Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 May 2024, 01:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 770 vs 670
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 19:14 

@Haldi - I know I've seen 3g and I would imagine there are 4g. But my requirement for a blower styled cooler limits me, as soo far I've only seen 2g blower 770's so far that interest me.

@Halifax, perhaps the difference between sli in surround is a similar effect as a multi threaded benchmark between a quad core i5 and a i7 (Hyperthreading).

Single monitor with SLI, extra "Cores/threads" wasted, put it on 3/6 screens, its used.

i7 plaing games wasted, encoding? Its used?

Not sure if its a proper analogy, nor one that I have done any research into, but depending on how Nvidia does their drivers for SLI it could be a similar situation.

As it stands now I'm gunna have to go single GPU, I can't afford an sli setup now, and even if I could it would make upgrading in the future a bit rougher than simply slapping in a second card a year or two down the road at a then cheaper price.

But since I don't plan on doing any 3d, perhaps a single 670 would be alright? I just really wanna save that $50 if its possible without hamstringing my gaming. I'm not expecting 5760 maxed balls to the walls settings for BF3, but if I could hit high/ultra textures, and keep the AA down a bit I would be a very happy man.

As it stands now though would you see a 256 bit interface hamstringing me now or in the near future? Also would 2g be enough for triple screen gaming?

If so, then I suppose the 770 will be the way to go and I'll just have to eat the $50. I feel like an idiot trying to save it when we are talking this kinda of price point for a system. I just don't have that much to work with.

Also do people here sell gently used parts here at discounts? That might help things along for me quite a bit!

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 21:33 

Just a heads up, playing BF3 with a 670 in 5760x1080 (or even higher with bezel correction) in high will probably net you <30-40fps which isn't that much fun imo but you can lower the resolution a bit and get it running fine.

edit: on <high settings. I'm pulling these numbers out of my rear but it's a guesstimate.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 22:51 
Editors
Editors

Refuge88 wrote:
As it stands now though would you see a 256 bit interface hamstringing me now or in the near future? Also would 2g be enough for triple screen gaming?

If so, then I suppose the 770 will be the way to go and I'll just have to eat the $50. I feel like an idiot trying to save it when we are talking this kinda of price point for a system. I just don't have that much to work with.

You won't have problems with a 256bit interface, and you should be able to play Games on middle/high settings for the next 2 years with a 670 and 2gb.

It's just that i myself dislike buying a smaller product for little less cash if i could have the better one.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2013, 17:40 

I do too, and back in the heyday of the 90's I never comprimised...

Now? I don't quite have the monetary freedom I once had.

I do appreciate all the input from you guys though :)

It was a fun covnersation :)