Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 09 May 2024, 23:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 May 2014, 06:14 

Hey Guys, i'm just trying to see what everyone else is getting on this game because mine plays like crap imho, and if i'm the only one, well i need to start sending computer parts back.

I'm playing Batman Arkham city (the second one). 5760x1200 on 3x 24" monitors.

i7-4930 @4.5 GHz
quad sli 780 ti's
32 GB 2666 Ram

GPU usage is low across the board, 30-60%. Frames dip into the high 40's 50's pretty frequently. I know there's a 60fps limit, and i've tried removing the FPS limit, fooling with vsync settings in game and nvidia control panel. I just don't see a reason FPS should be this low with these cards.

So, let me know if you guys get better frames than this, or if yours plays like crap too.

Thanks

PostPosted: 02 May 2014, 17:16 
Editors
Editors

Off the top of my abnormally large head...

1) If you want to compare performance you should start by posting your game settings and actual bench results ;)

2) FPS limit is not tied to v-sync but to UE3's "framerate smoothing":

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\WB Games\Batman Arkham City GOTY\BmGame\Config\BmEngine.ini

bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE //set to FALSE to disable smoothing completely...
MinSmoothedFrameRate=22
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62 //...or simply enter a higher value here (80, 999, whatever) to keep the smoothing but lose the cap. I set it to 162.

3) Does the game work OK with 4 cards ? Did you measure SLI scaling with 2, 3 then 4 cards ?

4) If SLI scaling sucks, PhysX set to High will only make matters worse (by all means give 3-way + dedicated Physx GPU a whirl).

5) DX11 FX are very resource-hungry and may not mix well with SLI, esp. with 4-way SLI and in Surround.

6) There's a lot of data streaming going on in the benchmark (next scene is prepped before current scene is over), so framerate dips are to be expected.

My config:
i7 4930K (3.4 GHz), 16 GB RAM
780 Ti (2-way SLI), nvidia driver 332.21
10K RPM HDD
Windows 7

My settings: all High except tesselation (Normal), FXAA High, 6060x1200
My results: Min 36, Max 120, Avg 77.

PostPosted: 02 May 2014, 17:32 

scavvenjahh wrote:
Off the top of my abnormally large head...

1) If you want to compare performance you should start by posting your game settings and actual bench results ;)

2) FPS limit is not tied to v-sync but to UE3's "framerate smoothing":

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\WB Games\Batman Arkham City GOTY\BmGame\Config\BmEngine.ini

bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE //set to FALSE to disable smoothing completely...
MinSmoothedFrameRate=22
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62 //...or simply enter a higher value here (80, 999, whatever) to keep the smoothing but lose the cap. I set it to 162.

3) Does the game work OK with 4 cards ? Did you measure SLI scaling with 2, 3 then 4 cards ?

4) If SLI scaling sucks, PhysX set to High will only make matters worse (by all means give 3-way + dedicated Physx GPU a whirl).

5) DX11 FX are very resource-hungry and may not mix well with SLI, esp. with 4-way SLI and in Surround.

6) There's a lot of data streaming going on in the benchmark (next scene is prepped before current scene is over), so framerate dips are to be expected.

My config:
i7 4930K (3.4 GHz), 16 GB RAM
780 Ti (2-way SLI), nvidia driver 332.21
10K RPM HDD
Windows 7

My settings: all High except tesselation (Normal), FXAA High, 6060x1200
My results: Min 36, Max 120, Avg 77.

Didn't even know there was a benchmark.

I tried to copy your settings, I didn't see you had a Physx setting, so mine was done with Physx=high.
5760x1200
driver 335.23

min 16
max 136
avg 79

PostPosted: 03 May 2014, 15:52 
Editors
Editors

"All High" includes PhysX, yes.

Yikes, there's definitely a problem on your end... Poor scaling is one thing, but this looks more like a hardware setup problem.

What results do you get with PhysX off ?
What's your PSU's make/model ?
Are your mobo's PCI-E slots configured as PCI-E 3.0 (in the BIOS) ?
Did you monitor GPU temps and clocks during the benchmark ?

Also if you haven't already done so, you should ask for help on hardware enthusiasts forums like hardforum.com, guru3D, evga... There are probably many more 4-way SLI users there than on the WSGF.

PostPosted: 04 May 2014, 18:41 

just bad performance in batman or other games as well?

Also, easy thing to miss, does your mobo have an additional power connector on it, might be a molex or sata power connector to feed additional power to the gpu system.
Most mobo's designed for multi gpu have them. Mine is hidden down the very bottom of the mobo and took me a while to find, even though i knew it had one

3 x 42 inch screens @5860x1080
16 gigs xmp ram @2200

PostPosted: 05 May 2014, 06:19 

I think it's poor performance in most games. But it's hard to tell. sometimes it feels like each game behaves badly in a different way.

I do have a molex connection for extra power for the GPU's, and it is connected.

My PSU is a rosewill 1600w.
PCIe slots are running @ 3.0
I do monitor temps of everything while gaming. and although some games like crysis 3 will push high GPU usage, batman goes no where near that. And as such, i have pretty low temps.

PostPosted: 09 May 2014, 11:24 
Editors
Editors

Good, so that's out of the way...
Can't do proper troubleshooting without some 2-way/3-way tests, though. If removing cards is too much trouble, use a 3-way SLI bridge and assign the 4th card to PhysX.