Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 21 Aug 2024, 15:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 18:33 

The stands that come with the monitors sure. But aren't there third party vesa standard using deskstands? heck you could use the desk clamp/bolt mounts no? 3 identical of those should work?

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 19:19 
Founder
Founder

The stands that come with the monitors sure. But aren't there third party vesa standard using deskstands? heck you could use the desk clamp/bolt mounts no? 3 identical of those should work?

And that is what the Ergotron line of products are. They are 3d party mounting products that utilize the VESA standard. The offer single/dual/triple/quad mounting solutions; and they offer desk and wall mount solutions for single and doubles. I modded a triple to be wall mountable.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 00:11 

I'm using the Ergotorn LX triple stand, and I've gotta say it's a lovely piece of kit. There's one feature it doesn't have though which is proving to be annoying, and that's the ability to move it backwards and forwards (easily). Up and down, tilt etc is a breeze, but moving it back and forth is a real problem due to its weight and grippy rubber underneath.

I need to move the screens backwards and forwards for my race-sim cockpit which clips to the front of the desk. When seated behind the steering wheel in a laid-back position, the monitors are quite far away. To aleveiate this I draaaaaag the monitors forwards, and heave them back when finished. It's become such a pain in the *#%! that I've decided to make this device which is basically just a very low profile set of rollers to fit under the Ergotron LX:

Before I go ahead and have this thing made (at great expense) is there any off the shelf product out there that'll do this job already?

Many thanks,

Mr Pibb

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 04:46 

Couldn't you take one or more of those under the case/box wheel things to do the job? don't know how they'd fit size/height wise though.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 15:31 

I really like that Idea! I don't need to move my monitors near as much however it would make it nice for cleaning and if I ever did get to a point that I needed to pull my monitors closer it would make it a heck of a lot easier!

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 21:15 

Mr. Pibb,

I don't think you're going to find an off-the-shelf product to do what you want, but I bet you could build something simpler for cheaper. Of course, it will be a lot less refined, will take more vertical space, and not look anywhere near as nice. It's always a tradeoff.

Here in the States Home depot sell casters as small as 2 inches, in swivelling and fixed versions. Bolt three of the fixed versions to some plywood and you've got yourself a rolling platform that will take about 3 inches of vertical space. Paint it black or gray and it might not even look that bad. I'm guessing there's a Home Depot (do-it-yourself hardware retailer) equivalent in the UK. It will be a lot cheaper that custom metal construction, that's for sure.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2008, 00:11 

Thanks JKeefe.

Actually, there's more to this than meets the eye. The desk I'm using is a cheap Ikea desk. It's made from two VERY thin layers of veneer either side of a cardboard honeycomb core. Weight distribution is paramount.

But there's more... I'm currently building a race sim cockpit that's tucked away under the desk, but will fold out into position in two easy moves. The TH2Go will roll forward and into place as part of the first movement of setting up the cockpit (opening the cabinet door) via a mechanism linking the door to this roller unit illustrated above. It'll then return to it's normal position upon storing the cockpit away again when the cabinet door is closed. Lazy huh?

Anyway, the height of the monitors will be perfect for both normal use and in the cockpit with this low profile unit under. The cockpit's dash board will be just below bottom of screen.

In a nutshell, I can have a full-blown race sim cockpit when I want (the desk will then be in Mr Pibb mode) and then I can very quickly tuck it away to return the desk to normal (upon which the desk will be in 'wife friendly' mode). :wink:

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2008, 00:43 

It almost looks as if you are looking for miniature gravity conveyors. Gravity conveyors are using used in big industry and shipping to load/unload/move boxes. I'm not sure where you would get really little ones though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6