Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 12 Sep 2024, 17:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2008, 21:29 

[quote]I'm afraid I don't have LOTRO. If you're going to run such hefty resolutions you'll want lots of video memory (and high speed memory at that) to stop the card choking from lack of internal bandwidth, which makes the GTX280 and 4870X2 logical choices. I'm not too sure on the state of the 4870X2's compatibility with the TH2Go, so that bears checking out. Apparently there're refresh parts coming up from nVidia, though these are rumoured to be a die-shrink or a 280GX2 kind of arrangement...to be honest I've stopped looking as it'll only ultimately make me regret the 280!

Yeah skip the 4870x2, i got one and the performance is AMAZING but it jut doesnt work with TH2Go :(

right, which is why I'm holding off on any new card right now (unless a great deal comes along), I just got the 8800GT for $100 so I'll stick with it for now until I work out how to get things going for this 2xTH2G setup... then I'll buy a card... I wanted a 4870x2... but no TH2G is a deal killer.

I figure the longer I wait the better anyway... since maybe they'll fix the ATI card issues or the prices will drop on the high end stuff, or something more uber will come out... I'm sure at 2xTH2G I'll be really pushing a card anyway :)

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 03:35 

The texture size limit is also the display area size limit because the display area is a texture. At least thats what I was told many moons ago by a forgotten person possibly on this site.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 04:37 

The texture size limit is also the display area size limit because the display area is a texture. At least thats what I was told many moons ago by a forgotten person possibly on this site.

Hmmm, well I can't find that reference in MSDN (I'll find the links tomorrow that I bookmarked and post them so more eyes can look.)

But if that is the case, then is it safe to assume it's maximum pixels (not a hard width x height limit)? ... because 5040x1050 works on DX9... even though it requires a DX10 card... the game is still using DX9, so if it's a DX9 limit of 4096 x 4096 then it appears to be max pixels.

If it's a max pixels limit then 10080x1024 would be easily supported supported... as 4096x4096 is about 16.7 megapixels and 10080x1024 is only about 10.3 megapixels.

I guess based on above it's also possible that it's really only a texture size limit, not a surface limit. Is anyone willing to help hunt down MSDN documentation that shows exactly what the DX9 limit is?

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2008, 21:23 

Anybody have an opinion on the Asus VK222H vs SAMSUNG 2253BW.

If enough people like the Asus I might perfer it, especially with the extra input (HDMI) and the fact that 3 monitors would be $95 cheaper for me :)

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2008, 10:48 
Insiders
Insiders

Anybody have an opinion on the Asus VK222H vs SAMSUNG 2253BW.

If enough people like the Asus I might perfer it, especially with the extra input (HDMI) and the fact that 3 monitors would be $95 cheaper for me :)

It would take a lot of innovation before I quit buying Samsung. I have no real opinion on the ASUS screen though. My suggestion is to buy the Samsung displays.

I went triple 245BW and haven't regreted it one second. I've been pondering quad 245BW and 2x DH2G Digital.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2008, 20:28 

[quote]Anybody have an opinion on the Asus VK222H vs SAMSUNG 2253BW.

It would take a lot of innovation before I quit buying Samsung. I have no real opinion on the ASUS screen though. My suggestion is to buy the Samsung displays.

I went triple 245BW and haven't regreted it one second. I've been pondering quad 245BW and 2x DH2G Digital.

Well I ordered 3 x Asus VK222H since after rebates and cashback it was about $90 cheaper... so we'll see how I like them... the fact that they have 1x DVI , 1x HDMI , and 1xVGA was really the selling point for me as I can have them hooked up the the TH2G, VGA KVM, and one other input (probably just hooked up to the same PC as separate monitors)

if I don't like them, I suppose I can always return them and buy the Sammys.

Anybody know if there is a way to get windows to treat a TH2G as 3 separate monitors when on the desktop? (I like running ultramon with separate taskbars for each monitor. and being able to move windows from screen to screen easilly... right now I have a custom winsplit revolution config that sort of solves the problem, but it's not completely the same.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2008, 17:44 

Anybody know if there is a way to get windows to treat a TH2G as 3 separate monitors when on the desktop? (I like running ultramon with separate taskbars for each monitor. and being able to move windows from screen to screen easilly... right now I have a custom winsplit revolution config that sort of solves the problem, but it's not completely the same.
I know of know way to do that - if there was, you wouldn't see lots of people posting their disdain for Matrox's 2D desktop management software.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2008, 20:45 

[quote]Anybody know if there is a way to get windows to treat a TH2G as 3 separate monitors when on the desktop? (I like running ultramon with separate taskbars for each monitor. and being able to move windows from screen to screen easilly... right now I have a custom winsplit revolution config that sort of solves the problem, but it's not completely the same.
I know of know way to do that - if there was, you wouldn't see lots of people posting their disdain for Matrox's 2D desktop management software.

Guess I'm sticking with WinSplit Revolution then until I have time to write something else... my winsplit config actually works out pretty well... i've got the keys set on the numeric keypad to let me resize a windows to full screen on any monitor I choose, as well as split it to take up 25,33,50 or 66% of any screen in various configurations.... all and all, not horrible, but not ideal either.