Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 21 Aug 2024, 16:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2008, 17:50 

Could someone please explain what I'm missing regarding ergotron or other stands?

I just don't see why you'd spend the price or more of another panel just to mount your panels in the exact same spot as their built-in stand allows with a slight more space under em.

Hi,

For Tripleheader, it's easy to find plenty of reasons.

First of all, you can put something directly below your left/right monitors.
http://www.matroxrulez.net/pics/desktop.jpg

And if you take a look at my monitors, Eizo FlexScan L550's, you'll see the main reason for buying the triple desk stand. These monitors don't have proper stands, so without the Triple Desk Stand there would be huge caps between the monitors.
http://www.eizo.com/support/discontinued/lcd/l550.asp

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2008, 21:35 

I guess I don't see the reason for the multi-stands is because the panels I've had to date have had decent stands to begin with. My Westinghouse is large enough that even with the flat stand there I can still fit things. My benq's is a bit round but some things work there too and the samsung's too small to matter much.

And now that I've moved almost everything tech related to a 'tower' of shelves I built the only tech gear on my desk are the monitors, kb and mouse. So I don't need the under panel space anymore.

Well, glad you guys find a use for em, I still think they're way too expensive to be worth it though.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2008, 06:17 
Founder
Founder

Here is some of what I wrote in my review of my Ergotron stands

The real benefit comes from getting the monitor up and off your desk. My 30" panel was originally sitting in the corner of my desk. I also ran wires such as USB cables and speaker cables through holes in the back corner of that same area. It was a significant pain to make changes to my setup, as I had to work around the large panel, which filled the entire corner. With the Neo-Flex HD, I was able to simply move the monitor out of the way to rearrange anything in that area of my desk.

Pulling the monitor up off the desk allowed me to place other items on my desk, where the monitor stand had once been. This provided a significant improvement in making maximum use of my desk space

My recommendation is to seriously consider getting your monitors up off your desk, by mounting them on your wall. The freedom to make better use of your desk space is damn-near a liberating experience.

With a single panel, a wall mount is amazing. With my triple monitor setup, going to a single stand (and better yet, modding to mount on the wall) removes clutter form your desk. It allowed me to use the space under those monitors, which would have been taken up my a stand.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Ergotron_Neo-Flex_HD_%26_DS100_Triple-Monitor_Stand_%28Featured_Review%29

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 03:37 

I think stands are more of a luxury item, its not required hardware, but i you've spent the money for x3 20" WS LCD's, than another $200+ for saving deskspace is nothing,.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 04:26 
Insiders
Insiders

They would (I imagine, I use 3 cheapo single stands bolted onto a piece of 'C' shaped wood) be great if your screens, like mine, are not the same and the stands differ :)
My bodged together stand is not quite right either angle wise or height...so I would love a triple 24" stand!

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 04:42 

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but if your current 3 screens don't have identical stands, what stops you from getting 3 single screen stands that are identical? or maybe 1 single and 1 dual?

Or rig a panel behind your desk and use 3 single wall mounts?

I don't know, I'm just throwing ideas here.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 04:46 

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but if your current 3 screens don't have identical stands, what stops you from getting 3 single screen stands that are identical? or maybe 1 single and 1 dual?

Or rig a panel behind your desk and use 3 single wall mounts?

I don't know, I'm just throwing ideas here.
Most monitors have entirely different stand mounts for their own proprietary system. However, a lot have the mounting points available for a third party stand.

Unless your monitor is missing a mounting point, the only thing stopping you from buying either a wall mount or a stand is money.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 06:13 

I thought most of em followed the 'vesa' standard so that almost any wall mount fits?

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 17:44 

I thought most of em followed the 'vesa' standard so that almost any wall mount fits?
Most do for the wall mounts, however for the desk-stands a lot of them (for ex I have two, a dell and a Samsung) use their own proprietary mounts for the desk-stands in addition to the vesa mount points on the back.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 18:03 

Yea, often the standard desk stand that comes with your dell, or samsung or something else monitor isnt vesa but often has like two tabs that slip in an lock, however once you remove the mount vesa holes are usually behind it.

So generally putting a samsung stand on a dell wont work, but usually all have standard vesa for 3rd party.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next