Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Jun 2024, 07:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2007, 23:55 

Hello, this is my first posting here, although I have been lurking here ever since I bought my first WS LCD some years ago.

First of all I would like to say CURSE YOU JKEEFE FOR THAT REVIEW ON SIMHQ !!!

There, I sort of feel better now, although the seeds have been planted and now there is no turning back.

Let me explain why this is now a classic Greek tragedy for me. First of all, about 14 months ago I was very dissatisfied with the performance of Oblivion and used that excu... errr reason to build a new system around a pair of ATI X1900XTs in Crossfire. Second thing: this summer my old Samsung CRT on my work computer (I'm a teleworker) died, so I moved my Dell widescreen from my gaming machine to my work machine and then of course I had to buy a new LCD for the gaming machine and bought a 22" Samsung 226CW.

You can now see the horror of my dilemma : if I were so submit to my baser instincts and go for a TH2G setup, I would have to replace both a powerful system that is not even 2 years old and a beautiful screen that I have had for not even 6 months !

How could I ever justify this to my family ? To my friends ?? They still haven't recovered fully from the previous trauma, when I bought an aftermarket racing seat at Canadian Tire for my flight simulators.

What am I to do ? Can anybody lend me $3000 ? Is it possible to burn out the specific cells in my brain where the notion of the TH2G is recorded ? I don't even have a firstborn to sell or offer in sacrifice (not even a car to sell, actually) ! I am lost ! Lost !!

FrenchToast

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2007, 00:30 
Editors
Editors

:welcome

Although it would look verrryyyy thin on your 22", why not try Faux TH2Go to cure the itch for a while! ;)

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2007, 03:30 

Yeah you kind of need to do it in a one-two punch, unless you're good at saving.

It's definately a Catch 22. If you get a new rig first by the time you are able to get the displays your system will be weak.

Why not just commit your self to saving for the next 6-9 months to do it in a single shot? That'd be the reasonable thing to do.

There's always the typical american route of putting everything on your credit cards :P.

What's your setup now? Sounds like you have a PCIe slot available. Most games are GPU limited. Why not just get an 8800GT and the TH2G. Current games are marketed towards systems like yours and play well on them. I think you'll be surprised by how true this is.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2007, 05:00 

eZ', thanks :)

(however the faux TH2Go is probably too little too late, the damage is already done...)

Tucson :

, unless you're good at saving.

Gosh no, not at all...

There's always the typical american route of putting everything on your credit cards .

Indeed, an elegant solution that worked well for me in the past. :P

Why not just get an 8800GT and the TH2G.

Well, I don't think an nVidia card is going to work on my Crossfire motherboard? [unless it's only the SLI part that wouldn't work on it?!?]

FT

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2007, 07:38 

An Nvidia card will work fine on your motherboard. The only thing that wouldn't work would be SLI, which requires an SLI enabled chipset to use it.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2007, 12:47 

Hey I like this guy. Can we keep him?

Welcome to my world of pain, posting on forums and feeling very much alone and in the dark compared to these boys who have TH2G.

:WWTH2Go

Thing is I am waiting for TH2G to support 4:3|16:10|4:3 then I will jump in.

Anyway, :welcome

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2007, 15:23 

First of all I would like to say CURSE YOU JKEEFE FOR THAT REVIEW ON SIMHQ !!!
Who, me? :shock:

:)

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2007, 22:16 

Yeah, you. :D

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2007, 22:30 

Well I just discovered that Samsung makes a 19" version (931C) of my 22", with the exact same specs and even the same bezel. Furthermore, my usual provider of computer parts, NCIX, has this specific model on sale right now.............

Of course, to add to the agonizing sense of pressure, the sale ends TOMORROW.

Is there some Higher Power sending me a subtle message here ?

FT