Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 May 2024, 23:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2006, 12:30 

While gaming with the TH2G is absolutely great, working is a hazard to your eyesight.

All TFT-DVI users appreciate the stable and usually crystal clear picture when compared to CRT-Monitors, although you probably mourn the display quality of moving objects which appear more or less blurred on every TFT, no matter the cost.

However, when using the TH2G (analog) you get the worst of both worlds:
[list]flickering screens
color-noise in homogenous faces
unprecise drawing (a drawn line doesn't appears straight)[/list:u]

(picture taken from a new Viewsonic vx922)

The problems get worse the longer the box is in use, probably due to the fact that the TH2G gets pretty hot.

Those are accompanied by the usual shortcomings of TFT's, like motion blur and the like.

So, if you play with the thought of programming on three displays or writing while having your various reference books on display 2 and 3: Forget it.
Better stick to a graphics card with two DVI-out connectors and forfeit the third monitor.

If you're mainly gaming though, then the flickers are barely noticeably and don't by far annoy you as much as the fact, that your top-system is too slow for 3840x1024. :D

I'm going to get rid of that thing the moment a DVI version comes out.

FUS RO DAH!

Shaolin style

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2006, 18:21 

You can still connect your left and right monitors via DVI if you use monitors that have VGA and DVI inputs (and almost all LCDs do these days). Grab a cheap video card with DVI and set up the triple config in Windows. You could even arrange it so that the monitor still using VGA is not in the middle.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2006, 00:09 

yeah, but when the reason of the TH2G is using it for work it's kinda pointless to figure out how a way how not to use it :)

FUS RO DAH!

Shaolin style

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2006, 19:07 

If you need triple monitors for work then you shouldn't be buying a TripleHead2Go anyway. The reason is this:
You can already use 3 monitors in Windows, and you can already span applications across all 3. You can do this without a TripleHead2Go.

All you need to do this is 2 video cards, one dualhead and one singlehead. Then set them up so that Windows knows where they all are in relationship to each other. This gives you far more resolution choices (you can run 3 widescreens, for example, or 3 1600x1200 screens) and refresh rate choices (you can run 3 100Hz monitors, for example) than you get with the TripleHEad2Go. The immense gaming benefit you get with a TripleHead2Go is that all three monitros are seen as one screen by Windows. For gaming this is the only way to get a fullscreen 3D accelerated image on three displays. But for 2D productivity, this is the worst way to get the image on three dsiplays, because the desktop management is better with three separate monitors.

And unless you're gaming on your office machine, then you can save a lot of money, too. It costs $40 for a second video card to drive a third display, while the TripleHead2Go costs $300.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2006, 00:10 

True, but i bought the triplehead for gaming anyway.
And since I have it and am quite pleased with the new gaming experience, I just hoped to benefit from the 3 monitor setup while using the desktop, too.

However, it is absolutely impossible to work with the TH2G for any reasonable time without stressing your eyes to the point of crying.
If anyone ever suspected, that the analog signal is inferior, then I can acknowledge that. Emphatically.

I only stress that point because apparently no one else does: Signal Quality is CRAP.

It usually doesn't matter in games unless you see a texture pattern like that one:

If you do you're in ergonomic guantanamo, because the pattern will flicker like a CRT-display under neon-lights.

Btw. my setup doesn't have an analog output, so I have to use the adapter cable included in the TH2G box, but I have my doubts that this alone explains the unwanted stroboskopic effects.

FUS RO DAH!

Shaolin style