Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 19:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2007, 18:55 
Founder
Founder

Here is a discussion thread for the DTH2Go Review here.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2007, 20:57 

Nicely presented! If you do ever want a couple of extra videos, I have the ones I uploaded to GameTrailers. However, my camerawork can at best be described as amateur, and at worst, laughable. :lol:

Here is a link to my video album:
http://deathtyrant.gametrailers.com/gamepad/index.php?action=fanmovs

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2007, 21:49 
Founder
Founder

Cool. I'm looking to do a somewhat regular video podcast. May look at using these (with your permission) or getting some additional video or caps from you.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2007, 22:18 

Yeah, use of any of them is welcomed. Of course if someone like yourself or Paddy can set up a camera properly and get better footage of Crysis and the others, that's cool too.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007, 17:34 

Nice review! :D

One thing though, the Matrox graphics card you're referring to, is Parhelia, not Parnhelia... :wink:

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007, 18:41 
Founder
Founder

Thanks, fixed.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007, 18:56 

Thanks, fixed.

You still have one Parnhelia in the first paragraph... :lol:

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007, 19:37 
Founder
Founder

Not any more. :wink:

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2007, 20:20 

I've been waiting for WSGF to review this thing for a long time. I own a TH2Go analog, and I'm pretty dissatisfied with it because of image problems at 75 or 85 Hz. I run 3 22" CRTs, so thats important to me.

You touched on a lot of good points... but I cant help but feel the review is lacking. Please don't feel that I'm bashing your review (its well done!) but I'd like to provide some constructive criticism. For example:
I'm not sure if either of these resolutions exceeds the bandwidth in Dual-Link DVI. If not, maybe a firmware update might come our way one day, even for 3x1440x900.

It sounds like you didn't think it was worth the effort to research those things in order to provide an informed review for your audience. Further, you go into pure speculation. That sounds more like forum post material than something that belongs in a review. Perhaps it would be more appropriate to do a kind of 'open request to Matrox' by saying "We know DX10 is capable of higher resolutions, so why are you still limiting us to 3840x1024 Matrox?" Better than that would be to contact Matrox with these concerns and include their answer (or lack thereof) in the review.

Some other things I'd like to see answered:
- Monitor setups. A common question on the forums is 'Can I run my widescreen LCD with two 4:3 LCDs on the sides? It needs to be clearly spelled out that the monitors must be the same, and they must be able to display these resulotions. I'm thinking specific examples of common setups that will and will not work.
- Analag display? Not everyone has digital monitors, and not everyone runs LCDs at all. Hows the analog capabilities, is the image quality noticably different than digital? Does it work ok on CRTs at 75/85Hz?
- Usage in windows? The review touches on this briefly, but not much.
- What types of games work best? Other reviews out there have commented that triple head is not so great in RTS games, alright in RPGs and FPS games, and absolutely fantastic with flight sim and racing games. Matrox's new Surround Gaming Zone has specific sections for Flight Sim and Racing games... but your review doesnt even mention these categories.
- SGU support - A definate negative to the TH2Go that isn't really mentioned. I'm thinking of things like the common Id engine games that require a special hack to work right and dont have SGU support.

Maybe my expectations are too high, but its only because I think of this place as the best resource (heck, pretty much the ONLY resource) for triplehead goodness. :)

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2007, 06:58 

I am looking for the link to the firmware update for the Digital TripleHead2Go.

Mine defaults to the left monitor on single mode.

Thank you