Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 23 Jun 2024, 20:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2010, 00:31 
Editors
Editors

Just Cause 2 would be interesting... :)

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2010, 00:58 
Insiders
Insiders

I'd personally like to see:

Crysis - Very High No AA
I usually just run MSI Afterburner with logging and record a min/max framerate from the beginning of the game until you reach the cliff overlooking the cam with the jammer you need to destroy, I had problems getting the 3rd party benchmarks working properly. I'm curious Paradigm, what did you do for your Crysis benchmarks in the 460 1GB vs 2GB review? I didn't see it mentioned in the review, but I may have overlooked it..

Just Cause 2 - Maximum except shadows on medium, SSAO off, Vsync off, GPU water off, no AA
Would like to see concrete jungle and dark tower benchmarks.

I want to compare 2x 295s to 1x 295, but if two 295s is completely unplayable for you, I don't know really know if your results are going to be a big surprise. Either way, I'm curious to see how other 295s are stacking up to mine performance-wise anyway, since I'm stuck with these things for the time being.. :roll:

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2010, 11:52 
Insiders
Insiders

Unfortunately I don't own Just Cause.

I did some installing last night and I've got Mafia II, Stalker: Call of Pripyat, Crysis v1.21, BF: Bad Company 2, Amnesia, Bioshock, and CS: Source ready to play.

Afterburner eh? I have been using Fraps and its logging but I'll give Afterburner a try.

My brother still has his 295 so I could do further testing in all these mentioned titles using mine and his together (quad sli) and any drivers you'd like.

My 570s get here Friday though so that will suck :lol:

Let me know how to proceed.

In the mean time I'll run Crysis from start to the cliff side overlooking the radio array using AB to log.

EDIT:

Ok this morning I had some time so I fired up Crysis (single gtx295 w/H2OC clocks)

Native game support 5903x1200 bezel corrected
No AA, all settings on Very High -Abysmal performance... entire intro was like 2-3fps and the same once on the ground.
Saved on the beach. Changed settings to all High, loaded up the game on the beach, and if you stand still, 15-18fps, but moving around and looking, 2-5fps.

From here I changed Shaders to Medium and turned Motion Blur OFF (cause I hate motion blur anyway) and turning motion blur off changed the "Post Processing" setting to "Custom"

So all HIGH, Shaders Medium, Post Processing Custom, Motion Blur Off and the fps never dip below 28. Usually @32-34 fps. Still not what I'd call playable but I'm sure with some shadow tweaking or something else it would bring it up to 50-60.

Got to get to work!

Gigabyte P67-UD7 rev. B3
OS -Samsung 840pro 256GB ssd
Games -Samsung 840pro 500GB ssd
Pagefile -crucial 60GB ssd
Storage -2x 4TB WD
PWS -Seasonic Prime 1k Titanium

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2010, 14:22 
Editors
Editors

Well, it's better than Crysis would do for me - if I turned on Very High at 6064x1200, it would load then lurch around terribly, then hard crash on the 1GB GTX460 cards. On the 2GB cards it wouldn't crash, but still lurched terribly. High was playable, though.

JC2 was a fiver yesterday on Steam - not sure if it is now or not. Regardless, if you've not got it, no worries. ;)

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2010, 22:51 
Insiders
Insiders

Yeah I could pick it up but it didn't look to terribly exciting as a game.. looked fairly linear.

In any case, I would think 2x gtx460s even in the 1GB variety would run it fine at least at similar image levels considering the 295 has less VRAM per GPU.... makes no sense. Then when you take in to account that a 460 gpu is probably 1.5x more powerful (or more) than a gtx285 or 275, whichever is on this card, it really doesn't add up.

Gigabyte P67-UD7 rev. B3
OS -Samsung 840pro 256GB ssd
Games -Samsung 840pro 500GB ssd
Pagefile -crucial 60GB ssd
Storage -2x 4TB WD
PWS -Seasonic Prime 1k Titanium

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 11:23 
Insiders
Insiders

Well... Just Cause 2 is many things, but linear is not one of them.. The story is awful (in my opinion) but the game play can provide many hours of entertainment, once you get past the first mission, it's completely open world. And it's a big world. Real big.. Very pretty game too.

I started up Crysis (Warhead) and set everything to "Enthusiast" at 6060x1080, with no AA, and I got a minimum of well, 0 FPS, and a maximum of 27 FPS and an average of 12 FPS, with fairly frequent hangs. Dropping shaders down to gamer and leaving everything else at Enthusiast brings it closer to the realm of playability and eliminates the hangs for the most part, giving me a max of 33 FPS and an average of 19 FPS.

However, Crysis at "Very High" with no AA resulted in a slideshow, it was more like seconds per frame, rather than frames per second... and it didn't stop being a slideshow until I dropped setting to a mix of medium/high.

Neither game has any Nvidia profiles set, both running the 32-bit executable, patched to the latest versions, running the 260.99 drivers currently.. Do you guys notice such differences in performance between the two games?

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 14:12 
Editors
Editors

Yeah I could pick it up but it didn't look to terribly exciting as a game.. looked fairly linear.

Just Cause 2 is anything but linear - you can level many negatives at the game, but linearity isn't one of them! ;) In all honesty, it's one of the more enjoyable games I've played this year.

Fuzion - yeah, Warhead is a lot better optimised than the original Crysis. Warhead is more or less playable on 2GB 460s in Surround on Enthusiast (and pushes VRAM into the 1850-1900MB range) but Crysis hits 2040MB of VRAM and keeps wanting more - it's obvious in Surround that Crysis is just so VRAM hungry that even the 'over VRAM'd' cards don't really have enough.

Come on nVidia! Release 3GB GTX580s already!