Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 03:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2006, 00:55 

Those who despaired because of the poor field of view can now relax a bit

Without camera mod:

With camera mod:

This should make the game more playable.

Simply install this mod: http://www.curse-gaming.com/en/wow/addons-2478-1-improvedcamera.html

Then open the settings menu and choose the Interface customization options.
Go to extended options and set the maximum viewing distance to the max (see picture).

Sadly it still doesn't give you the full zoom capabilities of the 4:3 standard resolution but it's better than nothing.

And no, I didn't make that mod this time.

Enjoy!

--- Edit from 10.14.06 ---
Kinda obsolete now but see http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/6657#comment-140304 for another workaround.

FUS RO DAH!

Shaolin style

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2006, 22:17 

The camera mod shows as "out of date", still I have loaded it. But changing the "Max camera distance" (I think this is it) does not change the FOV in my game. Maybe it hasn't loaded correctly?

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2006, 15:39 

the mod simply lets you zoom out farther than usual, provided the enviroment lets you.

FUS RO DAH!

Shaolin style

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2006, 18:09 

Since the latest patch efficiently eliminated the mod we need a a small workaround:

Open the file %path%World of WarcraftWTFConfig.wtf

Find the line
SET cameraDistanceMaxFactor "2"
an change it to
SET cameraDistanceMaxFactor "5".

Now you got your maximum possible zoom back.

FUS RO DAH!

Shaolin style

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2006, 14:15 

Many thanks Arotto, that worked. It's not the perfect solution as you say but it's nice to have the option to zoom out some more.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2006, 16:54 

the mod simply lets you zoom out farther than usual, provided the enviroment lets you.

So all it does is the same as the menu option called "max camera distance"?

My problem with WoW is that the widescreen modes cut parts of the picture vertically, in stead of expanding horizontally. This can not be fixed by zooming out, as you will see less at the top and bottom anyway (less ground/sky).

So what we need is a fix that makes the widescreen modes show more horizontally when using a widescreen resolution compared to 4:3.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2006, 14:08 

I'm asking again, because I would really like to know this.

Is there no fix for the real problem, which is that Blizzard cuts the image vertically, instead of expaning horizontally when using widescreen?

Zooming out is not a solution, as even if you zoom all the way out, you will still have less vertical image information than in 4:3. And your character will become very small too...

If this can't be fixed by a mod, someone should put pressure on Blizzard.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2006, 14:26 

There is no fix. I got used to it somehow, but it's really annoying and sometimes can cause your death or your group's wipe specially in caverns, dungeons, towers...

Another reason zooming out is not the solution, is that the camera will not zoom out if there is a wall, tree, house, whatever. So indoors, you can't zoom out, and outdoors, a sinlge branch of a tree can make you zoom in and out like crazy and it's annoying.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2006, 11:54 

Seriously now after I've been playing loooots of WoW in Widescreen I really dont understand what you are annoyed with. I didn't notice anything annoying at all when I started playing WoW with my new screen, only the beautiful and sharp colors with my lubly 205BW :D .

No problems in instances either! The FOV is perfect without changing anything, and to zoom out like you do is just scary, you want to see your char close. :s

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2006, 12:54 
Editors
Editors

This problem that they are talking about is not so bad when using a widescreen ... it is far more exaggerated when using three screens ... which is what they are talking about "Surround Gaming " ... :wink: