Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 17 May 2024, 23:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2013, 19:42 

Hi everyone,

I've been using Surround on my GTX-660 3Gb (using three monitors) for a while now, but some things keep bugging me.

-I have to switch back from Surround to normal when I stop gaming, otherwise my firefox (and others) window maximizes over 3 screens.
-When I stop Surround it shuts down my left and right monitor.
-When I stop Surround all my desktop icons have shifted to other places.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 04:17 
Editors
Editors

when you shut down Surround, do you use WindowsKey+P ?

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2013, 17:21 

I have had the same problems, and I gave up switching back and forth between surround and extended mode. To keep the windows on the correct monitor and prevent maximizing across all three screens, I have been using DeskSoft's WindowManager. Works for explorer windows and most programs.

http://www.desksoft.com/WindowManager.htm

For example, I have a desktop shortcut labeled "Desktop Right" and it is trained to open on the right monitor. Same for a "Desktop Left".

Most other programs (Firefox e.g.) are trained to open on center monitor. Though some (like iTunes) are trained to open on the left or right.

Works quite well (I have been through so many programs!) and I just upgraded to 3 Asus 27" screens and had to retrain all my programs for the new resolution, but after 20 minutes, back in business.

For the Start Bar, I use a QuickLaunch Menu to fill the entire left side with shortcuts to Games, and this leaves the open applications on the center screen. I use a second QuickLaunch Menu on the right side for applications.

Been working like this for years now, have not used extended mode during that time.

Core i7-8086K @ 5.0 Ghz | H60 | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti 6GB | Soundblaster Z | Asus Z370-A

16GB DDR4 | Win10 x64 | 3x27" Asus IPS @ 5760x1080 | Samsung 970 1TB NVMe