Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 12 Sep 2024, 13:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2008, 22:38 

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of or had a workaround for the 4096 pixel limitation in remote desktop. I use my desktop to RDP into my work laptop, and since my desktop width is 5040 i get nice big black bars on either side of my remote desktop session. Any help would be appreciated!

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2008, 23:42 

isn't that the directx 9 limitation?

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2008, 07:30 
Insiders
Insiders

isn't that the directx 9 limitation?

No... 4096 has always been a hardware limitation, not software.

Bringing remote desktop into the equation makes matters more complex though. Does the remote GPU do the graphic work in remote desktop then send it? I don't know the mechanics of remote desktop enough to answer that. If so, is the GPU in the laptop capable of 4096+?

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2008, 11:38 

I think RDP uses a virtual video card of sort, or at leat a different driver then the one you usually use, so it's probably a hard-coded limit on it.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2008, 10:50 

ya, I'm not going to get my hopes up too high, but you never know what might crop up if you ask the question. I guess I could always go with VNC, but I find the performance of RDP is so much better.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2008, 11:22 

I've yet to find better then RDP. I've looked into remote desktops in an attempt to get one that I could use to remote from my laptop to my gaming rig so I could game on the couch of sorts.

I can't stand any of the VNC versions, the image is just plain crap and the performance doesn't even reflect it.

So far my best solution would be some kind of wireless video transmitter on the desktop / receiver on the laptop and use something like synergy for the controls. Not sure such a thing even exists though.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2008, 00:17 

Perhaps not a solution to the resolution limit of RDP but if you really need the real-estate you could use RDP with a fixed res (say 1680x1050) and combine it with one of those virtual desktop programs, that let you duplicate the desktop area to split up applications. I can't recall the names but I know freeware exists for those types of programs. No idea if they work with RDP though.