Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 17:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2008, 07:50 

Hello All,

Just got my TH2Go DE and I have been enjoying a weekend of re-discovering some of my games. I have made a fresh install of GP4, then I patched it to 9.6, added the no-cd file, then installed the GPx patch. I then ran the SGU utility and it stated it optimizes GP4. I click on the new icon and the game launches the main menu(shortcut points to "Autorun.exe") and I click "play" it kept giving me the dx 8.1 msg (it would not stop this msg using the no-cd exe until I changed the GP4 Surround shortcut to point to the no-cd GP4.exe file) I checked the f1graphics.cfg file and it has these values set it in it.

1=1 ; f1graphics.cfg controls all settings(default 0)
2=3840 ; [RELEASE] Game 3D Horizontal Resolution
3=1024 ; [RELEASE] Game 3D Vertical Resolution
9=1 ; [RELEASE] Vsync (0=>off, or every nth frame) v2

So that looks correct.

However. when I run the game, it runs only on the left monitor. The graphics option does not list the th2go res, only standard 4:3 res's, up to 1600x1200. I set the game res to 1280x1024 and then it plays only still on the left panel. If I exit the game and come back, the res is always reset to 640x480 :cry: .

Anyone know what is up and how to get this game to actually run in th2go?

I have searched with little luck, hoping some vet might offer up a fix. Oh and I am using this with a GeForce 6800GT if that matters.

Thanks for your time

Torso

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2008, 00:23 

Hmmn,I remeber GP 4 being flakey, I assume you searched these forums for Grand Prix 4.
Is this not similar ? http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122345&highlight=grand+prix#122345

Personnally i would probably uninstall and start again from scratch.

If you like your retro, try Grand Prix Legends, better than GP 4 imho.

rFactor also runs on the th2go, even has multi viewport option.
Not too high on sys requirements either.

All the Simbin titles work too afaik.

Deck .

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2008, 01:23 

Hey Deckard,

Thanks for responding. Yes, I based my install procedure on that forum post. I just have not had the success as the other guy did. I have gone through the steps around 4 times now and all turn out the same.

Since installing it Sat, I can run all the following with the Th2go successfully.

GTR 2
GPL:I worked at Sierra in 97-98 when Papy was sending us betas to try out, been a fan of the game since before it was released ;).
Oblivion
CS:Source
NR2003
IL-2
GT Legends
Doom 3 (though still having issues getting aspect ratios fix to work, but only tried once)
HL2

So doing pretty good initially, but was hoping to fig out why I am failing with GP4. I plan on giving rFactor a go in the near future, thanks for the suggestion though.

Any other thoughts are welcome.

Torso

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2008, 20:22 

I seem to remember having problems when I was using the analog th2go, not sure its the same problem tho.
I think I changed video drivers from manufacturers to reference or the other way round. Or maybe it was a newer/older driver, I really cant remember.
I play counterstrike source too, tho playing more COD 4 atm, but usually up for a game if asked.
Our CSS server is 217.163.24.115:27015 and my xfire username is nexus6. The clans very quiet at the moment tho, so best to give me a shout if you want to own humans instead of a bot.
DOD:S also plays well in th2go but alas i'm only playing COD4 in single screen.
Check out the cWg forums for details of our DOD and COD servers and a post imade for GPL with a vid of under the driving section.
http://www.cowswithguns.co.uk
Best of luck with GP4 .

Deck

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2008, 15:35 

I run GP4 with analog TH2Go no problems at all. I've even tweaked the field of view and hacked the fonts used in the games menus so that the mouse works correctly. If you don't know what I mean by that you soon will when you get it running.

To be honest it's been a very very long time since I got it running on TH2Go so will have to cast my mind back to remember how I got it work. I play it very frequently though. One thing's for sure, leave your game configured for 640x480 and just change the cfg file. PM me and I'll do what ever I can to help get you up and runing with it. I could send you my f1graphics.cfg file if you like.

A screenie:

By the way, there's a wealth of information on GP4 here: http://www.grandprixgames.org/list.php?4.

These forums are highly active to this very day with a massive membership.

Regards,

Mr Pibb

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2008, 16:56 

The reason I bought TH2go is this game!

I hope you get it working. I have it working at 5040x1050 and I also use Gp4tweaker (for the in car padlock view).

I second the advice about only altering the F1config file, not actually the ingame resolution.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2008, 17:07 

The reason I bought TH2go is this game!

I hope you get it working. I have it working at 5040x1050 and I also use Gp4tweaker (for the in car padlock view).

I second the advice about only altering the F1config file, not actually the ingame resolution.

Hey Khula, what's the "in car padlock view"?

How have you got around the problem with the fonts in the game menus?

Regards,

Mr Pibb

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2008, 21:12 

Hey there! The padlock view is similar to what is used in a flight sim whereby when you turn the steering wheel, you view is focused on the corner you are turning into and you 'bring the car round' when you steer to match where you are looking. It is truly awesome and I think truly unique in a racing sim...

You enable this mode by using the GP4Tweaker program (v1.45 i think). This also gives you the option to run qualifying pre 2006 (One at a time, consecutively) if you like, and drive through penalties. This program coupled with GPxpatch turns this game in my opinion into the best F1 sim out there.

As for the font issue, I never conquered it. I think if you play the game unpatched the menus all centre on the middle screen. However, you can't use any utilities such as mentioned above unless you patch the game. This then stretches the menus onto three screens and is a bit of a mess (but still navigable).

If you've any suggestions for the fonts I'd love to hear them. I still play this game every week with a mate of mine (hotseat mode) 100% race distance, ace level. It is truly a classic.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2008, 23:49 

Hi khula.

I use GP4Tweaker, GPxPatch etc etc and I concur that it's a top F1 sim. No doubt about it. In my opinion its "gameplay" is second to none.

As for the menus: I don't get them stretched across 3 screens, they stay on the middle screen. When I first used the TH2Go the text height in the menus used to be exagerated to the point where when two lines were one above another they actually overlapped. This was particularly noticable in the track selection menu - to the point where it was virtually unreadable. Also, in order to select a menu item, the mouse pointer didn't point directly to the text I wanted to select, I had to select slightly below it. This made it tricky to select things in the menus.

A screenie of what I mean:

Before:

After:

As you can see I've overcome this problem to some degree (by modifying the fonts via photoshop) but it's still not perfect.

You don't get this problem?

Regards,

Mr Pibb.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2008, 17:55 

Yup, I get this problem. You've done a good job with the fonts though! I just rely on a cack-handed click click click approach... Wish there was a proper way around it though.