Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 01:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011, 11:49 

I just discovered that you can use Matrox PowerDesk software on Nvidia Surround to setup virtual monitors, it's similar to Hydragrid on Eyefinity setups but seems to work better.
Finally I can leave my system in surround view 6040x1080 with 4way SLI and use the monitors as 3 individual monitors for applications and maximise/snap to a single monitor!

Also allows to set default open monitor! I've been searching for something like AMD/ATI Hydragrid since I moved from ATI Eyefinity.

I LOVE IT!

For those interested, you just need to setup Nvidia Surround or 3D Surround like normal and then download the appropriate version of PowerDesk.

Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 x86:
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/drivers/download/?id=436

Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7 x64:
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/drivers/download/?id=437

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011, 20:33 

WOW i can't wait to try this, thanks for posting this man.

Post subject: I just installed and
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011, 20:49 

I just installed and configured matrox powerdesk exactly like you have yours, however when i hit apply or OK it doesn't seem to actually "do" anything. Is there a trick to finalize the desktop dividers? Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks again for posting this.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011, 20:52 

Windows will now snap and full screen properly but when i hit full screen on a flash stream (I like to watch starcraft 2 streams from twitch.tv) they still don't stay to that screen, it spans over the entire 6060x1080 display.

Wonder if the desktop divider doesn't work on flash players.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 14:05 

It wont work for any full screen apps. Only works for windowed apps. For what you want your only choice is using multi-monitor.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2011, 19:11 
Insiders
Insiders

Have you figured out a way to get the system tray/start menu button to appear in the center monitor?

i7-4770k @4ghz

16GB Ram

Planar SA2311W 3D Vision monitors (x3)

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2011, 13:54 

Yes I have found a way to get the start menu / task bar in the middle of a surround monitor setup!

Aston2 Windows Shell replacement.
http://www.astonshell.com/index.html

I just want to add HOW MUCH I LOVE this combo!!! Maximum efficiency and maximum performance without switching between multi-monitor and surround!
Just leave in surround mode and enjoy 4way SLI in surround with multi-monitor type flexibility!!!!

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2012, 04:46 

Phat,

You sir, my good man, are a freaking genius.

This post was EXACTLY what i was trying to do! I set up my 3 screen gaming system last week and have been having a total ball with it. but i also do real work on it. and so the window snapping and the long menu bar was driving me crazy.

Then you came along and brought a tear of joy to my eyes.

It took me like 15 minutes to set it up as you showed and viola!.

I'm not a big fan of all the Aston themes, but i just chose a boring old W7 theme (silly really... i shuold be able to simply disable themes), and got EXACTLY what I wanted.

I owe you a beer AND a steak sir.

The only downside is i have to spend 30 bucks for a single feature of the Aston thing. Centering the task bar on my middle window. But considering how much i have in this rig, and how important my neck is to me, i think its probably worth it.

Greatfully yours,

Sleep

Post subject: try rocketdock use
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 09:41 

try rocketdock
use traypopup,start, taskbartoggler by annex....,shutoff, stacks-docklet2 docklets

the start menu will still open to the far left but hey if you rig up stacks right you wont need the start menu at all, but I'm still looking for a way to get it relocated to center monitor

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2012, 02:31 

Thanks for the heads up on this! It has always bugged me that I had to keep manually resizing my windows to make them fit in the middle. This is awesome.

I also found a thread on the Nvidia forums about this (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=187417&st=0). It's funny how the Nvidia rep said they were working on including this in the drivers and that it would be available "early next year" - meaning early 2011. Still no official news from them on it either.

Anyway, on the 2nd page someone has a screenshot and a description of the tools they used to resize and center the start menu, task bar, and system tray. Gives a couple more options at least.