Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 13:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 22:30 
Editors
Editors

[quote]So can we save ourselves alot of typing and just call it nfinity? :lol:

how 'bout nVinity ? :?
How about 3DVS? An easy enough acronym, without making it a potentially confusing name. ;)

Mach - yeah, I get behind that last paragraph of Kyle's 100%. If nVidia pull any funny tricks with Surround like they have with PhysX...

I get the funny feeling that 3DVS is going to be a far more expensive proposition than EyeFinity... three 120Hz monitors, two GF100's... a new case (if an article Tamlin linked to is accurate and GF100 needs special cooling setups... possible a new PSU if the power draw is as high as rumoured... and a reoccurring present of enormous electricity bills...

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 22:40 

I get the funny feeling that 3DVS is going to be a far more expensive proposition than EyeFinity... three 120Hz monitors, two GF100's... a new case (if an article Tamlin linked to is accurate and GF100 needs special cooling setups... possible a new PSU if the power draw is as high as rumoured... and a reoccurring present of enormous electricity bills...

Not to mention having to wear goofy looking glasses. :lol:

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 02:41 

The Surround setup requires two Nvidia cards in SLI; The demo on the show floor was running two "Next Generation" GF100 GPUs.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-3D-Surround,9394.html

The booth in the grand lobby is running on dual GTX285s and three Acer projectors. The projectors are 720p using CRT connectors.

The booth in the grand lobby is running on dual GTX285s and three Acer projectors. The projectors are 720p using CRT connectors.

The three projector display in the booth are running on dual GF100s. The DepthQ projectors are 720p and use CRT too.

The other demo we have is 3D Vision Surround running on three 1920x1080 LCD displays from Acer and Alienware using 3 dual link dvi connectors. This one is using dual GTX 285s.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/01/08/nvidia_3d_surround_multidisplay_gaming_editorial/

there is no DP on the card itself looks like, if it can run off of 2 x gtx285, then thats 4 x dvi, and no dp.

------------

Also, im not giving up my 5870 until see that nvidias stuff is working, speculation sometimes leads to unhappiness, if you don't have a multimonitor setup right now, then you might have nothing to lose. If you have a multimonitor setup, I guess you could sell the 5870 or 5970 and then buy it again after the hype is gone; if indeed it is not as good as it is hyped up to be.

EDIT: I see that this has already been discussed through multiple posts on the forum already, reading works wonders

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 05:56 

[quote][quote]So can we save ourselves alot of typing and just call it nfinity? :lol:

how 'bout nVinity ? :?
How about 3DVS? An easy enough acronym, without making it a potentially confusing name. ;)

Mach - yeah, I get behind that last paragraph of Kyle's 100%. If nVidia pull any funny tricks with Surround like they have with PhysX...

It would not be more expensive I guess if one is doing this just for the 3D but if one wanted to just do Surround gaming then I think Nvidia would still be cheaper route. Cards would be cheaper because this can be done on 200 series cards, and monitors would be cheaper as well. Most people already have one monitor and many people have dual monitors so....All depends on what you want to do and what performs better in the end. As of now we have no real idea of how this will perform from Nviida so time will tell.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 08:03 

what is the eta for this tech? anyone know?

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 12:52 
Editors
Editors

Sorry, 200 series cards are still more expensive than 5800 series cards in the UK, and they're not as good (lacking DX11, using more power at idle and load) however if they do drop in price, I'll agree that it could compete. It needs to be considered that EyeFinity will run off a single card - 3DVS needs SLI, so double the cost of cards, further increased power draw etc.

The idea of being able to use just DVI monitors though is very appealing. :)

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 12:54 
Editors
Editors

what is the eta for this tech? anyone know?

Presumably the launch of Fermi/GF100/whatever they call it in the marketing department. It is possible that they'd release the driver to allow 3DVS for GT200 cards before, but I think they'd probably hold back to have it part of the GF100 launch.

So, "some time" in nVidia's fiscal Q1 2010 (which actually runs February to April, rather than the calendar Q1 of January to March...)

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 16:20 

Sorry, 200 series cards are still more expensive than 5800 series cards in the UK, and they're not as good (lacking DX11, using more power at idle and load) however if they do drop in price, I'll agree that it could compete. It needs to be considered that EyeFinity will run off a single card - 3DVS needs SLI, so double the cost of cards, further increased power draw etc.

The idea of being able to use just DVI monitors though is very appealing. :)

It's good news for those who already have one or two 200 series card. I agree that it's not an attractive solution performance and price wise for a new setup.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 16:34 
Insiders
Insiders

3DVS

Yea, an acronym for it. 3D Vision Surround is a crappy name imho. What is up with that name anyways? I can tell nVidia marketing hasn't touched that name yet, because it would have been something easier to use. Maybe they're too busy branding entry level G92's as 300-series to bother with a cool surround capability name. :nudgenudge

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 23:10 
Editors
Editors

It's good news for those who already have one or two 200 series card. I agree that it's not an attractive solution performance and price wise for a new setup.

Yeah. I picked up a 4870X2 when they were going for £230, as that was a killer deal. >GTX285 performance for upwards of £100 less. I wouldn't really feel like a technological step backwards if I upgraded (and they're still very pricy...) so wouldn't want to go the GT200 route for 3DVS, which would make it an expensive option. About the only place I could save money would be on the screens, but that would be more than made up for on the necessity of two GPUs and whatever else was needed for them.

But for those already loaded with GT200 SLI, the backwards compatibility is an awesome draw. :D

Yea, an acronym for it. 3D Vision Surround is a crappy name imho. What is up with that name anyways? I can tell nVidia marketing hasn't touched that name yet, because it would have been something easier to use. Maybe they're too busy branding entry level G92's as 300-series to bother with a cool surround capability name. :nudgenudge

Well, what new stuff (other than cards) have nVidia come out with in recent years? I can't really think of anything other than '3D Vision'... which again while descriptive isn't exactly something that 'flows off the tongue' the way "EyeFinity" does. You can level the same at "TripleHead2Go"... it's descriptive, and 'modern' in the 'need to insert numbers in place of words' way, but doesn't grab you and shout "PAY ATTENTION!" PhysX was descriptive and stood out, as a play on words... but nVidia didn't come up with it. Ageia did.

Ultimately, while the name is a little uninspired, and don't have the 'one word snap' of EyeFinity, they could call it a host of unimaginative stuff and as long as it still did as advertised, I'd not be complaining. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next