Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 07:30 

Need Help, NVidia surround with MSI GT80S-6QD laptop x2-970m MAJOR PROBLEM
Purchased above laptop, xoticpc website received laptop configuration different from website was advertised as x2 mDP ports x1 HDMI x1 lighting (usb 3.1c) BUT Actually has X1 each lighting port (3.1usb type c), mDP, HDMI. Laptop will not recognize usb 3.1 even after removing all proprietary software (MSI) and ensuring BIOS is updated for 3.1c firmware. I'm deployed in Kuwait and have already gone through x2 techs at Xoticpc for help without luck. x1 tech at MSI telling me to uninstall and reinstall sub drivers which I already did with the Xoticpc techs. Should I reformat and put win 7 ultimate or just throw in towel. Someone please help. Running win 10 pro
Specs: laptop-MSI GT80S-6QD
x2 toshiba 128Gb nVME (not in raid)
x1 Samsung 850 EVO m2
X1 5400rpm 2Tb hdd
x2 nVidia GTX-970m in sli
64 Gb Ram @ 2133 mHz
Killer wireless

Monitors: (x3)Dell 27" 3D nVidia G-sync 144Hz 1ms refresh @ 2560x1440

JUST WANT MY SYSTEM TO WORK-waited over a year for purchase and now don't want to rma paying shipping $283.00 one way just to fix ANYONE PLEASE ASSIST Thank you for your time and support

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2016, 14:50 

I'm a little confused as to what, exactly, you're saying is the issue. You say
LRSD18 wrote:
...laptop configuration different from website was advertised as x2 mDP ports x1 HDMI x1 lighting (usb 3.1c) BUT Actually has X1 each lighting port (3.1usb type c), mDP, HDMI.

By this I'm assuming you're saying your laptop has one USB 3.1C, one mini-DisplayPort and one HDMI output. Is this correct?

You then say
LRSD18 wrote:
Laptop will not recognize usb 3.1 even after removing all proprietary software (MSI) and ensuring BIOS is updated for 3.1c firmware.

By this, do you mean that the USB-C port is not recognised at all (does not show up in Device Manager, does not see eg. external HDDs or phones plugged into it), or merely that a display attached to that port using a USB-C-to-DisplayPort adapter is not recognised?

If it's the first, then there's clearly a problem with the laptop full-stop, and you should RMA it as it's obviously broken. If it's the second, then the laptop may not support DisplayPort-over-USB-C, which might be a driver issue.

Either way, if the vendor you bought the laptop from advertised it as having one particular configuration but actually sent you a totally different configuration, I'd be complaining, sending it back ASAP and refusing to pay for shipping. If the vendor refuses, I'd file a dispute with my bank or chargeback with credit card. You say 'deployed in Kuwait', which I'm guessing means you're American, and while I'm not overly familiar with American consumer law I'd be very surprised if that sort of behaviour wasn't illegal.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2016, 15:29 

So their fix for this issue to use the usb 3.1c was to purchase an (active adapter) bought the "club3d" for usb3.1c to HDMI. This was the fix both from the vendor and MSI. Well luckily it works and now I do have all 3 screens up running and being used for gaming. Haven't tried any 3D stuff yet, checking your site for games and compatibility settings.
Thanks for the intell.