Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 02:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2011, 19:03 
Editors
Editors

Just a heads up for those that might consider a new SB setup.
Seems the new and shiny Sandy Bridge chipsets have a design flaw:

SANTA CLARA, Calif., Jan. 31, 2011 - As part of ongoing quality assurance, Intel Corporation has discovered a design issue in a recently released support chip, the Intel® 6 Series, code-named Cougar Point, and has implemented a silicon fix. In some cases, the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives. The chipset is utilized in PCs with Intel's latest Second Generation Intel Core processors, code-named Sandy Bridge. Intel has stopped shipment of the affected support chip from its factories. Intel has corrected the design issue, and has begun manufacturing a new version of the support chip which will resolve the issue. The Sandy Bridge microprocessor is unaffected and no other products are affected by this issue.

The company expects to begin delivering the updated version of the chipset to customers in late February and expects full volume recovery in April. Intel stands behind its products and is committed to product quality. For computer makers and other Intel customers that have bought potentially affected chipsets or systems, Intel will work with its OEM partners to accept the return of the affected chipsets, and plans to support modifications or replacements needed on motherboards or systems. The systems with the affected support chips have only been shipping since January 9th and the company believes that relatively few consumers are impacted by this issue. The only systems sold to an end customer potentially impacted are Second Generation Core i5 and Core i7 quad core based systems. Intel believes that consumers can continue to use their systems with confidence, while working with their computer manufacturer for a permanent solution. For further information consumers should contact Intel at http://www.intel.com on the support page or contact their OEM manufacturer.

http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/blog/2011/01/31/intel-identifies-chipset-design-error-implementing-solution

I have, of course, a Sabertooth P67 + I5-2500K on the way so this news could spoil my day. :evil:

Update:

AT have written an article about this, going more indepth:

It’s Limited to 3Gbps Ports Only
Interestingly enough the problem doesn’t affect ports 1 & 2 on the 6-series chipset. Remember that Intel has two 6Gbps ports and four 3Gbps ports on P67/H67, only the latter four are impacted by this problem.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 04:58 
Insiders
Insiders

I just had a failure of my Core2Duo motherboard so I upgraded to a Sandybridge build last week. Go figure. Fortunately I am using "only" 4 ports and can move them over to the non-affected SATA ports. Still, not pleased about it... we'll see how the recall process goes. If the motherboard manufacturers don't offer to cross ship replacements, there will be A LOT of angry people.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 06:15 

I'm a little worried about 3rd party motherboard manufacturers (ie: ASRock, Asus, Msi, Giga, etc....) repairing motherboards instead of replacing them. Even more worried about them repairing their inventory of unsold motherboards. Really doubt Intel is gonna shell out the $$$ to those manufacturers to cover the entire motherboard vs sending them new P67 chipsets.

I remember the whole Nvidia fiasco with the 8600gt GPU in my older Macbook Pro that they tried to deny for the longest time, and the 8800gt in my MacPro. They both bit the bullet prematurely. Took me since the 8xxx series to the GTX5xx series to work up the courage to try Team Green again.

Then again i'm a little paranoid. Guess i'll just wait and see.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 19:06 
Insiders
Insiders

This is funny. They can say that SATA is unreliable when it comes to marketing lightpeak now :)

Glad I didn't jump in head first for a SB system anyway!

DC3217IYE | 1x4GB Vengeance | 64GB M4 | TX-42VT20E

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011, 15:38 
Editors
Editors

Lol! I am kinda glad I got the SB and Sabertooth before this happened. It finally arrived today and I am impressed. Tested it out with Black ops and now the game is smooth as butter. The 570 Phantom is more greedy when it comes to CPU then 5870 to achieve the same framerate, so before the SB it was stuttering from hell. Now I am more pleased. :D

Here you can see the 12 sensors in idle with a mild "press a button" OC @ 4286.7 (some autotune thingy). This is with fans on low RPM for quiet computing. :D :

I've just started testing it, but I like SB so far.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 12:11 

Yeah been a while since I upgraded and this happens, typical!
Still waiting for an email back from the e-tailer i used regarding were we stand.
Although my boards got 4xsata 3 ports, i may be able to juggle them around.

Other than this, it's a great chip so far. 5ghz on air is just awesome.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 22:35 
Insiders
Insiders

An I wanted to upgrade. Well, I guess I'll wait till this is all situated.