Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 10 May 2024, 01:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 May 2014, 17:03 

Hi i already posted 2 posts on toms hardware and then i noticed this excellent site and it would be more relevant here,

1st post :

Hi there first post here, ive been looking for days for the perfect monitor to go with my build in order run bf4, dayz, arma 3 and maybe some other games, not sure yet. i preferably want to set up Nvidia Surround and have 3 monitors, all the same model. im really looking for 120+ Hz since reading so many reviews and posts everyone is able to tell the the difference after using a 60hz monitor and im willing to sacrifice a bit of image quality for a better refresh rate, what your view on this point and have you accepted the same decision to gain hz over colour for games like dayz SA etc.

My price range is £150 - £250 per 23" - 24 1080p" Monitor, i really dont want to go higher but if theres an extra option available then i welcome it. Through my research im aware of the Asus VG248QE, it seems to always end up on top but i have read reviews of it lacking in image quality a lot and it has a very hefty price tag of £275 but from reading about it a lot it seems to be number #1 for gaming. Due to its high price id love to have more options for cheaper monitors of similar quality. id prefer a tn panel since i wont be moving them up or down much so the angels are a major issue and everywhere i read tn panels seem to be the better choice for gaming.
Im not sure yet but i might instead be interested in a single 27 " monitor again 120hz +, great colour etc but i would prefer 3 monitors

Whats your experience with the Asus VG248QE ? was it worth the cost and 144hz to sacrifice the colour ?

what ips monitors of similar quality to the Asus VG248QE is there out there with a cheaper price tag ?

Im not sure about ips monitors since i have no experience with comparing a high hz monitor to a ips but from ym research they have a much better colour quality so i welcome high end options.

My build is as follows, it will be from Dino PC once i decide on a couple things including a monitor choice that will live up to the rest of the components and bring the best out of them. (ive chosen dino pc since this is my first build and i dont trust myself, with my lack of experience and knowledge, i might end up doing harm to one of the components and end up spending more money to fixing it than i would of if i let Dino pc built it, id rather pay a little extra to have it built properly and ofc overclocked, ive read many of their reviews and they are highly recommended.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K
CPU Overclocking: 4.3Ghz - Extreme Overclock
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 Extreme Water Cooler
Operating System: Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper M5
RAM: 16GB Corsair 2133mhz Vengeance Pro (2x8GB)
Hard Drive: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA SSD
Secondary Hard Drive: 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s HHD
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB
Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio
Case: CM Storm Trooper or Corsair Obsidian 750D (Not sure Yet)
PSU: 750W Corsair RM Fully Modular
Warranty: 3 Year SureCare Warranty

This will be a costly build in the end but i hope i wont have to upgrade it for a while or have any issue with it since it will be tested by dino pc before being shipping out.
Any reply is a welcome response and much appreciated
Kind Regards Elliot

2nd post :

Hi People, ive made a post previously but about suggestions for a tn panel, but due to their high costs ive decided to looking into 3 ips monitors (5760x1080) as an option, id love some insight and suggestions for a high end ips monitor with less than 5ms response time and 24", the ips version of Asus VG248QE basically which seems to be the number #1 choice when it comes to tn panel.

My budget is £130 - £220 per monitor, well im open to any suggestion.

Id love to know what the numbers would be, what stable and constant fps my build would be able to pull off while playing a game like Dayz SA, on both a 5760x1080 ips setup and how much the hz would fluctuate up and down and what it would peak at with a tn panel such as Asus VG248QE (which is at 144 hz) would it cause a lot of tearing with my set up ?

what stable fps would my setup be able to stay at and perhaps peak too with this setup and monitor ?

Would have a low fps from using 3 of these monitors justify using them over an ips monitor which would stay at 60hz ?

What hz would 3 Asus VG248QE stay at with my setup ?

if its not capable of pulling the full potential from this expensive and high end tn panel monitor then would it be more viable to go with 3 ips monitors and take advantage of their better image quality ?

How would a single 27 " 4k monitor be a good suggestion for my setup or would my setup not pull its full potential ?

I was also curious about something with Nvidia Surround, am i able to switch between using all 3 monitors for certain games that can pull their full potential during 5760x1080 such as bf4, Dayz SA or Arma 3 and then only use the center screen 1920x1080 for games that dont need all 3 screen such as Garrys mod or WoW, or does Nvidia Surround only allow 1 or the other during game play ?

Kind Regards Elliot

PostPosted: 08 May 2014, 21:32 
Editors
Editors

Hi, and :welcome

I'd reccommend going with IPS monitors, as 5760x1080 in 120hz is hard to achieve with a single 780Ti you'd need to deactivate a lot of eye candy to get a stable 120 FPS !

Also why do you got with a 1TB HDD ? Do you want to install less than 10 Games ? 2 or 3 TB HDD's aren't that expensive anymore, and you wouldn't have to think about deleting games or save them on an external drive.

PostPosted: 08 May 2014, 22:13 

Hey thanks for your welcome i was told this was the place to come and thanks for the reply, i have 2 external wd 2tb hhd but i will probaly go with the internal 2tb hhd anyway in the end since its only £16 more than the 1tb.

About the monitor choice yeh after hours and hours of research the past couple days off ive looked at so many monitors my brain is putting 2 and 2 together.

Would you recommend using a different build for a triple monitor display, i was also thinking about going with what i have and in the eventual future get hold of a 2nd 780 Ti and go Sli to meet the needs of future games and keep up with better monitors.

how does that sound ?

Do you recommend a different motherboard by the way the reviews on this little guy seem to be very positive but how would it come up against a Gtx 780 ti Sli ?

ive seen several examples of the Asus VG248QE in use with Nvidia Surround and as far as colour and angels i just dont feel they look like such an issue since that is what holds so many people back from buying them, i imagine once configured the colour depth should end up to something reasonable and would be adequate for games such as dayz SA or tomb raider, from the images ive seen it doesn't look awful and when it comes to the angels of the monitors positions they wont be moved and i doubt the side monitors will come far in enough to show any difference from the center monitor, my head position wont be moving much so would they be a reasonable choice for Nvidia Surround ?

Do you have any suggestions for IPS Monitors in the price range of £130 -£250 that would equal the quality of the asus in its own strengths ?

Any idea what constant fps i would be able to pull off in Dayz SA, arma 3, bf4 or perhaps Wow on the Asus or an ips of your choice ?

Any insight from Asus VG248QE owners who also perhaps use them in Nvidia Surround or eyeinifinty with a similar build would be nice :) (its a big ask i know)

o so many questions i apologize, its a lot money ^^

kind regards Elliot

PostPosted: 09 May 2014, 09:26 

just go for DELL U2414H. ips 24 inch and 6mm borderless

it's my baby and there is amazing !

PostPosted: 09 May 2014, 09:47 

Well dammit prodigalson1 isnt that some eye candy, from all my the replies ive been receiving from people on many forums my build just wont run a stable fps with 3 Asus VG248QE as much as i wanted to see what 144hz would look like i wouldn't be getting a good enough fps with them so ill go with ISP sothe Dell is your suggestion, that is a damn fine layout you have there good man.

What are your specs prog ? and whats stable fps with the dell ?

i noticed the dell has a 8ms, is there maybe a newer model with less ms

ive been suggested Acer H236HL due to its thin bezzel, anyone with experience with this model ?

thnx again

Edit1: Just had another look at your photos and the bezel on your Dell looks so good its barely noticeable, somthing of similar quailty and bezel design but perhaps newer, perhaps cheaper and perhaps a lower ms, it might be out there ^^ any top rated gaming models with a very highly rated and praised image quality ?

Edit2: I forgot to ask something, while using Nvidia Surround would i be able to switch between using all 3 screen for gaming to only using the center screen ? e.g go 5760 x 1080 for bf4 and then go 1920 x 1080 for garrys mod or will my games only play in 5760 x 1080 with Nvidia Surround.

PostPosted: 09 May 2014, 12:11 

dell u2414h is new a monitor. (novembre 2013) review are very great

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm

colour are amazing, it's the best monitor with this bezel.

i play with 3 x gtx 780 and i7 4770k.

All games run at 60 fps.

In my opinion If you want to play with 3 monitors , you must go buy a second 780.

PostPosted: 09 May 2014, 17:33 

Im afraid i dont have the funds for 3x 780's let alone Sli 780 ti at the moment i will probably go Sli 780 Ti in the future to meet the needs of new games but i will have to settle with a single 780 Ti at the moment.

Did you compare the U2414H to other ips monitors before the purchase and what should i be looking when researching ips other than a low response time, i noticed the U2414H has 8ms. thnx

PostPosted: 10 May 2014, 13:32 
Editors
Editors

If you take a good look at the "Lag" section of the TFT Central review, you'll see that the 2414H has an awesome reaction time!
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/dell_u2414h/lag2.jpg
Official Data Manufactures write in their spec sheet cannot B's trusted!

The Problem with Monitors is that most people just have one type/model of monitor and keep that for a few years. So comparisons between different monitors are difficult for normal users. Therefore most advice you'll get will be ft review sites.

For the question of switching from 5760x1080 to 1920x1080, if you're not in game that's a simple key press, windows +P and you can toggle the mode in 3 seconds.

As for performance, I'd recommend a 780 SLI over a 780Ti, price/performance point of view.
TriSLI is a bad idea! When you get +90-100% performance from 1 to 2 cards you get around +8-20% performance plus from 2-3 cards and not the expected +50%.
Crappy drivers FTL

PostPosted: 10 May 2014, 17:06 

Yeh ive read that particular review and it shows very promising results and praises this particular monitor in many areas, i think its the perfect monitor for Nvidia Surround or Eyefinity at this very moment, until we see something new and improved in the future.

Im afaraid 780 Sli isnt in my budget at the moment either, i would prefer to add an extra £250 to the 780 sli and get 780 ti sli instead of 780 sli.

ill go with the 1 graphics card and upgrade to a 780 sli in a year or so when i have some more funds saved up.
ive read many places that crossfire 290's or 290x's give off a lot of sound and a lot of heat which would mean extra costs for cooling and i might run into other issues with 2 cards and ofc i would have to upgrade both where as i would only have to upgrade a 780 Ti with a 2nd to surpass the performance of crossfire 290's.
By the way when i do add an extra 780 Ti to make Sli, what would i have to do after connecting all the wires ?

PostPosted: 11 May 2014, 12:41 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SdhzcmgC5E

Loving my XL2720Z's :) Good riddance to motion blur!

Cooler Master Cosmos II | ASUS X99-Deluxe | Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme S | 5930k @ 4.5GHz | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz | SLI GTX 1080 Ti's | Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD | Corsair AX1500i | 3DMark Fire Strike Ultra - 13,780 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Nvidia Surround® 3 x BenQ XL2735 | Samsung CHG90 Auxiliary Monitor