Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 00:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2007, 05:29 

I have another question...my friend is attempting to setup his dual screen with a span mode in windows vista x64

is there anyway to do this...he does not want to use dual view....

we have played around with ultramon and some other applications...but we have no luck...

btw the vid card is a NVIDIA 8800 GTS

Thanks

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 21:27 

I have an 8800GTS and it does have the ability to do anything he wants when he plugs both monitors into the 8800. First thing he needs to do is get the newest nVidia driver...currently version 163.75 is the newest WHQL driver, but there's a BETA available on version 169.09 which was released last week.

1. Right click on the desktop and select Personalize (the bottom selection).
2. Click on Display Settings.

In the Display Settings dialog window he can click on each monitor and select the resolution for each one independently...he can also select which monitor he wants to be the main monitor and can extend the desktop onto that monitor...in otherwords span it across both monitors.

3. Click on Advanced Settings in the lower right.
4. Click on the GeForce 8800 GTS tab in the upper right.
5. Click on Start the NVIDIA Control Panel button.
6. Click on Set up multiple displays.

Here you can select the same options as in the Vista settings in perhaps an easier to understand format.

7. Click on Change resolution.

Here you can change the resolutions...again...the same things that are available in the Vista display settings, but perhaps with simpler controls.

Also, when I first plugged in two monitors into the 8800 I got a pop-up window asking me how I wanted the second monitor to display the desktop...options as I recall were "Copy", "Stretch", "Dual-Mode"...or something like that. In all of these "modes" he should be able to use both monitors...it's just the background that will be copied, stretched, or be blank. The only setting that really matters is the Extend selection in the Vista Display Settings.

What exactly is your friend trying to do?

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2007, 17:00 

(Im the friend)

I already have the newest drivers. Now I don't want dual monitor mode. I want to be able to Span my desktop on 2 screens. I have read from Nvidia that they don't support it in vista.

I was also told that you can do it in UltraMon but I failed to see the settings for it.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2007, 10:42 

By "span" do you mean make Windows and other software treat the two monitors as one large, high rez monitor?

Out of curiosity, why is that so important?

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2007, 03:44 

By "span" do you mean make Windows and other software treat the two monitors as one large, high rez monitor?

Out of curiosity, why is that so important?

yes that is what I want to do. The main reason is to be able to play games on both the screen. I know I can use Soft Triple Head but I just don't like the idea doing that for each game.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2007, 00:10 

wouldnt NVIEW fix ur problem then ??
should be part of nforce drivers
give it a try

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2007, 00:12 

NV says its impossible to do with the way Vista handles video drivers. You may be out of luck.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2007, 04:41 

NV says its impossible to do with the way Vista handles video drivers. You may be out of luck.

I have read that numbers of times so I was trying to find out if there was a way using a third party software. I gave up trying and just going to buy a third monitor and just get the matrox triplehead

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2007, 17:21 

good choice mate,
happy gamin on th2go :)