Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 23 Jun 2024, 20:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2010, 21:14 

Hi All!

I've been researching Nvidia's 3D gaming on the web when I came across a youtube of someone's triple screen setup that they credited to information from your site. I have done multiple searches here for 275 gtx and geforce 275 but couldn't find a post that covers my question.

Before I get right into triple screen 3D I wanted to get started with a single monitor with 3D. I'd like to hold of upgrading my video card until later.

My question:

My current card is a EVGA Geforce 275 GTX and while Nvidia's site says that it will support 3D (single monitor) other information says that it wont so I'm trying to figure out if I need to upgrade my card as well as my monitor & glasses or just my monitor with a pair of glasses.

So has anyone been able to do 3D with a GTX 275 on a single monitor?

Thanks!

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2010, 11:46 
Editors
Editors

I've seen 3D working with 200 series cards, so I don't see any reason why a 275 shouldn't work. You still need a 120Hz monitor, and the nVidia glasses, etc...

And it'll probably run fairly poorly, as 3D seems to have a pretty big impact on framerates.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2010, 17:20 

Thank you Paradigm for the feedback!

To clarify further, my goal is just to play WoW in 3D, which I would think should be easier to do then the modern First person shooters. I could be wrong though.

Here are the rest of my PC's spec's:
AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.01 GHz
8GB RAM
64 bit Windows 7

Since I originally submitted this post I came across some vague statements on the web referring to pairing a modern 400 series card with a 275 for Physix or something like that. What is that about? It's not SLI right since they aren't the same?

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2010, 19:48 
Editors
Editors

Exactly, this is not SLI; just two cards working together, one for rendering, the other for PhysX acceleration. This is useless as far as WoW is concerned, though... No PhysX in this game.
Here's a list of PhysX games that support hardware acceleration through a dedicated GeForce: http://physxinfo.com/?f=gpu#games

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 20:00 

275 should be fine, but as mentioned, if you're going to use it with a 1920x1080 monitor, performance won't be great in most newer games. I've got no idea how tough WoW is on vid cards. You may be fine.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2010, 18:13 

I rans WOW in 3D on a single GTX 260 for a while.
It works fine, you'll end up turning down the graphics settings to get decent performance. The newer area are harder on GPU's.

There are a number of known issues with WOW and 3D, the sky is rendered at incorrect depth and water at any setting above fair causes double images. But IMO overall WOW is one of the better 3d vision games.