Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 12 Jun 2024, 04:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2006, 21:12 

Ok so I don't mind if the monitor is not hardcore hd like you guys are trying to describe. I want a good quality picture and a screen that can handle fast paced games. What about a plasma?

Have you consider this:

http://www.viewsonic.com.au/products/lcdtv/specs.php?n=N3260w

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2006, 23:08 
Editors
Editors

W2600 Dell 26" LCD. Does a pretty good job as my main PC. Yet to play a game on it.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2006, 01:17 
Founder
Founder

benl87,

Wiz is right about plasmas - there are other issues about it also & as well they are inch for inch more expensive than LCD's.

As for the N3260w Wiz suggested - I have the exact model (last years)
the N3250w - it is amazing!!

I have written the review here http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/5988

I had lent it to my neighbour since I got it to give it a 6 month+ test before taking & leaving it 1000 miles away at out summer place.

I am picking it up this weekend & will hook it to my PC & try it out as a monitor & post my findings.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2006, 13:25 

"As for the N3260w Wiz suggested - I have the exact model (last years)
the N3250w - it is amazing!! "

That's awesome dude!! Anything you post is greatly appreciated. It's within my price range aswell. Did it come with a warranty??

"I am picking it up this weekend & will hook it to my PC & try it out as a monitor & post my findings."

Oh please do!! :D:D

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2006, 01:24 
Founder
Founder

RE: "Did it come with a warranty??

Boy did it ever !!! - Not only the manufacturer's but Costco's warranty as well... :D

I hope to get it back from my buddy this thursday - so Friday I should be trying it out.

Another nice thing & very rare for (TV's) it comes with software for installation for PC's. The site just has just posted a new updated firmware version too.

I will post my findings ASAP.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2006, 19:43 
Founder
Founder

Well I picked it up last night from my buddies house & as I promised to do many months ago - I hooked it up earlier this AM to my PC & :shock:

Yes.... :shock: Absolutely amazing - I was greatly surprised.

Before installing the N3260w - I first installed the previously downloaded Windows signed drivers & re-did the settings from the L2335 1920X1200 ones.

I used a DVI to VGA adapter plug as the N3260w does not have a DVI input.

At the risk of getting labeled "Fanboy" I will post my honest impressions anyway.

I had found this to be a very fine LCD HDTV & now find this is VERY impressive to use as a PC monitor!

I ran desktop apps, games, WMD movies (hi & low res) & did not find any flaws. My ASUS EAX actually liked running at 1366 X 768 instead of 1920 X 1200 which is a tad high for it.

Word Docs & web browsing were "perfect" text was defined & not "dotty" or pixelated. It was crisp, clear & readable from 2 feet to at leat 9 feet away.
During gaming I was finally able to run settings at max as my card could support it all at the lower resolution.
Photshopping was easy on the eyes & picture definitions were clear & smooth.

What immediately got me when gaming was the brillance of colours in the scenes - HDR was spectacular (Lost Coast HDR HD demo).
I experienced no banding whatsover or any motion blurring.

NOTE: I had tweaked down my ATI CCC settings & desktop resolution for the N3260w before I hooked it up as is always recommended.
I did not feel there was any need at all to tweak the N3260w settings via its extensive OS Menu

Here are some pics of the screen shot in the dark - they don't due the actual visuals complete justice...

I would recommend this set 100% - equally for HDTV & PC monitor use.

I would speculate it would be equally stunning for console use as well.

Don't go out & get one - RUN out & get one.

Click these pics for 1366 X ~768 size

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2006, 06:50 

Good review Doug... I'd like to see someone around here pickup one of the Westinghouse 42" 1080p monitors. Personally if I buy a HDTV it's going to be one of those Westinghouses, they are pretty damn slick IMO :)

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2006, 07:58 

"]Good review Doug... I'd like to see someone around here pickup one of the Westinghouse 42" 1080p monitors. Personally if I buy a HDTV it's going to be one of those Westinghouses, they are pretty damn slick IMO :)

Don't have a Westy but I do have the Sceptre 42" 1920x1080 and it's pretty damn nice ;-)

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2006, 11:04 

I was looking at that myself, I think Newegg had the 37" and the 42". Looked good but I didn't have 2,000 to spend on it. Anybody know how much one of the Westinghouse models goes for?

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2006, 20:52 

"]I was looking at that myself, I think Newegg had the 37" and the 42". Looked good but I didn't have 2,000 to spend on it. Anybody know how much one of the Westinghouse models goes for?

The Westy and Sceptre is usually priced very close. The 37" have recently dropped to about $1500 and the 42" is around $1800.