Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 18:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 15:07 

So I finally got my TH2GO unboxed and working. The amount of time between purchase and use is disgustingly sinful, but I digress.

For kicks, I fired up the stereoscopic 3d drivers using anaglyph (red/cyan) glasses. I bought 2 pair of glasses. One with some slight sort of correction built-in, one without. I can't really tell which is which :)

Anyway, I tried Fallout 3 with it. It works. But I had insane amounts of ghosting on screen. Would I benefit from adjusting the color to reduce this? Am I right in assuming that most of the ghosting is due to the red (or cyan) being produced by the monitor doesn't match the glasses? Even if it doesn't eliminate ghosting, it should improve it, right?

I ask because I'm wondering if it's a brain-processing issue or if it's a monitor color issue.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 15:56 

to answer this question, one has to understand how the whole thing works before

the fact is that there's 2 images for 1 real
1 image is colored in such a way as to be percieved by the left eye
1 image is colored in sych a way as to be percieved by the right eye

the combination of the two in your brain produce a kind of full 3D image

however the images are in succession which means that from the 60Hz we come down to 30Hz per eye and slower refresh rates obviously means more ghosting.

you probably need a 120Hz screen like samsung 2233rz which according to digitalversus website is the absolute best screen with no ghosting at all@ 120Hz of course with Anaglyph 3D you'll come down to 60Hz ;)

edit: this is how I understand it anyway.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 16:38 

I'm not so sure about that. I'm thinking that the anaglyph renders a single image with the red and cyan channels offset by a factor of distance. Shutter glasses definitely render left/right information every other frame.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2009, 02:55 
I Donated
I Donated

@whismerhill: No, you are confusing things. Anaglyph works by combining 2 different images (right and left view) into one single image by way of mixing the color channels. It has nothing to do with alternating the images, which is known as "active stereo" like with the Nvidia 3D Vision. So anaglyph does not require high refresh rates or any special type of monitor.

@JerseyFrank: You are always going to have ghosting with anaglyph technology. It is just a limitation of the method. Depending on your monitor or the type of glasses you have the ghosting (or cross-talk, rather) can be more or less. I have had good success with the ProView anaglyph 3D glasses on my standard 22" TN-panel LCD. I have also used the same glasses on a 32" Samsung LCD and they worked alright. If you need to adjust the anaglyph colors I believe you can do that on the IZ3D drivers and also on the Nvidia drivers (but you have to manually hack the registry). If you are using standard red/cyan glasses you should not have to do this as the defaults are already calibrated for red/cyan.

Please try the COD4 demo and let me know your ghosting experience. I have had very good luck using anaglyph glasses on COD4 with the IZ3D drivers and that should be a good test to let you know if you system is working.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009, 00:43 

Actually no, ghosting is not unavoidable with anaglyph 3D. I have seen images that look stunning in 3D with anaglyph, 100% no ghosting. But here's the problem:

With LCDs and with all the colour temperature, gamma, brightness, contrast, tint and saturation settings not every LCD will be equal. Anaglyph is extremely sensitive to off-set colours, actually it's completely intolerant. There is a reason why the COLORVISION Spyder exists. LCDs are very finicky with colour reproduction, so the default settings that come with NVidia's drivers or the iZ3D drivers may look great on one screen but not another.

So just try to manually fine tune the colours either on your LCD or your video cards settings to get a good image match, but remember that with anaglyph you have to sacrifice overall image colour to get the 3D.

Another good thing to remember (that I've noticed through experience) is that with anaglyph the image looks best if nothing comes "out" of the screen. Ghosting I find usually happens with images try to force the illusion of coming past the screen, so if you can set it so that the screen is the closest that images or objects can appear.

Here is an example of an almost perfect anaglyph image:
http://www.equalizergraphics.com/images/anaglyph.png
Which actually reminds me to say that the result can sometimes be just a result in how well the anaglyph was created, not just how well your monitor shows it.

Here are a couple of other decent examples:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3071/2568989705_3cd4d569ce.jpg?v=0
http://abdownload.free.fr/Anaglyphs/18/18665_Ellenville_4th_X_anaglyph_b.jpg
http://atomontage.com/sshots/atomontage_tribush_2_anaglyph.jpg
here's an example of a good anaglyph, but the depth is too deep, should be much shallower:
http://members.multiweb.nl/emil/anaglyph.jpg

and here's one that just makes me want to puke:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/VisHumanCT-Anaglyph-2.png

anyways, I really hope all that helps.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2016, 23:49 

Ghosting means that the monitor and glasses are not matching in their frequencies. First thing to try is to get a different brand of glasses. If there is still a small leakage on one side then it could be corrected without loosing brightness.

In my case, blue was leaking to the red side.
I bought magenta/green paper glasses. Cut the magenta side and glued it over the red side of my red/cyan glasses. No more blue ghosting. Perfect colors. Overlaying magenta and red shifted the frequency and it's perfectly matching the monitor.

Your exact solution depends what side is leaking. If both sides are leaking then time to try different glasses. If a little leakage on one side then you can use an overlay of different shade to shift the frequency.

I don't suggest double wearing the same type of glass to reduce ghosting because it reduces brightness too much.

Here is a test image to diagnose your color bleeding problem: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/disc ... bration/p1