Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 06:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: thales100 wrote:valcan_s
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2011, 18:17 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]Ok 5760x1080 does work in window mode ...

I made almost 200 screens if you guys want more let me know: http://renewsoft.com/d3/5760by1080/

My upload speed is brutal so its going to take a while.

Great stuff ! But you can upload and create screenshot galleries here at WSGF, check here too if you have any doubts, cheers.

Cool, I will do that today after work.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2011, 06:15 

Sadly, I won't hold my breath on this staying a working solution. If we remember, multi-mon worked in beta of SC2 just fine as well. Then came release, and it was "cheating" all of a sudden and the patched it to prevent it.

And... blizzard dev's are morons as they have never seen how awesome an overhead isometric looks on multi-mon. I.E. torchlight.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2011, 11:11 

>16:9 only worked in Alpha, it never worked in SC2 beta EvilEngineer.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2011, 19:14 

This is really unfortunate. I don't understand Blizzard mentality on this game at all. I spend a lot of time away from home and at sea with no connection and I can tell you that D2 was a must have on everyone's single player travel game list. That had become it's niche. I am often away more than 90 days so my online accounts kept getting deleted due to inactivity, if that is still the policy then this game will be of no real use to me. But now this too, intentionally no multi-screen because they feel it wouldn't be useful, I really wish they would stop deciding what I will and will not like or use.

I have greedily played every Blizzard product out there but with this mentality... I'm not so sure any more.

Post subject: if they are saying its
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2011, 21:26 

if they are saying its because its an online only game and it pulls data from the servers. then the game itself better be like a gig. just backdrops and fmv. if the game has a big footprint and gets all its data "off the servers" thats double bull.

i loved SC1 and D1 and D2. i thoguht SC2 was "ok", and ive been looking forward to D3 forever now. and honestly with this new online only crap, plus actually using the servers for realtime gameplay, plus no support for my gaming setup. Blizzard, you are disappointment, and i am getting fed up with your shit

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2011, 15:53 

This is really unfortunate. I don't understand Blizzard mentality on this game at all. I spend a lot of time away from home and at sea with no connection and I can tell you that D2 was a must have on everyone's single player travel game list. That had become it's niche. I am often away more than 90 days so my online accounts kept getting deleted due to inactivity, if that is still the policy then this game will be of no real use to me. But now this too, intentionally no multi-screen because they feel it wouldn't be useful, I really wish they would stop deciding what I will and will not like or use.

I have greedily played every Blizzard product out there but with this mentality... I'm not so sure any more.

I think part of the problem might be in how we are presenting the issue ( as a technology to be supported ).
Instead of requesting Blizzard to support a technology ( multi-monitor )
which gives them the option of easily making a "cold" decision based on cold technological concerns...
Perhaps we should instead request/ask whether or not they will support the widescreen gaming community instead. In this way...
Instead of turning down a technology we give them the "hard" opportunity to "turn down" a community of customers.
This would have to be sold beforehand: support us or not with the newest Blizzard release is to SHIT on us or not.
On the other hand with all the whining that goes on in every corner of the gaming world...
perhaps to get heard over all the immature qq-ing noise. We should be polite and mature about it.
( PLEASE, please do not shit on us again and support the widescreen gaming customer that loves Blizzard games. )

never hurts to say please.

Other than that, and with no Necromancer...
No Paladin..
No native multi-Monitor support.
The legacy and bad juju of starcraft banning representing community support.
Should a boycott knowing the worst possible outcome be all that hard?

Do we know for sure that there will be no native support ( again? )

If not maybe a petition backed by a recognized community is in order ( wsg ) <--

my monitors wrote: A bezel is nothing more than my eyeglass frames

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2011, 23:54 

My video settings in game were all set to high and make sure you choose full screen windowed mode.

I have 3 monitors hooked up in nvidia surround in 5760 x 1200 resolution.

Attached files

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 16:09 

Yeap, it works for me too. Just got into the beta yesterday. Set to full screen windowed mode, looks just like the images above.

Now, that said, there are still issues. In general if you are in confined spaces, it works flawlessly, but once you get out into a field, some of the chunks at the far edges of the screen just show up as empty polygons. This is probably due to streaming not handling the bigger view (this is probably what Blizzard means by not officially supporting it).

Also, all the monsters and NPCs do function on the sides.

I've been a programmer in the games industry for 11 years, and I can tell you one thing, you actually have to make an effort NOT to support Eyefinity. For most games, if the render is written correctly to generically handle any resolution, multi-monitor support "just works". Take Minecraft for example, I doubt any effort was made to make it support wide screen... but since it's a windowed renderer that's written to scale correctly with resolution, it "just works". That said, I'm referring to world rendering only. Most games where support is "broken" is when the UI is not written to correctly handle the resolutions (ie, Skyrim).

I'm assuming the Diablo 3 engine is probably some hybrid / offshoot of the WoW engine, which does work flawlessly. If Blizzard really wants to -prevent- this from working, they'd have to do some specific coding to do so.

I'm thrilled it works. Game looks great... And really the "blank polygons" in open areas is totally tolerable if they never fix that.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 20:39 
Insiders
Insiders

For the NPCs, items, lighting on the side monitors. It works to an extent. I posted some about it in the detailed report thread. It will render them about a third of the way through the side monitors before it doesn't render them at all. The animation updates happen less frequently, as well, so you'll see certain moving NPCs "sliding" across the ground before you see them walking. It doesn't really bother me since it's in your peripheral.

The game expanding horizontally isn't really something you have to intentionally set out to mess up. It's usually an unintentional result of setting up the camera projection.

As for the UI, it's not something they set out to intentionally do. Most developers set up UI elements to be bound to edges. And then the UI artists/designers will create an element and put the placement as "top-left" or "middle-center" and it will automatically place it there. This has always been the best way to do it in the past since you can have the UI elements position on the edges between 5:4, 4:3, 16:10, 16:9 and it will look good. Adding in support for UI centering is something they have to go out of their way to add, not prevent.

There's a couple ways they can do it. They can detect the desktop resolution, which in the case of Eyefinity and NVIDIA Surround will tell them it's one large display. They'll have to determine if the aspect-ratio is high enough to be multiple monitors, and then divide that between them, and center it from there. This requires a lot of extra work since new UI positioning will need to be created and determined by hand. This can be difficult because there's no easy way of telling if all three monitors are the same width and which monitor is where.

The other way is to use the AMD Eyefinity SDK or the NVIDIA Surround SDK. From here they can use the API calls to determine how many screens they are, what resolution each screen really is, and then place the UI elements accordingly.

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 13:32 
Insiders
Insiders

For the NPCs, items, lighting on the side monitors. It works to an extent. I posted some about it in the detailed report thread. It will render them about a third of the way through the side monitors before it doesn't render them at all. The animation updates happen less frequently, as well, so you'll see certain moving NPCs "sliding" across the ground before you see them walking. It doesn't really bother me since it's in your peripheral.

The game expanding horizontally isn't really something you have to intentionally set out to mess up. It's usually an unintentional result of setting up the camera projection.

As for the UI, it's not something they set out to intentionally do. Most developers set up UI elements to be bound to edges. And then the UI artists/designers will create an element and put the placement as "top-left" or "middle-center" and it will automatically place it there. This has always been the best way to do it in the past since you can have the UI elements position on the edges between 5:4, 4:3, 16:10, 16:9 and it will look good. Adding in support for UI centering is something they have to go out of their way to add, not prevent.

There's a couple ways they can do it. They can detect the desktop resolution, which in the case of Eyefinity and NVIDIA Surround will tell them it's one large display. They'll have to determine if the aspect-ratio is high enough to be multiple monitors, and then divide that between them, and center it from there. This requires a lot of extra work since new UI positioning will need to be created and determined by hand. This can be difficult because there's no easy way of telling if all three monitors are the same width and which monitor is where.

The other way is to use the AMD Eyefinity SDK or the NVIDIA Surround SDK. From here they can use the API calls to determine how many screens they are, what resolution each screen really is, and then place the UI elements accordingly.

Or they could do what DICE did in BF3 and just bound the UI to a transparent adjustable rectangle which is user adjustable in the Options. This seems to make the most sense and would seem to be the least amount of work. Doesn't work for your custom res?... move the bounding edges to suit any res.

Gigabyte P67-UD7 rev. B3
OS -Samsung 840pro 256GB ssd
Games -Samsung 840pro 500GB ssd
Pagefile -crucial 60GB ssd
Storage -2x 4TB WD
PWS -Seasonic Prime 1k Titanium

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next