Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 17:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2008, 16:23 

Hi guys,

Power Desk no longer loads automatically for me in Win XP Pro.

I have followed all (limited) instructions on Matrox's website. even pulled the driver and powerdesk thru "Revo uninstaller" which runs the original uninstall program, then allows me to quickly pull leftover registry entries and files.

Clean booted afterwards and verified no issues, then re-installed powerdesk (on a side note, what would happen if I install the powerdesk for the digital on the system having only the analog?)

Nothing, even if I move the shortcut to the start up folder, the necessary entries are in the registry, and if I click the entry in startup, or the program menu item, it starts up right away.

Pain in the butt, both that it is something I havent yet been able to solve, and I'm still ticked that Matrox pulled it's forums long ago, worst thing they could have done.

Thank in advance.

Marc

Post subject: PowerDesk SE not loading
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2008, 17:50 

I have owned both the Analogue and Digital versions of the Matrox TripleHead and have had this problem occur on both versions... With the digital version I used a different USB slot to power the unit and it somehow rectified itself and PowerDesk started loading correctly... with the analogue version I remember I had to fiddle with the VGA connector at the back by restarting the computer removing the cable to the triplehead box then restarting again adding the cable then restarting again somehow it was a fiddly problem but it was to do with the graphics card reading the triple head box... I am in agreement as to a really bad decision that Matrox removed their forums.....

Hamish

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2008, 19:47 

I had that problem the entire time I had my analog TH2G, and now that I have the digital I still have an issue - after rebooting, if I maximize a window right away it goes fullscreen across all three monitors. I have to rightclick on the powerdesk-se systray icon and choose Desktop management, then close it, then it works correctly until I reboot again.

With the analog version I had to manually start the powerdesk app - if I started it any other way during boot, in startup, etc. it would not load all the way. That included starting it with a delayer (can't remember the name anymore) that let me specify how long the system should wait before starting the program after boot.

And I agree 100% - Matrox should NEVER have gotten rid of their forums. It was a great resource and one I visited very regularly.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2008, 21:30 

Hey thanks guys, I was sure that I was not the only one having the issue :)

I'll try re-seating the connectors for VGA and see what I get. Restarts and all. It's not the worst thing if I have to start it manually all the time, just a pain.

In meantime my wife has allocated me (This is a marriage term for "Yes, you may spend this) up to $2500 for a new system!

I plan on replacing the analog TH2G with the digital, although I'll need a few DVI/VGA connectors for my monitors, but looking forward to getting rid of a power transformer and having bezel management, in addition to what I will build hehe ....

It's going to be somewhat fun, a new MB, processor, video and ram, plus a few goodies ...

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2008, 22:11 

Don't bank on the digital solving all your problems...the bezel management is currently borked and I have the same desktop divider problem...

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2008, 22:37 

Don't bank on the digital solving all your problems...the bezel management is currently borked and I have the same desktop divider problem...

As I said, me too. MATROX, ARE YOU LISTENING?

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2008, 22:41 

Sorry to hear it.

I wasn't implying that I thought going to the digital would solve anything I have going on right now. Just something I wanted to add, plus if I ever get newer/larger LCD's, they likely wouldn' be analog for imput, etc.

How is the BM borked for ya?

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2008, 23:04 

How is the BM borked for ya?

Like this.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2008, 02:35 

I have the same problem now that I have installed the latest patch to Powerdesk exe.

If I shut down Powerdesk manually and then restart it manually, maximizing a window goes across all 3 displays. The only way to resolve is a system (PC) reboot.

RE: "I have to rightclick on the powerdesk-se systray icon and choose Desktop management, then close it, then it works correctly until I reboot again"-That doesn't work for me anymore since patch. Wierdly a reboot is the only thing that works for me.

I notice in the Task Manager, since the patch, when you have Powerdesk running (from intial PC boot up) there are (4) Matrox processes running. When you shut down Powerdesk manually and restart it, there are only the same old (2) process left running instead of (4).

As far as I can see, this is a problem with the latest patch (albeit probably an old patch but I only installed it recently, regrettably).

The only solution I have found is a PC reboot and don't shut down Powerdesk or you're screwed again.

(anyone have an answer on my reopened BF2 thread, please?)