 20:49 

wooot:

http://www.gamershell.com/news/44474.html
gogogo!

I just thought you might be interested.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2008, 08:15 
Insiders
Insiders

yeah I just DLd the patch will make some interesting trials!
My initial impressions (from CoD4- my current game of choice) was great add an almost 50% over normal SLI, but.........
At the moment I am a bit disappointed in 3SLI, because it can only ever use vista. I have found that some games just run shiiiite on vista. eg kane and lynch (only played 1 min at 10FPS on vista, will look into it later) and The Witcher* (which runs about 15FPS less on vista than XP). These are just mucking about, I need to play with all the extra settings you get with 3SLI -alternate frame rate rendering and normal at the same time, anyone? So it is certainly an enthusiasts set up but I think that I will have to spend more time than I would like tweaking Vista and 3SLI than actually playing the games, compared with XP and SLI.
So I am going to dual boot, it is no skin off my nose to remove the extra card and reboot into vista when I fancy.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2008, 10:57 

you don't have to remove the card if you want to switch to XP & normal SLI.
just disable it in the Windows Hardware Manager and activate SLI.

How do you cool the Cards? are they liguid or air-cooled, what are the temperatures like?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2008, 06:12 
Insiders
Insiders

aha now that is a good idea- man I am useless at lateral thinking- cheers!
one GTX (the one I remove) is using the vanilla cooler. The other 2 are cooled by a modified Coolit Systems SLI cooler. That means they are (just, it is a squeeze!) single slot. The case is open torture rack (danger den) and I have a couple of fans blowing on them. The temps are not much better than stock cos I have them on ultra quiet. About the same at idle but 10-15 less under load, ie they don't go up really under load. I would imagine, however, that the coolit would be much better than a stock cooler stuck right against the back of the next GTX!

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2008, 11:31 

i don't want to sound cheap, but 450$ is a little bit to much just fro GPU-cooling. :( :(
right now I'm thinking about having airdutcs that will suck out the air between the GPUs.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2008, 03:10 
Insiders
Insiders

I agree but I didn't pay anywhere near 450 bucks (NZ!) for mine,. I work in IT and the company I got it off had it sitting in their stocks for about a year and wanted rid of it- I took it off their hands for 250NZ

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 13:40 

I love the DD test rig setup. i so want that :) Wheres me credit card :)

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 20:54 
Insiders
Insiders

I love the DD test rig setup. i so want that :) Wheres me credit card :)

Yeah it is great, ans the amount of time i spend mucking about with my rig means it is sooo much better than a normal case.
It is not perfect though, I had to cut away a bit around the socket of the PSU to get it to fit in. Also the height of the PCI slots are wrong. I had to raise the mobo up by 4-5mm to get the cards to fit. Still a great case and worth every penny 8)

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2008, 03:04 

I figured I'd post this here since I might hit others with 2+ ultras in sli:

at what point do 2 8800 ultra in SLI become CPU limited? I haven't been able to find a clear/useful answer so far. My own tests have proven futile as at 1.2GHz I get almost identical results to 2.6GHz. I won't believe that even if this is a previous generation CPU, it can't remotely benefit from 2 ultras when at 2.6GHz.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2008, 06:14 
Insiders
Insiders

At high res I don't think it makes too much of a dif- it won't be CPU limited AFAIK, however NVidia recommend RAID 0 and 3GHz Intel quad core, IIRC